Push ups - which are better?

Options
Is it better to do modified push ups with a full range of motion (nose all the way down to the floor), or do them on the toes, but with the chest going no further down than elbow level (well, probably not even that far)? The "full" ones with limited range feel harder, but I wonder if it's better to have the full range of motion and be on the knees? Or does it not matter either way?

Replies

• AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I start on my toes and do as many good-form pushups as I can. When form suffers, I drop to my knees and continue with good form. Eventually (when I stick with it), the number of regular pushups increases.
  • ElizabethKalmbach
    ElizabethKalmbach Posts: 1,416 Member
    Options
    Use your full range of motion and complete reps with good form until you can move to the next progression. If you need MORE progression between knee pushups and toe pushups, try using a stair case to do your pushups from the toe, moving down one stair each time you can complete 20 pushups at that level.
  • Quarxs
    Quarxs Posts: 8
    Options
    Use your full range of motion and complete reps with good form until you can move to the next progression. If you need MORE progression between knee pushups and toe pushups, try using a stair case to do your pushups from the toe, moving down one stair each time you can complete 20 pushups at that level.

Thanks! I had to read the stair instructions 3 times before they made sense:blushing: , but I've tried it, and it's great. Doesn't hurt the knees either!

@Amy: Just give me a few weeks and I'll join you with regular pushups in good form :bigsmile: . Amazing arms you've got!