Coconut oil??

Options
Kitsada
Kitsada Posts: 105 Member
A friend has just told me she read/researched about the benefits of coconut oil aiding weight loss and health.

Apparently people are taking 2 tablespoons a day for three months, and losing significant weight from that alone?

Anybody try this, or know about it??

(I'm thinking of filing it in the 'if it sounds too good to be true it probably is' file... but thought I'd ask you guys first. :) )

Replies

• mandeenicoleb
    mandeenicoleb Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    I'm always cautious about things like that! I did buy coconut oil spray for cooking instead since it's like no calories!
  • Keiras_Mom
    Keiras_Mom Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    I love coconut oil and use it in place of most other oils. I did NOT lose weight from incorporating it into my diet, however. YMMV.
  • kikicooks
    kikicooks Posts: 1,079 Member
    Options
    I'm always cautious about things like that! I did buy coconut oil spray for cooking instead since it's like no calories!

Coconut oil is very high in fat and calories so it must only be low calorie when a tiny tiny spray is used, so don't use a ton and think you are getting low calorie.
  • Lovdiamnd
    Lovdiamnd Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    <~~~ I put it in my hair lol
  • ksuetorres
    ksuetorres Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Here's what the Mayo Clinic says http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/coconut-oil-and-weight-loss/AN01899

Can coconut oil help me lose weight?

Answer

from Katherine Zeratsky, R.D., L.D.

The few small studies that have looked at coconut oil and weight loss suggest that coconut oil may help reduce waist size, but it doesn't lead to significant weight loss or improved body mass index (BMI).

Coconut oil is a tropical oil that's made from the dried fruit (nut) of the coconut palm tree. Proponents say that it contains a healthy type of fatty acid that your body quickly burns for energy. The oil extracted from fresh coconut contains medium chain fatty acids, which aren't stored in adipose tissue.

However, coconut oil is high in calories and saturated fat. One tablespoon contains 117 calories and 13.6 grams of fat. Coconut oil has more saturated fat than lard does.

Although eating coconut oil in moderation isn't likely to harm your health, it's not likely to help you lose weight either. For successful, long-term weight loss, stick to the basics — an overall healthy-eating plan and exercise.

Sounds like you may be looking for a quick and easy way ("Magic Bullet") to lose weight. I lost weight when I gave up on that! Diet and exercise. Eat at a deficit and move. That's the only way to lose weight permanently and healthfully.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    It could help you lose weight IF you already do not incorporate enough healthy fat in your diet.
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    There's nothing magical about coconut oil. The truth is that very few people eat enough healthy fat every day to sustain their hormone levels because they are deathly afraid of fat. The only fats you need to steer clear of are trans fats and hydrogenated oils. You should be eating at least 0.4g/lb of body weight of fat every day to ensure hormone production and this is just a minimum. There is no maximum amount of fat you can have in a day, given that you hit your protein minimum (0.82g/ lb of body weight) and don't go over your caloric goal for the day. Most people see weight loss with coconut oil because they weren't getting enough fat before and the coconut oil remedied that. You can get healthy fats from many sources: nuts, nut butters, avocados, coconut oil, extra virgin olive oil, fatty fish, and eggs. Just make sure you eat enough fat every day. Hope that helps
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Does coconut oil have any number of nutritional benefits? Yes! Do people stupefy **** by eating tablespoons at a time? Yes. Cocnut oil isn't magic and isn't magically going to cause weight loss. Weight loss, maintenance, weight gain is all science...not magic potions and ****. It's called the laws of thermodynamics.

Coconut oil is a good source of a certain saturated fat called lauric acid which is good for heart health. About 1/2 of the saturated fat in coconut oil is medium chain...the other 1/2 is long chain...so you're still getting quite a bit of long chain saturated fat...this isn't necessarily a bad thing, but may not be a good thing either, particularly if you're not active.

As with anything, moderation...it can absolutely be a delicious part of a balanced diet...but like I said, people stupefy such ****.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    coconut is great for health.

but eating 2 TBS per day without changing anything else about your diet will not lead to weight loss.

Coconut oil is full of MCTs which is great IMO. I really like it in the mornings, as it helps me push back my meals to a later time, which in turn lets me eat less, and get leaner.
  • TexNut
    TexNut Posts: 53
    Options
    I'm a big fan of coconut oil and its many health benefits. When healthy eating and daily exercise weren't budging the extra 30lbs I was carrying, I began drinking a shake every morning that included 1 Tbs of (cold-pressed, extra-virgin) coconut oil. I could not believe how quickly I lost 35 lbs! I'm not saying it was solely the coconut oil (I was working my tail off and eating a predominantly raw/fresh food diet) - but the coconut oil was like the missing ingredient my body needed to make the rest of my efforts work.

I'm a Nutritionist now and recommend coconut oil to most of my clients (1-2 Tbs/day). It has anti-inflammatory properties, in addition to your body being able to use it for fuel (meaning it can also help the body get rid of previously stored fats and hard-to-get-rid-of trans fats). It is also anti-fungal, anti-microbial and is one of the few natural substances that can kill viruses in our bodies by breaking down their cell walls.

I'm glad coconut oil is getting more attention and widespread use - it's an amazing food! Here's a link to a review of a clinical study on coconut oil vs. soybean oil:

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2011/06/22/magical-fat-that-increases-good-cholesterol-and-lowers-abdominal-obesity-in-women.aspx
  • mandeenicoleb
    mandeenicoleb Posts: 479 Member
    Options

Coconut oil is very high in fat and calories so it must only be low calorie when a tiny tiny spray is used, so don't use a ton and think you are getting low calorie.

Yeah I barely use any; I just use it to prevent sticking, not to fry. I'm not really into many fried foods. I caught on to that when the nutritional value from the jar that you can scoop out was far different from the spray, but thanks for the warning :)

I'd hate to deal with tons of hidden calories
  • jaysonbrody
    Options
    Unrefined Organic Cocunut oil is amazing and has tons of benefits. in the 1970s spread by the corn oil and soy oil industry against coconut oil. Coconut oil was considered harmful for the human body due to its high saturated fat content until the last decade (2000s) when people began to question the claims of the propaganda.Here are some links to articles that will re adjust your thinking.. http://www.doctoroz.com/videos/surprising-health-benefits-coconut-oil
    http://www.organicfacts.net/organic-oils/organic-coconut-oil/health-benefits-of-coconut-oil.html
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    My hiney-length hair loves it. I've used it to oil my waffle iron but no other cooking/eating. I don't buy into the idea that eating it will make you lose weight.
  • jaysonbrody
    Options
    P.s. I take a tbls before each of my workouts because I receive an amazing amount of energy from it almost immediately and it lasts.
  • wibutterflymagic
    wibutterflymagic Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    Coconut oil is fairly good but there are no magic pills, serums or oils that will help you lose weight. Coconut oil in moderation is fine just like vegetable oils but it is higher in saturated fats so if your cholesterol is a concern I'd stick with Extra Vrigin Olive oil as your mainstay. Coconut oil is good for higher heat cooking unlike EVOO.

It's good for other things though too......it's fabulous as a lotion and you can use it for a sunscreen if you add some lavender essential oil to it.