Juice Plus is it really healthier than fresh vegs/fruits?

Options
amaysngrace
amaysngrace Posts: 742 Member
I have a neighbor who swears that Juice Plus is the way to go. Now mind you, that she refuses to exercise, as I have asked her many times to accompany me on walks, she wont even walk her poor dog. She feels that meditation is enough and her juice plus supplement pills. If I mention to her what my son eats and how picky he is being autistic and such, she rants about how juice plus would solve all his health problems blah blah blah.

My question to her was what is the difference from my son drinking veggies mixed with juice, taking a multivitamin and/or getting vitamins and mineral from his fortified oatmeal, as opposed to him consuming a juice plus pill that is supposed to be veggies and juices in a powdered form? She claimed the difference was that these juice plus pills contain organic fruits and veggies. I asked her how did she know? Then I told her I could not afford it and I would stick to my fresh fruits and vegetables that I get at the grocery store.

She says I do not understand you, it is a no-brainer, if your son is being a picky eater and autistic, then it just seems like common sense to get him on the juice plus supplements. I looked at her sidewise and thought to myself, this is the same woman that smokes cigarettes everyday and both of her older kids now smoke, and she has the nerve to get on me about the health of my son, who is autistic and does not eat many foods because of his sensory disorders. Then the last straw for me was when she slipped this in and said, "Well, I would not get him any more vaccinations if I were you?" I was like WTH, my son already has autism, what more can I prevent him from getting now by not getting him vaccinated from this point forward?!?

Anyways, has anyone heard or tried this juice plus stuff, and does it really work or is it just another supplement out there that they are trying to push on consumers?

Replies

• christinaestrada
    Options
    Hey there girl!
    Well, I'm terribly sad to hear that your neighbor is such a walking contradiction. Unfortunately, people are always looking for a "magic pill" to help them rationalize their bad habits. Keep persisting and asking her to walk with you - she may come around and you might be her role model for good health! Anyway, you asked about Juice Plus.

I'll tell you what I know, but first let me also tell you that I'm a certified master elite personal trainer with seven specialized certificates, an exercise science degree, and well over ten years experience coaching people...

Okay, Juice Plus: it is NOT a substitute for eating whole foods! The company website even expresses this concern. Juice Plus is a way to complement a healthy diet or supplement a not-so-healthy diet. It's also been shown that taking Juice Plus helps people transition from eating what is called the Standard American Diet to eating a healthier whole foods-based diet. But it is not a substitute for good eating habits.

Not all of the fruits and vegetables in Juice Plus are organic. It would be impossible for the company to find enough organic growers to produce and harvest the amount of whole foods needed to create the product and meet the demand of the product. However, when they can get organic foods, they do.

The Juice Plus capsules - Garden, Orchard, and Vineyard - contain the concentrated juices, pulp and fiber of 26 different fruits, vegetables, and grains. That's a WHOLE LOT of nutrition packed into three products. Even a vegetarian would have a hard time getting the variety of nutrition that Juice Plus provides.

Anyway...the power of fruits and vegetables can't be understated, and you're doing a great job by giving your son veggies mixed with juice. But I would encourage you to take a more objective view of the products. You're probably annoyed as heck by your (for lack of a better word) hypocrite neighbor. You owe it to yourself to check it out more in depth. Also, the company is doing what they call, the Children's Health Study, and your son can get his Juice Plus for Free as long as you are also taking it.

From personal experience, my family and I have been taking this for almost a year. I have more energy, my husband sleeps better, my three sons have more energy (so glad I have more energy now to keep up with them!)

On a side note, as far as vitamin/mineral supplements go. Please don't get anything over-the-counter. The pills in the grocery store are not even digested, which means a.) you're wasting your money, b.) your son is getting no benefit. Try a natural food store or look online. I'm also available if you have any questions. I have a huge network of doctors and other health professionals that I work with, so I'm sure I can find an answer to any question you have.

I hope that answers your question!

