Some Snackage ideas....

Options
Okay, so you're counting calories, watching your carbs, or just generally trying to lose some weight or be more fit... awesome!
Me too!

But I still get in this mode at times where I could just use some Snackage to go along with a drink, a TV Show, or just a little somethin' late at night while chillin' with some friends.

What do you do?? What kinds of things have you found good for some good snacking without blowing your calorie budget?

Let the ideas flow!!
(I could use something right now! :-)

l8r,
JR

Replies

• Eve23
    Eve23 Posts: 2,352 Member
    Options
    Frozen or freeze dried fruit are a nice snack. Vegies dipped in plain yogurt with ranch dip powder is also good. You can make your own chips but I am not sure what the calorie amount is. Popcorn is always tasty too.
  • coderedcoderedjkjk
    Options
    Try raw veggies. They have reallyyyyy low calories and are perfect for the munchies :) Or maybe some 100 calorie packs of snacks. They have them for almost anything!
  • WonderNoodle
    Options
    First let me say "snackage" cracks me up! :laugh: You speak my lingo!

When I need crunch, popcorn. When I need something when I'm not hungry, melons help me. Honeydew, cantaloupe or my fav when it's around WATERMELON. I sprinkle a tiny bit of salt so I get he sweet/salt satisfaction while staying in control.

I prefer no-prep for the inevitable snack-attacks. Will be curious to see what others post!
  • Angiepackmom4
    Options
    Pop Weaver light butter popcorn low in calories or White Mint Truffle Skinny Cow-100 calories 2.5 g fat are my favorites!
  • rjgazray
    rjgazray Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Pickles. I truly believe there is nothing like a good dill (or sweet if you prefer) pickle. Yes, they're higher in sodium but definitely low on calories. I've been enjoying a lot of fruit lately too. Mandarin oranges, strawberries, etc. etc. But if you need something crunchy/salty, PICKLES ALL THE WAY.
  • cricket74rob
    Options
    I find that frozen grapes give you the sugar you may crave in a healthy version :))
  • Amarea
    Amarea Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Another member gave me this idea and I love it. Take 1 whole graham cracker, break in 2, put 1 TBLS fat free cool whip spread on one, top with the other, wrap in plastic wrap and freeze. I made several and kept in the freezer for several days. The graham crackers will even have that sort of softness of a real ice cream sandwich. I make these for my sweet tooth, only about 78 calories each.
  • ncqueenbee
    ncqueenbee Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I always save room in my calorie allowance for 1oz of peanuts mixed with 16pcs (1 serving) of Ghirardelli's Double Chocolate Bittersweet Chips. They make a great trail mix! The dark chocolate is also full of antioxdants. I actually enter this in my food log early in the day. That way I know it's accounted for, and look forward to it as an after dinner snack.
  • sajar_06
    sajar_06 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Raw veggies, fruits, make up 100 calorie snack bags of fat free pretzels,cereal kashi or cheerios is good, popcorn snack bag, You can buy the 100 calorie packs of snacks and if you do not want your buddies to know then remove from packages and serve in or on your plates. Hope this helps. God Bless, brenda
  • WonderNoodle
    Options
    Another member gave me this idea and I love it. Take 1 whole graham cracker, break in 2, put 1 TBLS fat free cool whip spread on one, top with the other, wrap in plastic wrap and freeze. I made several and kept in the freezer for several days. The graham crackers will even have that sort of softness of a real ice cream sandwich. I make these for my sweet tooth, only about 78 calories each.

LOVE this idea! Thanks!
  • steadyasigo
    Options
    Plan: If you know you'll be chilling with friends that night eat a good breakfast and lite lunch and dinner. Walk an extra 3 miles and have what you want.

I will do popcorn, nuts, seeds of sorts. I usually like wine 2-3 nights a week so I make sure I can with food and a little of walking.

Great those 100 calories a bag deal and mix a few together .
    steadyasigo
  • udallmom101
    udallmom101 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    My favorite TV time snack is hummus and whole grain crackers. I just have the portion called for on the packages, and if wanted I like to have some No Sugar Added Canned Peaches. It does do a wonderful job of filling my cravings for sweet and salty together.
  • Cytherea
    Cytherea Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    I love 100 calories packs but I generally eat them for lunch instead of as a snack after dinner or while watching tv. Although I do love the 100 cal packs of popcorn- you can get the Popsecret "Butter" or "Homestyle" and it still gives you the good flavor in a limited portion (I'd easily eat the whole bag myself if I didn't get the little ones!).

I've also recently found some crackers/chips that are good when I want something salty after dinner. Wheat Thins Vegetable Crackers (the fiber ones) are awesome, wicked salty, Wheat Thins also makes a baked cracker in different flavors (parmesan and herb, garlic, veggie- they are all good), and there are a few brands that make different flavors of pretzel thins. Pepperidge Farm has a savory cheddar one that is so yummy, and I've recently found another brand and they have a bunch of different kinds. The hardest thing for me with salty snacks is the fat- the most fat in any serving of what I've listed here is 4g.

For the sweetness, I like Snackwell's Devil's Food cookies (expensive but good), Skinny Cow ice creams are my favorite (the mint chocolate sandwich and the strawberry shortcake in particular).

Those are my less-healthy indulgences. But sometimes, I'm just as good making myself a huge plate of carrots, celery, and cucumber with some veggie dip (made with no-fat sour cream and a packet of Lipton's/Knorr's- that's it!). I love this snack because when you are in the mood to eat a lot and want quantity rather than quality, you can eat a ton of veggies and dip without really hurting yourself!
  • Alioth
    Alioth Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    Honey-wheat pretzels or whole grain tortilla chips or low-fat popcorn. Quaker minis are also pretty good. They're tiny rice cakes drizzled with chocolate.
  • allie7383
    allie7383 Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Today I bought individual sized frozen yogurts from I believe, Blue Bunny. (They were 10 for $10, so how could I pass that up? :tongue: ) I think the calorie count was around 110-120 per container. Haven't actually tried them yet, but I bet that Cramel Praline Crunch sitting at home will be delicious!
  • KnightOwl
    Options
    Today I bought individual sized frozen yogurts from I believe, Blue Bunny. (They were 10 for $10, so how could I pass that up? :tongue: ) I think the calorie count was around 110-120 per container. Haven't actually tried them yet, but I bet that Cramel Praline Crunch sitting at home will be delicious!

Skinny cow also makes the little single servings. I love the Dulce de Leche. Haagen daazs also does their sorbet in the little containers. YUM. 120 cals each! The little containers are the best. They're just what you need when you want a frozen treat. Also, If you like frozen yogurt, try buying the chocolate yoplait whips and freezing them. Just like ice cream! :)

Happy Snacking!
  • Jrsturm777
    Options
    Man, these are some most excellent ideas.. but now after reading them all.... well, gotta go grab me some snackage.. I'm hungry!

Besides the creative graham cracker almost ice-cream sandwhich homemade dealy thing (which sounds munchalicious!) it looks like we have good momentum around:

1. 100 Cal Popcorn Bags
    2. Veggies Veggies Veggies
    3. Pickles or Melons
    4. 90\100 cal snack packs

Them right there are some good ideas...

Thanks!