How to Break from Depression?

Options
I've never been diagnosed as having a depressive illness disorder, but I'm pretty sure I have some form of it, at least to some degree. Typically I get depressed when I face a difficult life event. I experience all of the classic symptoms; loss of appetite, loss of hope, losing pleasure in normally enjoyable activities, etc.

So now I'm facing another event and I can pretty much predict the next few weeks - I'll "hole up" and withdrawal socially until I start feeling a little bit like myself again. And I hate that.

I wish I was the type of person that could force myself through getting over the darker times. Historically, I've never been.

I guess what I'm looking for are suggestions from people that can identify with what I've described.

Replies

• UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    *hugs*

These feelings are actually completely normal. There is nothing wrong with you. If you really struggle coming out of this funk, then you should seek some help. But what you going through right now is completely normal giving what you are dealing with. If you need someone to talk to, I'm completely available anytime. I'll PM you my number.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,237 Member
    Options
    Depression in the face of difficult life events is somewhat natural and expected (IMO). I'm no doctor, so idk, but I think that's pretty normal actually. I am experiencing something in that realm myself right now. I find therapy is helping a great deal.
  • EmilyEmpowered
    EmilyEmpowered Posts: 650 Member
    Options
    This is me! If something bad happens, I just fall apart, feel like things will NEVER EVER get better and I can NOT see the light at the end of the tunnel.
    I just spent the past 5 days crying off and on, personally. All I can say is you have to do one of two things.

1) go to a dr. and get help with a prescription or talking to a therapist, etc about how you feel. or
    2) try to figure out how you can pull through on your own.

While I used to have these 1 week to 1 month long crying spells every two months or so, this is the first I have really had in about a year. I am learning to control this on my own and honestly, diet and exercise helps me personally A LOT! (The past two weeks I havent been financially able to buy any food and therefore havent worked out much, and therefore fell back into a depression spell!)

BUT I was on different medicines off and on since I was 14, and after 10 years of that I just realized that no medicine was going to help me, I have to figure out what motivates me to keep going, stay positive, and live a happy life. My children are my number 1 motivation, I hate when they see me cry for days on end, I feel like I am doing so much damage to them.
  • So_Much_Fab
    So_Much_Fab Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    This is me! If something bad happens, I just fall apart, feel like things will NEVER EVER get better and I can NOT see the light at the end of the tunnel.

You totally pegged the way I feel in times like this. Rationally I know it'll pass and things will get better...but when I'm down I'm unable to see that.

I'm not adverse to talk therapy - this is probably the direction I'll be heading in.
  • cactus589
    cactus589 Posts: 8
    Options
    What's most important to me is to deal with it as soon as I start feeling it. Once I'm down, its so hard to get back up on my own. I saw a therapist once who told me to exercise to relieve my depression. That's great advice and all, but you want me to lace up my tennies and go running around the block when I hardly have the energy to get out of bed? BUT in the beginning when I start to feel myself sinking, I AM able to muster up the energy and self control to go for a run. And exercise does help a lot!

Also, I've discovered that sugar plays a tremendous role in my mood. Avoiding sugar has really helped to keep me even.
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options

You totally pegged the way I feel in times like this. Rationally I know it'll pass and things will get better...but when I'm down I'm unable to see that.

I'm not adverse to talk therapy - this is probably the direction I'll be heading in.

It sounds like you are able to see it and that is a step in the right direction. Also, you are reaching out, which many people do not do and that is also a step in the right direction. In your OP you said you are aware of what you do when a major life event is happening or is around the corner, that is something very important that many people are not aware of about themselves. If you feel the need to chat with a professional in your community..... go for it. On the flip side, if you want to continue to try and work it out yourself, stay mindful of how you are feeling and when you are feeling that way...maybe start a journal? Maybe tell yourself "stop" when your mind starts to "go there." Understandably, things are easier said then done, but it is awesome that you are reaching out to other people. :flowerforyou:
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    Could it be anxiety? Dreading something to come before it actually happens...? Assuming the worst will happen?
  • So_Much_Fab
    Options
    Could it be anxiety? Dreading something to come before it actually happens...? Assuming the worst will happen?

Not really...but kind of. The depression is a result of a difficult event...a real event, not perceived. But I do tend to then stress over 'what's going to happen now', and I need to realize that I don't need to have all of the answers "now". I can take things one day at a time.
  • So_Much_Fab
    Options
    I saw a therapist once who told me to exercise to relieve my depression. That's great advice and all, but you want me to lace up my tennies and go running around the block when I hardly have the energy to get out of bed? BUT in the beginning when I start to feel myself sinking, I AM able to muster up the energy and self control to go for a run. And exercise does help a lot!
    I understand this...sort of. :) I know that exercise is commonly 'prescribed' for depression. And I don't doubt that, I'm just not able to get myself to the point where I can when I'm feeling down. I'm a runner and some of my very well meaning friends here on MFP have suggested that I focus on that. I want to - but I just don't feel like I'll be able to. Maybe this time I should just force myself...one time...to get out for a run when I'm in a funk. I guess it can't kill me.
  • xstarxdustx
    xstarxdustx Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    Finding an outlet for some of those feelings may help. Whether it be talking to someone to gain some perspective over your life (a friend, family member, even someone on here), expressing yourself via art or even in the kitchen might help you get through the spell. Realizing you don't like withdrawing and feeling like so down is a start as opposed to being totally absorbed by it. Also just allowing yourself time because I agree with the above in that these feelings in response to major life events are normal. Hang in there.
  • dwendling63
    Options
    Hi Organi_Azure,

I understand exactly what you have described and yes it is a form of depression. My physcian does yearly blood work on me to a full screen to check things like my thyroid levels, insulin, cholesterol..yada yada yada. Most depression can be triggered through a chemical or hormonal imbalance. She has had to adjust my medications over the years to help my body work with me and not against me in the depression dept.