Christina Estrada
  • bearcrusher
    bearcrusher Posts: 90
    Options
    Ignore your crazy neighbour. You are doing it right giving your kids real fresh veggies. You're teaching them what healthy food is and how to eat right. They shouldn't rely on some pill which claims to be able to fix everything for them.
    So leave her alone and let her get her exercise through meditation (hilarious, might as well just take a nap) and you and your family go about your healthy lives.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    I use juice plus sometimes. The little gummies are friggin delicious and that's usually the main reason I'll eat them. I'll also take them if I'd rather save my carbs for cookies but feel like I should be getting in more nutrients for fewer calories. Two gummies are 15 calories so I don't have a problem fitting that into my goals. I definitely wouldn't say they're like magic or anything, it's basically just a gummy vitamin that tastes pretty damn good.
  • amaysngrace
    Options
    Oh my! That is unfortunate that you experienced this incidence with this lady. Her comments were rude and not quite 100% accurate or what Juice Plus endorses.

I actually started taking Juice Plus as a supplement in 2008 because I knew I didn't eat enough fruits and veggies for myself or prepare enough for my kids.

It made sense to me when I read about it in a health book and I signed up as a customer immediately. Since then, I have healed myself and joined the business in 2012.

Your neighbor is SO WRONG! Nothing replaces fresh fruits and veggies. Period. If you are already juicing/smoothies and preparing an adequate amount for your family, you are in the minority and definitely on the right track.

If you would like more info about the product you can contact me privately or visit my website and I have a link for "fruits and veggies" http://www.AmericasTopHealthCoach.com.

Reeshemah Holmes
    Certified Holistic Health Coach

Thanks, I will check you out!
  • amaysngrace
    Options
    Hey there girl!
    Well, I'm terribly sad to hear that your neighbor is such a walking contradiction. Unfortunately, people are always looking for a "magic pill" to help them rationalize their bad habits. Keep persisting and asking her to walk with you - she may come around and you might be her role model for good health! Anyway, you asked about Juice Plus.

I'll tell you what I know, but first let me also tell you that I'm a certified master elite personal trainer with seven specialized certificates, an exercise science degree, and well over ten years experience coaching people...

Okay, Juice Plus: it is NOT a substitute for eating whole foods! The company website even expresses this concern. Juice Plus is a way to complement a healthy diet or supplement a not-so-healthy diet. It's also been shown that taking Juice Plus helps people transition from eating what is called the Standard American Diet to eating a healthier whole foods-based diet. But it is not a substitute for good eating habits.

Not all of the fruits and vegetables in Juice Plus are organic. It would be impossible for the company to find enough organic growers to produce and harvest the amount of whole foods needed to create the product and meet the demand of the product. However, when they can get organic foods, they do.

The Juice Plus capsules - Garden, Orchard, and Vineyard - contain the concentrated juices, pulp and fiber of 26 different fruits, vegetables, and grains. That's a WHOLE LOT of nutrition packed into three products. Even a vegetarian would have a hard time getting the variety of nutrition that Juice Plus provides.

Anyway...the power of fruits and vegetables can't be understated, and you're doing a great job by giving your son veggies mixed with juice. But I would encourage you to take a more objective view of the products. You're probably annoyed as heck by your (for lack of a better word) hypocrite neighbor. You owe it to yourself to check it out more in depth. Also, the company is doing what they call, the Children's Health Study, and your son can get his Juice Plus for Free as long as you are also taking it.

From personal experience, my family and I have been taking this for almost a year. I have more energy, my husband sleeps better, my three sons have more energy (so glad I have more energy now to keep up with them!)

On a side note, as far as vitamin/mineral supplements go. Please don't get anything over-the-counter. The pills in the grocery store are not even digested, which means a.) you're wasting your money, b.) your son is getting no benefit. Try a natural food store or look online. I'm also available if you have any questions. I have a huge network of doctors and other health professionals that I work with, so I'm sure I can find an answer to any question you have.

I hope that answers your question!

Christina Estrada

Well, you are right, 26 varieties is a lot to pack into one pill! I will be contacting you as well.
  • amaysngrace
    Options
    I use juice plus sometimes. The little gummies are friggin delicious and that's usually the main reason I'll eat them. I'll also take them if I'd rather save my carbs for cookies but feel like I should be getting in more nutrients for fewer calories. Two gummies are 15 calories so I don't have a problem fitting that into my goals. I definitely wouldn't say they're like magic or anything, it's basically just a gummy vitamin that tastes pretty damn good.

