No Longer "Obese"

Options
I really always hated that word. Now I can say I am no longer in the "Obese" category from a BMI standpoint. Which I understand is nothing more than fictitious babble insurance companies created and the real measurement is BF% (which is also considerably down from where I was at).

Still a victory is a victory!

Anyone else moved from the "Obese" category to "Overweight" category and did back flips about it?

Replies

• akp4Him
    akp4Him Posts: 227
    Options
    Me...I was just shy of morbidly obese two years ago. Last December I finally moved to being a normal weight. I was, and still am, overjoyed!!!
    Congratulations!!!
  • tmj19147
    tmj19147 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Congrats to you!!! It is one of those words that no one wants to be associated with. What a great acheivement, go ahead and enjoy it.
  • jasonheyd
    jasonheyd Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    Yup, been there. Congrats. :)
  • dltaylorii
    dltaylorii Posts: 132
    Options
    Congrats. And go Bulls!
  • chellycakes
    chellycakes Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Ohh I remember it...sucked :(. WTG!!
  • Bizzarrini
    Bizzarrini Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Great! :)) This morning I hit the 'healthy' BMI range and it is a super feeling to shake off a label. Wishing you loads of support as you traverse your weight down through the 'overweight' catergory to 'healthy'. Keep going:))
  • Librariangetsfit
    Librariangetsfit Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I remember when I finally got into the overweight catergory, it was an awesome feeling. Good work.
  • jessykab74
    jessykab74 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    YAY!!! CONGRATS!!! That is awesome! I too was on a huge high when I was told normal weight. Then I looked at my trainer and said wait, I was obese before? I mean I new I was over weight but obese........now understanding when you are over 30% you are considered obese.
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    great
    ive lost 27 pounds
    10 percent of body weight- 2 inches off waist
    got ot onderland
    i have i have 8 mor e pounds to go from obese to over w eight category

i am so happy for you- great work. keep it up
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!
  • JerZRob
    JerZRob Posts: 68
    Options
    I'm about 2 lbs away from it. Been in this catagory for about 2 years now and really looking forward to being out of it again.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,718 Member
    Options
    I finally hit overweight BMI last week too. Happy for you.
  • anabelsmummy123
    anabelsmummy123 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    congrats to all xx
  • notenoughspeed
    notenoughspeed Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    The last time I reached the overweight category was winter of 99, and I ended up right at the high end of normal by that spring. Hells yes, I did backflips! Life changed for me in ways I couldn't yet imagine. Been over a decade since I moved out of any obese category. I'm in the middle of Cat 1 obesity range, but I'll catch up to you soon. Congrats on your success.
  • sunshyncatra
    sunshyncatra Posts: 598 Member
    Options
    Yes! I was so happy when I crossed that imaginary line!
  • Galicarm
    Galicarm Posts: 4
    Options
    Been there too. Congrats! BMI calculators may not be perfect, but they're a good incentive.
  • cuttingshadow
    cuttingshadow Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Congrats !!!!! .... Really a wonderful achievement, I am also working on crossing the first BMI line from top, but the second one to healthy looks scary and wondering how long will it take to achieve that goal..
  • dittmarml
    dittmarml Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Yep - though I still have about 20 lbs to go, I'm out of the "red" along with you! congratulations!!!!

<edit> - have lost 5 lbs since joining MFP but lost 55 pounds in the 7 years previous...that's alot of weight at 5'1" - it's the road you're on that matters!
  • nicola1141
    nicola1141 Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    Congrats! Yeah, it's such a fun milestone! Definitely celebrate it!
  • MzTanya77
    MzTanya77 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I certainly did!!! For years I lingered in the Obese category even after losing 80lbs and weight training. I am finally in the Overweight category. I'm trying to stay in the middle of the category so around BMI 27 or so.............Congrats to you!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!