Insanity injury :(

Options
Hi, I'm just new to this message board and was looking for some advice.
I started Insanity last week as I like a challenge and wanted to get fit again. Loved the 1st wk and could feel myself improving each day. However day 1 of week two and I went over my right ankle medially and laterally. A&E confirmed a bad sprain and to rest. This is the 3 time in 9 yrs that I have sprained it and this time is the worst. :sad: Gutted, but now I am afraid to even think about going near it again and that perhaps it's too high impact for me?
I wondered if anyone could recommend another home workout that would have same results but a bit easier on the ankle? I've looked at Slim6 and turbo fire but I'm unsure?
Thank you

Replies

• froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    maybe start small? - when i first started running, i was paranoid about tripping over stuff (like my own feet), but with time coordination and confidence grew.
    you could wear an ankle support - not just for the extra support, but as a reminder to take it a bit easier.
    or do some strength training to build up support for your ankles.
  • briggsy13
    briggsy13 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Also keep in mind those types of exercises they recommend court shoes vs running shoes. The court shoes (tennis, basketball, volleyball) are made to handle the movements in the workouts. Vs just the motion of running. Just keep that in mind no matter which of those workouts (Insanity, Turbo Fire, P90X etc)

Aside from that I would take the time to rest that ankle cause if its not totally healed its just gonna keep slowing you up again. Take the time off now and just do upper body work until you are back to par.
  • Kdunlo10
    Kdunlo10 Posts: 2
    Options
    Thanks guys! Feel guilty already that I'm 2 days down with no workout but will get back on it as soon as its healed! Time for ab and upper body workouts for now :happy:
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    Insanity is by nature a very injury prone workout. Many of the exercises they have you doing are impossible to do with proper form if you aren't already fit, flexible, and well-coordinated.

Also, what the above poster said about attempting a workout like Insanity, which incorporates fast, lateral movements into it, wearing conventional running shoes is a recipe for certain inevitable injury.