Okay, now I want some gummy bears!
  • amaysngrace
    Options
    Ignore your crazy neighbour. You are doing it right giving your kids real fresh veggies. You're teaching them what healthy food is and how to eat right. They shouldn't rely on some pill which claims to be able to fix everything for them.
    So leave her alone and let her get her exercise through meditation (hilarious, might as well just take a nap) and you and your family go about your healthy lives.

Yeah, she used to teach yoga, but in the 4 years that I have been her neighbor, I have seen her balloon from a size 4 to a size 14, so much for the meditation-only exercise!
  • coqui2010
    coqui2010 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    No it is not a replacement for your fruits and veggies it is a supplement and a very good one at that. I have been taking this product for three months now and can already feel a great difference. If you eat unhealthy it will for sure help aid you in a transition of eating healthier. Also I have found that I have more energy and have craved less processed foods. I still eat veggies and fruits everyday!!!! I love their protein powder that I use to make delicious shakes with; also which I often substitute for one meal especially on the weekends. I don't know about you but the weekends are the worst for me I tend to overeat because I am not busy all day like when I'm at work.

I also think that if you purchase this product they give your children the product for free!! I would definitely look into this if I were you and the studies are unbelievable. Check it out and do some research if you feel it will help with your overall health and your families then do it. It sounds like you eat healthy so this would merely help towards a better overall health! Keep it up!!! =)
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I am a rep for JuicePLUS and firstly I would like to apologise for the misleading information that your neighbour has given you.
    The juiceplus capsules that she has been talking about are made of 26 different fruits and vegetables which comes from the raw fruit & veg. Taking the capsules, believe it or not, actually supplies you with more nutrition and goodness than eating fresh veg that you have cooked yourself. A lot of people don't know this but when you are cooking your veg, e.g. boiling it, you are actually boiling out all the goodness so you are getting next to no nutrition from the veg. The capsules are a great way to get all the nutrition you need, to boost your energy etc.

If you would like more information on any of the JuicePLUS capsules then please get in touch x

Stop trying to sell your product on the forums. It's against the TOS.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I am a rep for JuicePLUS and firstly I would like to apologise for the misleading information that your neighbour has given you.
    The juiceplus capsules that she has been talking about are made of 26 different fruits and vegetables which comes from the raw fruit & veg. Taking the capsules, believe it or not, actually supplies you with more nutrition and goodness than eating fresh veg that you have cooked yourself. A lot of people don't know this but when you are cooking your veg, e.g. boiling it, you are actually boiling out all the goodness so you are getting next to no nutrition from the veg. The capsules are a great way to get all the nutrition you need, to boost your energy etc.

If you would like more information on any of the JuicePLUS capsules then please get in touch x

^ This. And, also quite happy to join the inevitable class action law suit that will come if that bolded part is really part of their claims.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    First two posts were sales pitches as well. Don't contact them.

You don't need pills and the claims of the pills are bogus. Just feed your family real fruits and vegetables. Our grandparents and ancestors did that their entire lives and they were just fine.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    Options
    Hi,

^ This. And, also quite happy to join the inevitable class action law suit that will come if that bolded part is really part of their claims.

How did I miss the bolded?!?!!? Man alive, that's some crock of.....
  • TrailNurse
    TrailNurse Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Juice Plus is not bogus. Lot's of published medical studies to back up their nutritional claims.

My husband and I have been taking Juice Plus for about 3 years now. Can't get better nutrition than that especially if you are unable to get all of your fruits and vegetables in. I take the Garden, Orchard and the Vineyard gummies. We are never sick. Hair, skin and nails are awesome and have crazy energy. As a matter of fact.....I don't feel right if I don't take them.

Here is a link to the clinical studies associated with Juice Plus.
    http://www.juiceplus.com/content/JuicePlus/en/clinical-research/juice-plus-clinical-research.html#.U8hfV_ldXAk

I don't sell Juice Plus nor am I affiliated with them in any way. Just a customer.
  • SunofaBeach14
    Options
    Juice Plus is not bogus. Lot's of published medical studies to back up their nutritional claims.

