QUICK and healthy weeknight dinners

Options
KatieKlotz
KatieKlotz Posts: 20 Member
I'm looking for some recipes for quick and healthy weeknight dinners! Between work, school and the gym I have very little time to prep/cook dinner during the week. I'm sure a lot of you are in the same boat.

Any ideas? What quick dinners do you make for your families?

I'll start with one: Chili Lime Shrimp Fajitas

Whole Wheat Flour Tortillas
Frozen Raw Shrimp - Thawed and Peeled
Green Pepper
Red Onion
Olive Oil Spray
Chili Powder
Garlic (fresh, crushed)
Lime Juice
Fat Free Refried Beans (or black beans)
Shredded Reduced Fat Cheddar
Salsa

Pretty self explanatory - Spray pan with olive oil spray, cook peppers and onions with the fresh garlic til almost done - throw in the raw, peeled shrimp, add chili powder and lime juice to taste and cook til they turn pink. Serve in a warm, whole wheat tortilla, topped with salsa. Refried beans (or black beans) with shredded cheddar on top, on the side.

Nice and simple!

Your turn!!!

Replies

• shannahrose
    shannahrose Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    tagging for some good ideas
  • 00trayn
    00trayn Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    Last night I made this rather tasty dinner:

Mini Pita Pocket Pizzas

- one whole wheat pita
    - tomato sauce (1/4 cup)
    - mozzarella cheese (1/4 cup)
    - any toppings you like

Just make the pizza by putting sauce, cheese and toppings on the pita and heating in the oven for 12 minutes on 350 degrees or until the cheese is melted and the pita is a bit crunchy. I put pineapple on my pizza, but chicken would be yummy too and add some protein. I think mine came to under 300 calories total for one pizza.
  • amcmillan730
    amcmillan730 Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    I don't have a lot of good ideas... so I go with whatever's healthy and easy. I've fallen in love with Morningstar Veggie burgers (especially this tomato and basil one). Put it on my george foreman grill for a few minutes..... toast some weight watchers whole wheat bread, and add a slice of sargento reduced fat provolone cheese. YUMMY!! Have some baked chips, veggie crisps, or salad on the side. Really tasty and low in calories!

Sorry my idea wasn't that exciting... but it is quick! haha
  • nessaj
    nessaj Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I made a really quick stir fry last night. I'm in the UK so not sure what stir fry sauces are available in the US, but I got a thai sweet chilli one which was 68 calories per person.

Onions
    Garlic
    Green (French) beans
    Mange tout
    Red Pepper
    Carrot
    Mushrooms
    (or basically any veg you like all chopped to the right size to eat)
    Chicken breast (1 medium for 2 people) - I marinated mine in teriyaki sauce to give it a bit of flavour.
    Stir fry sauce of choice

I marinated the chicken in the teriyaki sauce for a couple of hours in the frisge, but could be all day while you're at work.

Cook the chicken in a dry very hot wok or frying pan for a few minutes and then remove and put aside

Start cooking the veg - onion and garlic to start with. I didn't use any oil at all. After 2 add the carrots and a little water to steam the veg while continuing to stir fry it (if that makes sense). After another couple of mins add the rest of the veg, the stir fry sauce and the chicken (which has already been cooked). Put a lid on if you can so that they all steam - if it looks like there isn't enough sauce add a bit more water - and then after a few more minutes it is ready.

When I cooked it last night it came in at under 300 calories per portion and only 2g of fat! I find the bit that takes the longest is cutting up all the veg :laugh:
  • kristi223
    kristi223 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Bump
    :tongue:
  • disneybuff323
    Options
    I don't have a lot of good ideas... so I go with whatever's healthy and easy. I've fallen in love with Morningstar Veggie burgers (especially this tomato and basil one).
    I LOVE LOVE LOVE THESE!!! I would eat them without a bun or anything, just cut up 2 of them for lunch, as they are only like 110 calories or something. You can also microwave them, which is all I've ever done, and they rock!
  • MisdemeanorM
    MisdemeanorM Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    I love chicken stir fry - I put in white cooking wine and some olive oil, 1T or less, then whatever veggies I have on hand (peppers, onions usually), along with some garlic, then when those are close to done I put in some tomatoes and whatever else I might want that is softer (ie semi-cooked defrosted green beans), then i put in the chicken (generally speaking precooked, usually leftovers, or my cooking order would change and this would go before the tomatoes). Add white wine as needed to cook, but no more veg oil. I really like it with an egg cracked in to it in the end too, though I am sure you could use egg whites if you wanted.

