snack attack suggestions!

Options
Ok I need some advice. I am finding that at night about an hour or two before I got to bed that I am hungry. Usually I can drink some more water and be ok, other nights, like tonight, it feels like I didn't eat all day.

I eat my allotted calories for the day, many days I have more because I exercise. Generally I try to have another healthy snack or allow myself an extra serving of meat at a meal if I have extra calories from working out,

But like tonight its 10:30 and Im hungry! I am trying not to eat after 9:00pm. I've read its not good for sleep or digestion to eat to close to bed time.

Does anyone have any snacks they can suggest I can eat during these nights that I'm hungry after 9?

thanks for the input!

Replies

• jazzcat55
    jazzcat55 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    My go-to snack is microwave popcorn in a brown paper bag. Three tablespoons makes a good-size bowl and is only 120 calories (I like it plain). Fast and easy and hardly any dirty dishes.
  • nikkiw29
    nikkiw29 Posts: 25
    Options
    I usually reach for a rice cake with a tablespoon of crunchy peanut butter! Or a handful of fresh blueberries, great slow acting carb so you won't be starving first thing in the morning either!
  • xstarxdustx
    xstarxdustx Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    A fuji apple usually works for me.
  • gimmecoffeeiv
    gimmecoffeeiv Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I usually go for popcorn. I pop it on the stove top in a pot in oil even. Not a ton of oil though. It's one of my favorite snacks.
  • Mariposa_Lily
    Mariposa_Lily Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    If you can find them, there are Cliff bar minis--100 calories each. Sometimes I see them at Target, and when i do, I buy several boxes--They make great "I don't want to eat but can't sleep until I get my tummy to stop rumbling" snacks.

I'll also sometime do a banana and a small glass of skim milk--if I remember correctly, a good bedtime snack has both good carbs and protein?
  • hpowers1129
    Options
    They make mini cliff bars? what? im on the hunt now. thank you for the suggestion!
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    Sargento low fat string cheese at 50 cals or Wasa Crispbread at 30 cals.
  • elispeli
    elispeli Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    A wasa cracker is huge for having only 30 calories! Smash some berries on the top for a 50 calorie, plate-sized snack. It's one of my favorite things.
    If I want to change it up, I put some lemon juice on it. Or Splenda/Truvia. Mmm. :smooched:
  • rozarotti
    rozarotti Posts: 139
    Options
    I also go for popcorn. I also cook mine in a brown paper bag, No Oil! :) I also go for 100 cal of Almonds, the 50cal string cheese, a piece of fruit, if I am really naughty I will do a half of a serving of baked tostitos and salsa. If you want sweet I like frozen yogurt, (publix brands are really yummy), Nature Valley Granola Thins (80cals), fruit or a few bites of those snicker unwrapped bites. Hope this helps! :)
  • rozarotti
    rozarotti Posts: 139
    Options
    They make mini cliff bars? what? im on the hunt now. thank you for the suggestion!

ME TOO!!!
  • DorothyR87
    DorothyR87 Posts: 113
    Options
    I think it kind of depends on what kind of thing you are hungry for as well. For something sweet I go forgrapes or low-fat vanilla yogurt and sometimes add in a few mini chocolate chips. For something salty, popcorn. For something savory, Laughing Cow cheese spread (available in all kinds of flavors) on crackers.
  • stephaniefiteni
    stephaniefiteni Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I usually go for popcorn. I pop it on the stove top in a pot in oil even. Not a ton of oil though. It's one of my favorite snacks.

I have a home-made popcorn maker, buy some popcorn kernals and pop away, some days I've even had up to 6-10 cups of popcorn per day. Pretty healthy, and hardly any sugar or fats if fresh and plain :)