How do I stay motivated?

Options
I know there are no simple answers to this and the solution is to just keep on keeping on, but I feel so disheartened. I need to lose about 20kgs, that is about 44 pounds, just to get in the overweight category! I have been obese most of my life. MFP has helped and has made me more mindful of what I'm eating. I have lost 1kg, about 2 pounds, in the last month. But that doesn't seem like a drop in the ocean of kilos to lose!
I will keep on, but sometimes I run out of happy thoughts, I really do.

Replies

• mperrott2205
    mperrott2205 Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    I watch this video and listen to this man. The definition of inspiration.

http://youtu.be/_CRVjMQuOaM
  • PepperWorm
    PepperWorm Posts: 1,206
    Options
    Stop relying on motivation and make it a habit. :)

Not every day is going to be a super good day for you to feel like busting *kitten* and eating well. You just have to do it!
  • jenncaroon
    jenncaroon Posts: 91
    Options
    Just keep making one good choice at a time and they will all add up. It takes alot of time but just break it down to the smallest steps and choose to take each one. You can do this.
  • NoelleS85
    NoelleS85 Posts: 89
    Options
    Celebrate all your victories! As little as they are. When I started and I saw that 1 kg lost, I felt the same way you do now. I could only see how far I still needed to go. Heck, I have lost 34 lbs and I still feel like it's nothing. But you know what, 1 kg lost is 1 kg less that you have to carry with you! I propose picking up something that weight 1 kg and you might get a different perspective. It might sound like nothing, when really it is a great start.

For me, I need to reevaluate my journey every now and then. I slipped up several times, I have taken weeks "off" from eating healthy, just because I felt like I needed to eat some unhealthy things to keep me sane. This worked for ME - most people on here won't recommend this. But I have always been strong enough to get back on it whenever I had to.

Reward yourself for every 5 kg or 10 lbs you lose, even if it is with a book, a piece of clothing, anything! :)
  • Tiff050709
    Tiff050709 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    I wish I knew!
    I like looking at motivational quotes. Makes me want to keep going (usually).
  • Britterboo22
    Britterboo22 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    everyone gets discouraged ever so often.
    I usually do too around that TOM (which is now!) haha. I just try to stick to my diet and remind myself why im doing this..
    think of the weight ive lost so far and how I DO NOT want to back track!

you can do this!
  • 9jenn9
    9jenn9 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    You may have a lot of weight to lose, but you will feel and look better long before you reach your goal. More energy, better fitness (if you make exercise part of the process) better fitting clothes will all happen along the way. Try to put the number out of your head. Avoid stepping on the scale excessively. Focus on the process : how much better you feel, how you're changing your life. Don't let the weight numbers game pull you down. You can do it, but it takes time. It's a marathon, not a sprint.
  • NoelleS85
    NoelleS85 Posts: 89
    Options
    I watch this video and listen to this man. The definition of inspiration.

http://youtu.be/_CRVjMQuOaM

Thanks for this!!
  • Mosley35
    Mosley35 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I am going through the same thing also, but what someone told me as even if I feel like I am off just to continue to log and don't try to do everything all in one day. So for me I am going to continue to log and continue to eat at least a fruit and veggie with every meal.
  • Yooperm35
    Yooperm35 Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    I go to YouTube and I watch videos of others weight loss journey. I watch a lot of videos. I listen to podcasts in my car about weight loss and how to stay motivated. I find that other people's journeys inspire me.
  • mperrott2205
    mperrott2205 Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    I wish I knew!
    I like looking at motivational quotes. Makes me want to keep going (usually).

Watch the video I posted then.
  • Turnaround2012
    Turnaround2012 Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    bump
  • peopletalk
    peopletalk Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    you have to want to change. i've never stayed committed to anything this long, and it's just because i was sick of trying and wanted to actually do it this time.

my main motivation factor is realizing i don't have to cut out all the foods i love. just have a calorie deficit and work out.

keep in mind, i had one week where i just gave up and ate what i wanted. and i didn't realize how crappy eating that badly made me feel. that one week was an eye opener for me.
    just make it a habit, and you'll feel like a million bucks!
  • deepamenon
    Options
    Thank you all! I can see now why doing this as part of a community helps--you guys are so great and generous with your inspiration.
  • lambchoplewis
    Options
    Nothing tastes as good as feeling thin!!!!
  • LisaWixom
    LisaWixom Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    My gym has a saying on the wall that really helps me "that voice in your head saying you can't do this is a LIAR" . I am ready to be thin, that is what motivates me.