usually use
    1 egg,
    1 pepper,
    couple TBS garlic, and raw onion
    1 tomato - something tougher like a roma, not a slicer, can use grape toms sliced in 1/2
    1 chicken breast or 1 can chicken chunk
    and I make 1 cup of rice.

Nice thing is - no sauce required. My hubby likes to put stir fry sauce on, which adds another 200 cals overall, but I like it better w/out.

Feed myself, my husband, and our 3 yr old. About 800 calories total recipe and usually 1/3-1/2 the rice is left ... so about less than 250 calories per person providing the adults eat a bit more than the kid. And filling too. And such a flexible item!
  • kimhurt
    kimhurt Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    bump
  • dutchliz
    dutchliz Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    You could always do a big batch of a couple of things and freeze portions of them. I really like spag bol but with quorn mince. Really lowers the fat content and vamps up the protein (plus I hate mince meat!). You can make two batches - one of spag bol and the other of chilli. You can buy bags of frozen quorn mince in the supermarket and it's pretty much the same as cooking a regular chilli or spag bol. Also, you can make it into a very easy lasagne and freeze it in a 'two person' lasagne dish!

When it comes to winter you can make a hearty low fat lentil soup at the weekend and it generally does me for at least half a week...obviously depending on how much you make.

Otherwise it tends to be baked potatoes and salads for me with some grilled chicken. Alternatively buy some fresh white fish and bread it yourself then bake in oven for required time. Very healthy with a load of veggies.
  • stringcheeze
    Options
    Here's a link to a crock pot/slow cooker post -- a lot of these are awesome suggestions and you can't get much quicker than dinner already being done for you by the time you get home!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/113439-what-is-your-fav-slow-cooker-recipe?hl=slow+cooker&page=1#posts-1554278
  • triciavetter
    triciavetter Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I do a lot of PREP work on Sunday afternoon to get ready for the week. I chopped and cook and prepackage my lunches and prepare cassaroles, etc... for the week. I love to cook and love good food, but I am tired after work and don't want to do then. I make soups in the winter and often have a bowl of homemade soup with a simple salad for dinner. I'll try to post some receipes soon.
  • shel4eva
    Options

Mini Pita Pocket Pizzas

- one whole wheat pita
    - tomato sauce (1/4 cup)
    - any toppings you like

Just make the pizza by putting sauce, cheese and toppings on the pita and heating in the oven for 12 minutes on 350 degrees or until the cheese is melted and the pita is a bit crunchy. I put pineapple on my pizza, but chicken would be yummy too and add some protein. I think mine came to under 300 calories total for one pizza.

I saw a tv programme where they made similar pizzas, but scored one side with a knife to remove the middle, so one side of the pita kind of has a frame. You just toast it up under the grill and then pop your toppings within the frame. They are so delicious, and you don't even notice that you have taken away half the pita and a whole load of calories! You can save the pita middles to make breadcrumbs for another dish!
  • amcmillan730
    amcmillan730 Posts: 591 Member
    Options

Mini Pita Pocket Pizzas

- one whole wheat pita
    - tomato sauce (1/4 cup)
    - any toppings you like

Made these last night... except i used mini pitas. I cut the pita around the edge so it made 2 mini pizzas. Put the pita in the oven for 10 minutes first... then topped them and put them back in. I put shredded crabmeat on mine. DELICIOUS! Came to about 170 calories :)