Zumba question

Options
Hey everyone,
I was wondering if anyone knew how many calories you really burn doing a Zumba class? I'm finding around 600 calories-is that right?

Replies

• dandelyon
    dandelyon Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    Depending on your weight and if you are working hard for an hour, that could definitely be accurate.

I usually log it as 45 minutes because we don't go hardcore for a full hour and MFP gives me 479 burned from that.
  • SpringFever19
    SpringFever19 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Generally for me yes. I found that my HRM was close to the cals from Aerobics-High Impact here on MFP
  • kylamaries
    kylamaries Posts: 291
    Options
    I use a few different caloric calculators in addition to mfp, and that sounds about accurate! http://www.webmd.com/diet/healthtool-fitness-calorie-counter I've been using that one in particular!
  • TigerBite
    TigerBite Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Ir's crazy, you don't realize the calories you're burning because it's actually fun!
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    Even when I 1st started Zumba & I was 80lbs heavier I never got 600 cals for my workout & this was with weights on hands & legs for extra 'burn' I was lucky to get about 300- 400
  • melfitnesspal13
    melfitnesspal13 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Depends on you, the intensity of the class, the length of class, etc.. I bought myself a watch that has a feature where you can "count" calories burned. I normally burn between 280 and 600 for a class (depends on how hard I work it that day). I paid $28 for my Sportline watch and it works fine, most of the time....:bigsmile:
  • chell53
    chell53 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    It could be correct depending on how much you are putting into the class, when I did it and had my HRM on it would show any where from 300 to 500 depending on my effort!
  • Sparlingo
    Sparlingo Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    When I started I was burning between 500 and 700 calories a class. I was carrying a lot of extra weight and I was killing it in terms of intensity (I go crazy!).

Now that I'm leaner, I burn between 400-550. I still go crazy with the intensity, but I don't have the body mass to support the huge burns I had before :smile:.
  • paintlisapurple
    paintlisapurple Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    I've (finally) got a hrm and the readings for this week were:
    Mon 48 mins 571 cals burned
    Tues 79 mins 807 burned
    Wed 64 mins 642 burned
    Thurs 57 mins 547 burned

I'm 5' 7" and (only this week) 175#

I'd say your estimate is about right for someone that is close to my size.

Have fun!!!!
  • hilaryhill
    hilaryhill Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone,
    I was wondering if anyone knew how many calories you really burn doing a Zumba class? I'm finding around 600 calories-is that right?

Zumba is my main cardio and I wear a heart rate monitor during it. Its an hour long and my class is intense.... My heart rate is mostly in the 150-160 range and after 60 mins it says I burned 600 calories. Im 5'9" and 195 lb and 27 yrs old. (it takes that into account when figuring calories burned)