Housebroken Dog 'Going' Indoors

Options
Hey all,

I'm relatively new to dog ownership [less than a year] but my rescue was previously housebroken and did not have any issue adapting to her new environment. Until about two weeks ago, she had only gone to the bathroom [urinated] once, and she went on the linoleum kitchen floor [which I quite appreciated].

In the past two weeks, she has started urinating or defecating in the apartment almost daily [and sometimes both]. Her walk/outdoors schedule and diet have remained the same [in fact, her trips outdoors have become much more frequent]. It seems to happen when my roommate and I are not home, or if we are asleep. [She used to wake us up for 'emergencies' and, considering how infrequent they were, we'd take her outside].

My initial thought was an infection or sickness, but I just paid my veteranarian $300 to find out that there is nothing [systemically] wrong with her. Either way, there was a viscous, opaque discharge from her female parts the other day, so I still haven't ruled out a urinary tract infection. We are treating her with appropriate antibiotics and it has cleared up her nether regions.

I'm trying to think of more relevant details. Ah, I did pick up a second job recently bartending a few nights a week. Obviously this may suggest that her problem may be psychological [she is my dog, though my roommate does also take care of her]. Again, while I am definitely home less, my roommate's schedule remains the same and there is little time that she is currently unattended where she would have been attended in the past.

Finally, there is the biological aspect--if she smells **** or piss, she'll continue to **** or piss. I've professionally cleaned my carpets twice since the event, most recently on Tuesday night. That said, I came home on my lunch break to find two large piles of **** in the living room.

For what it is worth, morning and evening walks do not end until she has defecated, and she does go outside for extended periods beyond these walks. I would say she gets an appropriate amount of exercise [if not in excess--my roommate and I are both runners and we regularly take her to the largest dog park in the area for canine camaraderie].

Beyond using the living room as a toilet [and it tends to be in the same two areas], she's incredibly well-behaved. I have no qualms with her being off-leash even in relatively busy areas.

I would prefer not to crate her when we are away as that might increase any psychological stress and I understand that dogs are pack animals and shouldn't be left alone too long. Again, I've worked with a veterinarian extensively on this, but I am hoping that maybe there is a diamond or two in the rough from unprofessional opinions and anecdotal evidence.

Thoughts?

Replies

• CrankMeUp
    CrankMeUp Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    no idea, as I have cats...but hoping maybe a friend can help.
  • JaneDough_
    JaneDough_ Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I would think your absence is having a toll on your pup.
  • DrBentonQuest
    Options
    I would think your absence is having a toll on your pup.

My absence would have a toll on anyone or anything.

But she is left unattended such a little time in the day. For instance, my roommate went to work at 11am today. I came home for lunch at 12:30 to walk her. So she was gone less than two hours from last being outside and decided to use the carpet as a toilet.

I do think that it has to be psychological though, and I suppose what I am asking is how to break this.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    I can't help with your dog's psychological problems, but I can tell you about a cleaning product I found that really and truly eliminates odors. Destroys and totally eliminates them.

I have a handicapped cat, and he has frequent accidents. Cat urine is really difficult to clean/remove/deodorize. I was at my wits' end when I found the best stuff ever.

MFP prohibits spamming/advertising, but I'll send you a PM....
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    There is a product called Nature's Miracle that you can put on the spots where she's gone. It will neutralize the enzymes and the smell will go away (you can't necessarily smell it, but she can). Then you need to keep her confined to a specific area. If you aren't willing to crate her, then I suggest a room that has linoleum that is more easily cleaned. I would also feed her wherever you have her confined, dogs don't like soiling where they are eating. Basically, you are going to treat her like you would a puppy by keeping her in a smaller area until she is able to control her elimination.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    There is a product called Nature's Miracle that you can put on the spots where she's gone. It will neutralize the enzymes and the smell will go away (you can't necessarily smell it, but she can). Then you need to keep her confined to a specific area. If you aren't willing to crate her, then I suggest a room that has linoleum that is more easily cleaned. I would also feed her wherever you have her confined, dogs don't like soiling where they are eating. Basically, you are going to treat her like you would a puppy by keeping her in a smaller area until she is able to control her elimination.

tried Nature's Miracle.

I returned it.
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    Options

tried Nature's Miracle.

I returned it.
    I haven't tried any other products, but from my own personal experience, Nature's Miracle worked well for the smell from my cat's "accidents". Was on tile though, thankfully.
  • StarChanger
    StarChanger Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    If she's a rescue, she's undoubtedly been spayed. In dogs, they take out the uterus and ovaries together...effectively putting the dog into menopause (doggie-pause?). This is a low-estrogen state for them, as well as humans, and the same dysfunctions can occur...namely frequent urinary tract infections...which may actually begin to clear up by the time you get her to the vet and they run tests. This leads to negative tests even though it usually IS what's actually going on. The other thing is bacterial vaginosis (I don't know if that is what they call it in dogs, but it does occur) which is an overgrowth of the normal bacteria "down there". It can lead to overt discharge (which you saw) and urinary tract irritation, which will cause her to have accidents.