My husband and I have been taking Juice Plus for about 3 years now. Can't get better nutrition than that especially if you are unable to get all of your fruits and vegetables in. I take the Garden, Orchard and the Vineyard gummies. We are never sick. Hair, skin and nails are awesome and have crazy energy. As a matter of fact.....I don't feel right if I don't take them.

http://www.juiceplus.com/content/JuicePlus/en/clinical-research/juice-plus-clinical-research.html#.U8hfV_ldXAk

I don't sell Juice Plus nor am I affiliated with them in any way. Just a customer.

Sorry, but even the introductory paragraph of your linked page, the one making the advertising claims, doesn't go as far as the statement I quoted above and bolded. In fact, it contradicts it.
    We want the best fuel for our bodies and fruits and vegetables are recommended choices. But when papaya, kale, or elderberries don’t make it onto the plate, the next best thing to fruits and vegetables is Juice Plus+.

They apparently know better than to make the wild claims that I quoted above. You'd be better off eating a balanced diet with plenty of fruits and vegetables.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    Options

So that's a link to a clinical study paid for by them on their website...and that couldn't possibly be skewed at all right?
  • 6ftamazon
    6ftamazon Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I think they're just a glorified multivitamin and it boggles my mind that people will eat those things instead of real fruits and vegetables, which aren't only cheaper and more nutritious, but are way less processed. As well, there's been studies that show that their nutritional claims are very inaccurate and health benefits questionable.
  • SunofaBeach14
    Options
    Oh, and OP, as for the vaccine comment, the "researcher" who is responsible for the Autism/vaccine link, Dr. Andrew Wakefield, was discredited, his paper actually retracted, and his license was revoked.

http://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/antivaccine-hero-andrew-wakefield-scientific-fraud/
  • TrailNurse
    TrailNurse Posts: 359 Member
    Options

So that's a link to a clinical study paid for by them on their website...and that couldn't possibly be skewed at all right?

Did you even read the studies? They are sponsored by various Universities. Please do a little research before you speak.
  • nam985
    nam985 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Did you even read the studies? They are sponsored by various Universities. Please do a little research before you speak.

These studies were indeed paid for by the manufacturers, the sources of funding are listed within the body of the manuscript. Please read the actual primary reports before you speak.

Example #1 - Adjunctive daily supplementation with encapsulated fruit, vegetable and berry juice powder concentrates and clinical periodontal outcomes: a double-blind RCT - Funding provided by NSA LLC ( = Juice+)

Example #2 - A Mixed Fruit and Vegetable Concentrate Increases Plasma Antioxidant Vitamins and Folate and Lowers Plasma Homocysteine in Men - Funding provided by Natural Alternatives International (= Juice+)

Example #3 - Juice Powder Concentrate and Systemic Blood Pressure, Progression of Coronary Artery Calcium and Antioxidant Status in Hypertensive Subjects: A Pilot Study - Funding provided by NSA LLC ( = Juice+)

Need I continue?

While the actual experimental work would have been conducted by a research group from a university, the funding to carry out the studies was provided by the company itself. This is a common occurrence within science (source: over the course of my research career I have worked on numerous vaccine trials which were paid for by the pharmaceutical companies, they developed the product, we evaluated its efficacy).
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    Options

These studies were indeed paid for by the manufacturers, the sources of funding are listed within the body of the manuscript. Please read the actual primary reports before you speak.

Example #1 - Adjunctive daily supplementation with encapsulated fruit, vegetable and berry juice powder concentrates and clinical periodontal outcomes: a double-blind RCT - Funding provided by NSA LLC ( = Juice+)

Example #2 - A Mixed Fruit and Vegetable Concentrate Increases Plasma Antioxidant Vitamins and Folate and Lowers Plasma Homocysteine in Men - Funding provided by Natural Alternatives International (= Juice+)

Example #3 - Juice Powder Concentrate and Systemic Blood Pressure, Progression of Coronary Artery Calcium and Antioxidant Status in Hypertensive Subjects: A Pilot Study - Funding provided by NSA LLC ( = Juice+)

Need I continue?

While the actual experimental work would have been conducted by a research group from a university, the funding to carry out the studies was provided by the company itself. This is a common occurrence within science (source: over the course of my research career I have worked on numerous vaccine trials which were paid for by the pharmaceutical companies, they developed the product, we evaluated its efficacy).

QFT...also...You...I like you...

Yes I did, still doesn't make the studies worth anything.