But I must add that sometimes I "feel" that regardless of what my hormones are doing there are just some self-esteem and life long fears that I have had 4ever that can set me into an anxious state of mine...which also ads to my depression.
    Things that have been deeply enbedded can't be willed away or ran away from, but here is some hope to help you cope:

1.) Journaling my feelings and events. [I studied Child Development and many times we tell very young children to "use their words" to express what they want or are squealing about....] SO...one day I was having a melt down and I thought "use your words!" When I put things in writing I was able to sort through the blubbering and unload what was really bothering me. A few days later I came back and re read what I had written. With a yellow highlighter I highlighted any words that expressed "fear". Once you can identify and pin point the fears buried deep in your gray matter, then you can begin to work on the core of your depression. Just like you said before long not only can you predict it coming...but you'll also know what triggers it!
    2.) Vit D3 5000 IU one daily (helps with mood)
    3.) Exercise (outdoors)
    4.) Music and meditation (adequate rest)
    & lastly...
    5.) PUSH (P.ray U.ntil S.omething H.appens)

The part I think I dislike the most of depression is feeling like an outsider looking in. I feel like I loose so much precious time by just going through the motions and not really living. Most people who know me do not know I suffer from this illness ( I keep it on the DL)...and I put on one hell of an act. Then, once I am removed from the common population...I am exhausted. It takes alot of energy to act happy when your hurting inside. Then comes the loss of motivation to move or even leave the house. My Fitness Pal has helped me stay on track and to be accountable to practice healthy habits instead of negative ones.
    Long story short...remain active, consult your MD and don't forget to PUSH :happy:

You are not alone! It will all be okay.
    Your MFP Buddy,
    Robin
  • So_Much_Fab
    Options
    The best part of reading all of your replies is that I don't feel so alone in this - it's nice to hear from others that experience what I do.

I will definitely be taking all of your suggestions to heart and putting as many of them in practice as I can. Thanks much. :flowerforyou:
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,119 Member
    Options
    Just

Decide.

If you are living one half second in the future or one half second in the past, you are living in illusion and illusion is the Province of Fear.
  • Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member
    Options
    Sounds like normal grieving to me. Don't force yourself to keep doing your normal routine if it's too much - there's nothing wrong with taking time to feel what you need to feel and letting it work itself out.
  • dwendling63
    Options
    You are so right BJLeech....my youngest child flew the coop in Feb. so I am 4 months into my empty nest thing as well as other piddly diddly stuff too...I have heard that basically I am grieving (not the loss of my children) but the loss of my self. I don't identify with who I am forced into being. My role changes now and I am having to find out who I am again...I am grieving me. Deep Kaa-ka hugh? For 31 years I have raised 5 daughters and have always been a mother....I am still a mother but no longer have anyone to nurture.
    STAT
    I NEED A PET :sad:
  • SweetPea482
    SweetPea482 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    you arent alone... at all. ive always called it my 'dark place'. always seems like when i get hit with something i don't know how to handle, my mind goes into panic mode. the worth of everything just deteriorates. it has been a long time since i've fallen into that place where i had NO hope... but ive felt that feeling where i was so afraid of falling into that place that i would do ape-*kitten* on my workouts and everything else just to make sure i was doing everything i could to keep my mind off the matter at hand. also not always the way to go... you have to learn to deal with the issues. that sucks.

the sad thing is that it takes a spark in YOU that will make it go away. i dont really even know what my 'triggers' are for getting better. I know my triggers for the dark place and i avoid them at all costs. but... for now, stay active. find the things that make you happy and do THEM... even if it is only a little bit.

you've been through such a whirlwind with you relationship... not a single part of it could have been easy. but now its YOUR time. go find YOU. <3 and if you need to vent with retail therapy, that always helps too. ;)
  • robynhale123
    Options
    Thank you so much for your replies. I have just started using my fitness pal and it is helping me to live again. I am a breast cancer survivor of 8 years struggling with survival guilt and my fitness pal is helping me to put myself back together again. I have to say I finally had to go to therapy and it is helping. Thanks for the P.U.S.H. idea I will use it! It's amazing how life can be full of surprises but with the hard times the good can break through with support.
  • kwasmrs
    kwasmrs Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Wow, I can't even begin to tell you how much I can relate to what you posted. Especially most people not knowing and putting on an act to win an academy award only to be completely exhausted afterwards. Thank you for your honesty. I suffer from depression and also noted in my bloodwork that I have a severe Vit D deficiency. I do not want to get back on medication but at this point I really need to lose weight (need to lose 50lbs from having babies back to back). I think it will give me the extra motivation to drop the pound and just feel better about myself overall.

Funny how it seems to be much easier to "talk" to strangers when dealing with depression than those closest to me.

God Bless!