any doing slimfast

Options
Hi,
I'm on day 3 on slimfast and would love to hear from anyone else doing it. I know people have different views on the best way to go about losing weight but I'm trying to find something that works for me. It would be great to hear the ups and downs and be able to support each other :smile:

Replies

• tinabarett
    tinabarett Posts: 11
    Options
    I tried slimfast in the past but felt like the noises coming from my stomach afterwards wasn't worth it!! It also made me feel bloated. How has it been for you so far?
  • happymum37
    happymum37 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Hi, it's seems to be going ok to be honest. I have really bad food habits and never tend to eat breakfast and lunch so it's forcing me to change my habits. It's still early days but I'm trying to be positive. How are you doing, you following any particular diet or just healthy eating?
  • imstrong4me
    imstrong4me Posts: 119
    Options
    I only drink the shake and the bars and just eat healthyl I just started
  • happymum37
    Options
    I'm planning on doing that too but have tried the snacks just out of curiosity really. Think it will get a bit pricey too but it's good to know that I can have a treat if I need one
  • tinabarett
    Options
    My problem is chocolate and candy... and rice! I'm trying to work on portion control and no sweets. It's definitely NOT easy! Now when I log in my calories I'm so surprised with how much I was eating before, even when I thought I was being good. I tried South Beach diet before and lost weight but the no carbs made me feel horrible. So far so good with this one.. although that vending machine upstairs is calling my name :ohwell:
    I try to bring a cheese stick or a couple snacks to hold me over between meals. I feel that has really helped me. I used to cheat on diets because i was so hungry between meals.
  • pjp1125
    pjp1125 Posts: 313
    Options
    I tried it once- it absolutely killed my stomach (gas) and everyone within nose shot of me. There are better things you can do, like log your calories and eat better while burning calories with exercise. There's this great website, MFP, that's real helpful with that type of thing.
  • louise62602
    Options
    I tried it before and it messed my stomach up, I had to use the bathroom within 5 minutes of drinking it. That's why I call it "****fast".
  • tinabarett
    Options
    :laugh: I was trying to not give out too much info in my description of what happened to me, but Louise hit the nail on the head with that one!!
  • aimeedavids13
    Options
    I used Slim Fast when it was in a can and lost a lot of weight that way but it did mess my stomach up. They had a recall and reformulated the Slim Fast. I don't have any stomach problems with it now and it controls my appetite between meals. I use it as part of a 1200 calorie diet.
  • dbg1
    dbg1 Posts: 208
    Options
    I started doing it for breakfast and lunch Monday to Saturday last week. Once my stomach adjusted I have had little bloating/gas. I eat healthy for dinners. And sunday's are healthy all day.

I find the shakes are ok after working out in the morning (every day except sunday - one day off) as they save me time (I am up at 5:15am before work) and I can walk for most of my lunch time. As long as I am busy, I don't think of food and therefore my stomach doesn't rumble.
  • PepperWorm
    PepperWorm Posts: 1,206
    Options
    No.

I did it once. I was ALWAYS hungry. That's what a 1-1200 calorie diet does to you.

Same for Special K.
  • norcal_yogi
    norcal_yogi Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    no....
  • 17ChargerGirl17
    Options
    I prefer Adkins Shakes and Bars. They are alot tasier with less carbs.
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    I wouldnt you will gain most of the weight you gain back and they are not healthy just eat better and drink more water you will lose weight
  • daisymae850
    daisymae850 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I drink them for breakfast almost every morning, the last couple days I haven't but thats only because i'm out and haven't made it to the store
  • sunshinestater
    sunshinestater Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    I would look at a way to integrate shakes into your overall eating plan rather than depending on them as meals. That way, you start off right. I've never tried Slimfast, but I love Carnation Instant Breakfast because I'm not a big breakfast eater, yet I get too ravenous by lunch time. It's not a meal replacement for me as much as a convenient meal, and I blend in things like a banana or other types of fruit, or maybe a small amount of peanut butter.

Another cheaper and more sustainable option is to make your own smoothies. I have a Nutribullet, but any good blender will do. You get more variety, since you can customize it to your tastes for the day. I like that idea a lot better than artificial liquid that gives many people tummy trouble.

Good luck in this, however you proceed. I hope you find the method that works best for you. Just wanted to share another option.
  • ddky
    ddky Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    I don't really do the slimfast plan, but I do have slimfast almost every weekday for lunch. I have an apple about 11:30 and a slimfast between 12 and 12:30 and I do just fine until supper. Even when not dieting, I will have them for a quick lunch if I am in a hurry. I actually like the taste of the milk chocolate.
  • Mariposa_Lily
    Mariposa_Lily Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Back when I was teaching, I would use Slimfast for a quick and easy breakfast or lunch on many days, but never both. I loved it because I could "eat a meal" and talk to students at the same time. But, I was always so hungry by snack time I can't imagine trying to do it for two meals a day....
  • happymum37
    Options
    Thanks for the input everyone. I know there's probably healthier ways but am going to stick with it for now. Luckily I've not had any of the lovely side effects you've mentioned :)
  • Lalasharni
    Lalasharni Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I tried it over a year ago and it gave me cramps.
    My doctor told me that the human digestive process is not meant to run on liquids, unless there is a medical reason for not having solid food. he says that the intestinal walls will cramp after a while because they have nothing to move against and try harder to do so.
    Meals in the form of shakes, biscuits and soup formulations teach nothing about proper nutrition and are expensive at least and unsustainable at worst.
    However, if you love em, then have em.