lose weight then lift weights?

Options
I am in a total mind set to lose weight. I want to loose about 75 pounds. I am 6'4 285 currently, and have always been a "big" guy. Might sound dumb, but I really want to get to the point where I am toned and might even have a six pack (knowing it will take a while!!!!) My questions is, however, should I lose weight first, then start muscle training? I am afraid if I start lift weighting, etc now, I will just stay "big" when really I want to look "thin and buff" Help??

Replies

• ShaneT99
    ShaneT99 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Resistance training is a very big part of fat loss. Muscle burns more calories. I wouldn't wait.
  • SLIMmahogany
    SLIMmahogany Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Lifting weights while you're doing cardio and eating properly is what every toned guy is doing. Lifting weights will define your muscles, while cardio and good nutrition will take off the fat, and your wonderful body will be waiting underneath.
  • lcole1961
    Options
    I agree. Programs like P90X are excellent to meet both of your goals.
  • kskye82
    kskye82 Posts: 56
    Options
    Rule #1: Muscle burns fat!
    Stick with a program or routine that has strength training and cardio. Alternating these throughout the week. Lifting weights actually gives you a cardio effect anyways. Don't shy away from the weights they will be a huge asset in your weight loss and toning up journey! Programs like P90X and Chalene Extreme focus a lot on strength training and people get amazing results from them! I am currently on P90X and all the weight lifting is helping shed the body fat!
    Good luck!

Kristina
  • mebj
    mebj Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Building muscle through strength training will hasten weight loss. So focus on cardio, but don't forget the weights, too.
  • Superman79
    Options
    Weights are the best way to tone up and lose weight. If you don't routinely do a sculpt routine your skin will sag after such a weight loss. Key is that 8-10 reps builds mass, 12-20 reps build lean muscle mass which is what you need. I recommend Power 90 for your goals unless you are customed to exercising routinely now, then I suggest p90x. Obviously you don't need to purchase any program to achieve your goals, but the program offers a nutrtition plan and a proven routine to shed pounds and build lean muscle mass.

The main thing to keep in mind is that nutrition is the key to it all. Drop processed foods and refined sugars, breads, and fast food. If you want to know more just message me!

Good luck and you can do this!
  • ShaneT99
    ShaneT99 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I would say focus on diet and weights but don't forget the cardio. :wink:
  • sajar_06
    sajar_06 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    You really need to do both cardio and weight training to tone as you go and restructure your body as you go.
  • RominaSullivan
    Options
    Don't wait!! Building muscle and toning up are long processes too, might as well get done with both things at the same time. Plus, like said above strength training will help you with your weight loss. The more muscle you build the more calories you'll burn, the more weight you'll lose! You don't want to slim down and be all weak.... I've seen it happen... and toning up will make you feel so much better about yourself through out the process. Just watch what you eat and you'll slim down no prob.
  • bevdc
    bevdc Posts: 18
    Options
    Most definitely BOTH! Good Luck! :smile:
  • sarahsmom1
    sarahsmom1 Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    Don't focus on weight focus on how you want your body to look