I don't mean to beat this issue to death, but ...

Options
since you all gave me such wonderful feedback in my previous post, I felt the need to talk some more.

I am wondering if anyone has had the experience of recognizing a specific thought that is preventing them from gaining weight, and then dealing with that specific thought through a lot of hard work, and once that thought is eliminated, and then been able to release weight easily?

I am wondering how common it is for one single thought or fear to have so much power, that it traps someone, perhaps for the rest of their life despite any attempts at therapy or self help.

I am also wondering if gaining a lot of weight can be a form of self punishment, a way of sending a message to a world that has beaten them down in some way.

If limiting thoughts can be said to be excuses, why do people have so many excuses for losing weight? I know it is hard work, but is that really all it is? Is it just laziness and a desire for instant gratification that keeps so many people trapped? I just don't know.

Do you think that in some life situations, it is wise to downplay yourself? Or is it never wise? Arg.

Thanks for anyone listening.

Replies

• lilpoindexter
    lilpoindexter Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    Is it just laziness and a desire for instant gratification that keeps so many people trapped?

Yes...just laziness.
  • bajoyba
    bajoyba Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    For me, it was a combination of laziness, excuses, and not having the tools and the knowledge to do it. I'm not saying losing weight and getting fit is easy... but it's not as difficult or as complicated as I used to think. Maybe if I had known that, I would have gotten on the right track a long time ago. Or maybe not. Sometimes the hardest part of making a change is flipping that mental switch.
  • mcgeorge5
    mcgeorge5 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I definitely think it is laziness.
  • artsycella
    artsycella Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I'm not saying losing weight and getting fit is easy... but it's not as difficult or as complicated as I used to think. Maybe if I had known that, I would have gotten on the right track a long time ago.

I definitely think this is true for me. My mom has been a yo-yo dieter as long as I've been a part of her life. She's a lifelong Atkins believer--as few carbs as possible, meat and vegetables all the time. My aunt does crazy things to lose weight like only eating lettuce and yogurt for months or, (waaay worse), messing around with her thyroid medication to increase her metabolism. That ended up with her in the hospital and on intense medication for the rest of her life.

I guess I always thought it had to be super painful and hard and you had to give up all the things you loved about food to make it work. Sooo glad to find out that's not the case.
  • Brujah1981
    Brujah1981 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I was quite content with my weight. I had this silly belief that people should like me for who I am, not how I look, and I would have lived the rest of my days that way if I hadn't run into some (potentially unrelated) health issues that made me think losing weight would be worth the work. So to answer your question, yes, I had ONE overriding thought that kept me from putting forth the effort. It was a terrible rationalization, but it held for years. That thought was "I shouldn't have to change for anyone." Well, I wound up making the leap to change for myself.
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    Laziness, feelings of being powerless, being overwhelmed with how far you might have to go, being comfortable in your situation, lack of eduction, being parlyzed by indecision, not feeling like you deserve to change/feeling like you're not worth it, not knowing any different...

I think there are a lot of reasons why people fail to act or put off making their health a priority, it doesn't just come down to pure laziness although I think that plays a major part for most people
  • VorJoshigan
    VorJoshigan Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    I think the single most powerful thought I had to get over/past was "I don't deserve to be happy". I can't say I've conquered it altogether, but I feel like I am ascendant in my battle with depression.
  • sympha01
    sympha01 Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    I am wondering if anyone has had the experience of recognizing a specific thought that is preventing them from gaining weight, and then dealing with that specific thought through a lot of hard work, and once that thought is eliminated, and then been able to release weight easily?

If limiting thoughts can be said to be excuses, why do people have so many excuses for losing weight? I know it is hard work, but is that really all it is? Is it just laziness and a desire for instant gratification that keeps so many people trapped? I just don't know.

I'm not a fan of magical thinking, that a thought or an idea is controlling my body. So I'm not going to agree that overcoming an idea will magically allow my body to "release" weight, "easily." But sure, a negative idea can be very sticky in the mind, and lead to a frame of mind that's defeatist, and that influences motivation which influences behavior. It's the behavior that matters ultimately, yes?

The most helpful frame of mind, for me, for ANYTHING challenging but achievable, is to see examples of other people in situations similar to mine who have achieved the same goal I want to achieve, and for me to remind myself "well, if those other people can do it, there's no reason I can't too." It's how I learned to speak (and read and write) Chinese!

