Does anyone else cycle to work?

Options
Nearly 2 months ago I started commuting to work by bike. I'm curious if any one else here does?

Replies

• midnight419
    midnight419 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I do.
  • Wienerbua
    Wienerbua Posts: 19
    Options
    Yes, a couple days I week I go all the way to work and back, 22 miles roundtrip. I also sometimes go just to the subway which is 3 miles roundtrip. The last few years, I have averaged around 1500 to 2000 miles biking. I don't really find that it helps to lose weight though because it spikes my appetite so much. Although I burn off roughly 650 calories or so from the roundtrip to work, I can eat that in no time unless I am really disciplined.
  • Possible_Infinity
    Possible_Infinity Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Yea, I'm pretty hungry after too. I usually just have protein shake post ride, that seems to help
  • celtbell3
    celtbell3 Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    Tis only a dream I have. I could bike to work; but, its a little over 20 miles. Too far and I'd have helmet head, LOL. Thought about driving halfway and biking the other half. Kind of dangerous, though. Still working out the particulars. Maybe this will be an end to summer goal.
  • RunnerElizabeth
    RunnerElizabeth Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    I wish! I live 5 miles from work, takes me an hour on the subway! However I can't cycle because the trip is too dangerous with my 3 yearold in tow. I do sometimes run with her in the jogger, much safer and running with the jogger to the office totally counts as excercise, biking might not.
  • SpringFever19
    SpringFever19 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    It's only a mile away for me. Kinda cheating to call it a "commute" lol.
  • DCruz83
    DCruz83 Posts: 99
    Options
    I wished but for one I sweat super easily and two, I'd never ever leave my bike outdoors all day. Would prefer it to riding the bus and subway but oh well...
  • 99clmsntgr
    99clmsntgr Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    If I had a way to transport the two year old with me to drop off at daycare on the way in, I would do it. Alas...

So I run at lunch instead :smile:
  • da_bears10089
    da_bears10089 Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    occasionally. depends on the weather and how early i drag myself out of bed.
  • Possible_Infinity
    Possible_Infinity Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    My commute is about 6 miles each way. I'm not Lance but I often go 20+ on any given day when I take the afternoon ride long.

Driving half way works well I've read about people starting off that way. People do 20 mile commutes all the time, it doable. You'd just have to figure out the logistics for your ride.

I only ride roads with bike lanes, If I have no choice a wide two lane works well too. I have really nice lights and I also wear a cycling version of a orange vest with reflective stripes.
  • Pmagnanifit
    Pmagnanifit Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    I used to ride at least two days a week eight miles each way. Then I had a bike injury with chronic pain for 2 years. My daughter was on the tagalong and decided to jerk to one side so I had to compensate.. Anyway I learned to many noncycling exercises. Now I am able to bike for about 20 minutes and hoping to bike commute again in two months
  • astronomicals
    astronomicals Posts: 1,537 Member
    Options
    Yes, and its great. Do some intervals on your way and you'll get faster and gain improved CV endurance. Just make sure you dont mash your pedals and chew up the teeth on your cassette and rings (assuming its not a fixie). Or don't.
  • Troublemonster
    Troublemonster Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I usually do all summer and into the fall but I only live about a mile from the office so, it's kinda like cheating.
  • allergictodiets
    allergictodiets Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I do. About 10 km in total, half of a distance with a child carrier attached.
  • umer76
    umer76 Posts: 1,272 Member
    Options
    I have cycled to office few times. It is 24 kms round trip. Going to office takes 35 min and coming back is uphill more than half the way and it takes 65-70 min. I am going to start commuting regularly from next week coz the underground station is going to be closed for next 3 months for renovations and going via bus will be extra time. In order to avoid that I have to cycle. I am hopeful that I will start commuting that will be great for my fitness!!
  • Janet_andpie
    Options
    I used to until my contract ended (was a temp)

About a 4 or 5 mile trip in 20-25 minutes.

Faster than the bus, but rush hour traffic was hella scary! Had a couple of near misses with ignorant drivers who want to kill me and blind or sleepy pedestrians that just step into the road without looking. =o

I really miss it *sad face*
    I hope I can cycle to work in my next job.
  • Mjhnbgff
    Mjhnbgff Posts: 112
    Options
    I wish :frown:

I only live 10 miles from my job and I could easily bike there via the gorgeous bike trail but I get really sweaty plus warm weather here also tends to be humid and changing my clothes and putting on makeup and fixing my hair would take too much time and is not something I want to do at work anyway. It's not that I'm high maintenance, it's that I work in a conservative corporate office and we have a business casual dress code.
  • iceqieen
    iceqieen Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    Yes!

10km each way, helps me wake up.. just a little inconvenience having to take a change of clothes with me.. but not too bad ;) Completely worth it!
  • FJMilner
    FJMilner Posts: 407
    Options
    I would really love to but in all honesty am scared to!!!! It's years since I've ridden a bike properly (apart from a short cycle on country roads) My work place is about 9 miles away but I would have to ride on quite busy roads. Since I've been thinking about it I've taken a lot more notice of other cyclist and how motorists act around them....and there are some real idiots on the road. They either don't give the cyclist enough room or they give the cyclist loads of room but to the detrement of oncoming vehicles!!! SCARED!!!!
  • slamina
    slamina Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Yes, this time of year but not when it's really cold!!!

About 6.5miles each way. Fairly quiet roads but couple of huge hills! There are a couple of routes I can take, one of which means cycling through part woodland and one across a field, so have no puncture tyres!!

Is a pain getting changed and often arrive lovely and sweaty! No showers at work but keep a pack of baby wipes and some deodrant so don't think I smell too much... if I do, well tough! I also walk/run for an hour at lunchtime so plenty of sweating going on lol.

I'm always starving by the time I get to work so eat my lunchtime sandwiches as a late breakfast and then just have fruit and nuts until hometime, I can only eat what I take with me so stops me from gannitting right out!

If I didn't incorporate my exercise into my commute and lunch break I just wouldn't get time to do any.