Leaky Gut Syndrome??

Options
iluvwdw
iluvwdw Posts: 287 Member
I just went to the Healthfood Store in an attempt to find a vegan protein powder to add to my smoothies for breakfast. While talking with the gentleman there and telling him about the very numerous food intolerances and my recent bout of chronic hives that lasted since Christmas till after Easter, he told me it sounds like I sounds like I have porous intestines. As he was explaining it I clued in and asked, `Do you mean Leaky Gut?" ha ha A term I have heard of but never really read much about. Just always thought I'm glad I don't have that! LOL

While researching it, I discovered that most of the symptoms seem to apply to me. Going back about 8 years is when all my health problems started. Chronic sinusitis, and sinus infections, Headaches, GI issues, heartburn, acid reflux, having to stay close to a washroom all the time, fibromyalgia, and depression. All around the time I started eating more whole wheat products and more dairy in an effort to be healthier for my son and I. I also have a long history of taking NSAIDS for most of my life due to migraines and pain which later turned out to be fibro. In the last 4 years I have been on lots of meds for depression, fibro, etc.

I had been going to a naturopath but had to stop due to finances. However, she did put me on my elimination diet since Easter and I have been off wheat,gluten, dairy, and soy. In the process of trying to expand that I discovered I cannot eat strawberries, bananas, spinach, eggs, coffee or chocolate, as they make my hives return with a vengance. Nutritional yeast is the latest culprit. :( I also had to go off all my prescription meds. My body was on total overload. Sometimes I cheat with a bit of dairy or chocolate but mostly I have drastically changed my eating. I do however, have to get off the potato chips which I am finding hard. Other than that, I eat mostly whole fresh foods.

I feel a whole lot better, less congested but still have fibro and still have low energy though and still have not lost a lot of weight. I desperately want to heal my body so I don't react to everything I eat. I would like to be able to have some cheese once in awhile or have my strawberries and bananas and spinach and coffee again. I think I would stay gluten free though for sure, but I am so restricted in my eating and I fear it will continue to get worse as time goes on.

I am wondering if any one can tell me their experiences with leaky gut syndrome and what have you done about it to get yourself better?

I was told about bone broth but am a loss about how to make that?

Replies

• mackenziegblair
    mackenziegblair Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    http://melissakeaster.blogspot.com/

My friend Melissa could tell you ALL about it. Email her....seriously!
  • endoftheside
    endoftheside Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    If you have a leaky gut, then eliminating foods is going to be like playing a game of whack a mole because every thing you eat could turn into a new intolerance. If you can fix your gut, you may be able to get foods back into your diet. I have seen GAPS recommended for healing leaky gut, have you looked into that?
  • iluvwdw
    Options
    thanks mackenzie I will email her and check out her blog.

endoftheside - that is what I am experiencing now. Things that were fine two weeks ago seem not to be fine anymore. I have not heard or looked into the GAPS diet but will look into it.

Thanks guys!
  • sum1s
    sum1s Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    My doctor told me to take 1 gram of L-glutamine 3x a day (or with main meals) as it acts like a plug in all the holes now in your stomach. It's an supplement, something you can pick up at any health food store. So far, it's been working great for me! I have a very sensitive stomach as well, so he told me to start off with 1 gram per day and work my way up to three a day just to take it easy on my body. You might want to talk to your doctor about it, but this is something you can take now that doesn't have any side effects and is a natural solution for helping your body heal itself without another medication.
  • iluvwdw
    Options
    Thank you I have read about that for hives as well as Quercitin which is why i guess I can tolerate apples. It is found in apples. Quercitin in supplement form can have adverse side effects though, so I am just eating my apples! But I will ask my naturopath about The glutamine.

Thanks for the info. :)
  • vtmoon
    vtmoon Posts: 3,436 Member
    Options
    There is a recipe for this?
  • iluvwdw
    Options
    I am not sure I understand your question. A recipe for what? Quercitin and L-Glutamines are supplements that help heal your intestines.