Bear in mind, it doesn't make achieving any challenging goal "easy," but it makes keeping motivation up and controlling my own behavior better. You still have to work at it, and it still takes some sacrifice or another: time, flexibility, pleasure, whatever. You have to believe the sacrifice is worth it, and you can't think of yourself as somehow less able than other people, unendowed with some gift or another that's the self-defeating thought. That combination, not "laziness," is how excuses are born in my opinion. "I have X handicap compared to other people who have achieved this goal" suggests to you that your sacrifice would be greater (harder work, more time, more pain) and unendurable.

I wish I could say there was a guaranteed way to inoculate ourselves from that, and that I know I won't succumb to it myself. Generally when I find myself feeling hopeless about long-term achievements, I will focus on short-term goals for a while. "Just keep at it one more week, and see how you feel then" is just as powerful a motivating thought as "I'll start eating healthy next week" is a de-motivating one.
  • orangesapphire
    Options
    Sympha01, Thank you so much for your valuable advice and insight. Everyone, thank you for responding to this. It is very interesting to me what sort of single thoughts people have that keep them stuck.
    "I don't deserve to be happy."
    "I shouldn't have to change for anyone."
    etc.

It is amazing the damage that just one sentence stuck in one's head (a stubbornly held belief) can do to a person.
  • nkoconnell
    nkoconnell Posts: 34
    Options
    A combination of circumstances and the depression that resulted kept me thinking that I didn't deserve to look or feel good. Several years of "12 step therapy" helped change that. Quit smoking (well, switched to e-cig), started eating mostly clean... felt so good I felt like exercising. Now I feel so good I don't want to stop.
  • youngcaseyr
    youngcaseyr Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Laziness, feelings of being powerless, being overwhelmed with how far you might have to go, being comfortable in your situation, lack of eduction, being parlyzed by indecision, not feeling like you deserve to change/feeling like you're not worth it, not knowing any different...

I think there are a lot of reasons why people fail to act or put off making their health a priority, it doesn't just come down to pure laziness although I think that plays a major part for most people

I agree. Many people are simply lazy and don't want to work out or take the time to eat healthy and become content- or, at least, seem content- with that lifestyle and figure that, if the majority of their peers are doing the same and are fine, then they should be too. But, when one decides to make a lifestyle change, not having the information and not knowing where to start, in addition to wanting a quick fix/ instant gratification can be very discouraging and prevent them from actually doing anything about their health and fitness.
  • dreaming13000
    dreaming13000 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    There is no such thing as a "neutral" thought. All thoughts are either negative (TOXIC) or positive (UPLIFTING). I really can't remember all my thoughts that I had to conquer to make this change in my life but here is an example of some of them:

"I am eating for two"

"I just had a baby"

"I'm already fat! I might as well enjoy this (insert some disgusting fast food way in huge proportions)"

"My whole family is overweight, its genetics"

" no time to exercise"

etc....

The funny thing is, once I learned to take control of my thought patterns and my life in general, I learned a lot of problem solving skills and creative thinking that had not been in use!! I learned to take ANY obstacle, defeat it first in my thoughts (visualization of completed task) and this would merge into actual physical manifestation within my life.

Sociology has the "looking glass theory" and many other theories that can put the power of the mind into perspective.

I like the king james philosophy myself... " as a man thinketh, so is he"

Enjoy the journey to becoming who you were created to be!
  • katiej080810
    Options
    For me personally I always felt trapped inside my own head with negative thoughts. I was never able to explain to anyone or myself why I would start a weight loss plan and then sabotage my results over and over. Many days I would run down to Dairy Queen for a blizzard because I just couldn't stop thinking about it and felt that my day was not going to be right without it. Then I went in to see a doctor because I was constantly sad for no reason. I started taking antidepressants and now after a week of them my attitude is now drastically different. I see that I could do this all along and I don't want to eat anything that is going to prevent me from reaching my goals. So for me I feel that it was an imbalance in my mind that was keeping me stuck where I was at. Once I got the imbalance fixed I felt that I could achieve anything. Now I am on my way!
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    For me, I simply didn't realize the calories that were going into my body daily.

Using MFP provided that knowledge and from that point losing weight was easy.