Unfortunately, it can take some time to clear up. You may want to ask your vet about estrogen supplementation as well. Some vets believe in it for pets, some don't. As someone who knows it from the human side of medicine, and USED to be a vet tech....I would absolutely recommend it. My 12-yr old Boxer went through a spell of this....to the point where we put her in diapers and got a new puppy because we thought she was going downhill fast. She's now better and we have THREE big dogs, lol. ;)
  • dare2love81
    dare2love81 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    This is a tricky one....here's my guess as to what happened:

Because she had some sort of "discharge", she was likely sick, which was causing her to go in the house. And, since nobody was around to scold her when this happened, she likely now thinks it's okay to continue this behavior.

Get a kennel, and whenever you or your roommate are not home, keep her in the kennel. She is less likely go in there because she'll have to lay in it.

Try it, hopefully it helps. It did when I had this problem with my dog.

ETA: If she continues to go in the kennel, it's likely an anxiety problem (supposedly dogs have no concept of time so they don't know if you're gone for two minutes or two hours - to them you're just gone), or she's still sick. Additionally, if she's on antibiotics, that can cause some upset to their digestive tract, which could cause her to "go" more.
  • laurenkoszola
    laurenkoszola Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    LuckyLeprechaun- Can you please send me the info as well? My mom's dog is sick and frequently urinates on the carpets and tile floors and I'm sure she would appreciate to know how to get rid of that odor.
  • trailtripper
    Options
    This is a tricky one....here's my guess as to what happened:

Because she had some sort of "discharge", she was likely sick, which was causing her to go in the house. And, since nobody was around to scold her when this happened, she likely now thinks it's okay to continue this behavior.

Get a kennel, and whenever you or your roommate are not home, keep her in the kennel. She is less likely go in there because she'll have to lay in it.

Try it, hopefully it helps. It did when I had this problem with my dog.

ETA: If she continues to go in the kennel, it's likely an anxiety problem (supposedly dogs have no concept of time so they don't know if you're gone for two minutes or two hours - to them you're just gone), or she's still sick. Additionally, if she's on antibiotics, that can cause some upset to their digestive tract, which could cause her to "go" more.

^^This. I own two White West Highland Terriors.
    This is a common problem and Dare hit it on the button.
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options

tried Nature's Miracle.

I returned it.

I've used it for over 10 years of fostering animals and having a cat that was peeing inappropriately. It worked just find for me and lots of other people I know.
  • Lovdiamnd
    Lovdiamnd Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    My first thought was a UTI. Did you clean the tile, grout, and carpet with a PET cleaner?? They can still smell it most of the time if you don't.
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,377 Member
    Options
    I would crate her. My dogs are crated during the day when we're not home because they still like to eat things they're not supposed to, and they're 11 and 4! I leave the doors open when we're home, and a lot of the time they'll go in their crates on their own just to chill. It's not a punishment. I hear people say all the time that dogs aren't spiteful, but I don't agree. I've had enough experience to show otherwise.
  • bearkisses
    bearkisses Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    one word: crate.

Place dog in crate when you are not home, or when you are sleeping. Take dog out of crate all other times. This works wonderfully.
  • DrBentonQuest
    Options
    Thanks all.

I actually do have a crate for her and just leave the door to the crate open all the time. Sometimes she likes to take a respite in there...it's 'her area.'

The past two nights I put her in the crate, and today she started to seem apprehensive about it. I don't want her to lose the spot as something that she controls as a personal safe haven, but at the same time, I don't want her ****ting all over my house.

Sophie's Choice, am I right?
  • EPICUREASIAN
    EPICUREASIAN Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Crate or baby-gate a tiled area. Sometimes dogs get bored or fearful and lapse into bad habits. Retraining is necessary from time to time.

On the psychological side, don't associate the crate with your absence or with punishment. She should be trained to go to the crate when you are home. To encourage her to feel more positive about the crate, leave a treat for her in there. Be in the same room while she's crated.

Also, in my experience, female dogs tend to suffer more UTIs. I would keep monitoring her health, make sure her diet hasn't changed.

Some dogs tend to latch to one person more strongly than another. If she looks to you as her primary caregiver, your new schedule may be causing some anxiety.

In my experience, professional carpet cleaning doesn't work. Once the pet stain sets or sinks into the pad and/or reaches the flooring beneath, no amount of carpet cleaning will get the smell out. Dogs (and other pets) will continue to zero in on it (even if you don't see it or smell it).
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    Possible anxiety. Dogs sometimes have separation anxiety, which is why you may notice her going when no one is home. My first thought was definitely an infection, but since that is already being looked into - my next guess would be her food...perhaps there is an allergy?
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Thanks all.

I actually do have a crate for her and just leave the door to the crate open all the time. Sometimes she likes to take a respite in there...it's 'her area.'

The past two nights I put her in the crate, and today she started to seem apprehensive about it. I don't want her to lose the spot as something that she controls as a personal safe haven, but at the same time, I don't want her ****ting all over my house.

Sophie's Choice, am I right?

Keep up the crate work. Lots of encouragement when she goes in and treats. Leave her in for 5 minutes while your home, and let her out without any fan fare. It's exciting to go in but going out is boring to leave the crate no talking straight outside. Then the minute she leaves the kennel it's potty time, and you can bring her back in. Sometimes it helps to randomly put her in the crate, so she doesn't associate it with you leaving or bed time. Our dogs actually prefer their crate and it's the first place they go when they are in trouble.

Sadly, our housebroken dog had an accident the other day in the house, but it was kind of our fault because we changed the routine my BF let them into the house after work but he didn't make them go potty before coming inside like I always do. Spot bots are a great invention.