Quinoa and Bulgur Wheat

Options
millerll
millerll Posts: 873 Member
Hello, all. I've been getting a little tired of brown rice and I've been reading great things about both quinoa and bulgur wheat. After some searching, I found both. Great. Now what? I made a little of both, and they're kind of bland on their own. I'm not sure what to make with them. If any of you have any healthy, easy recipes you'd like to share I'd be much obliged. thanks!

Lisa

Replies

• sblood
    sblood Posts: 2
    Options
    You can make tabouli with your bulgur wheat - add a heap of parsley, chopped tomatoes and lemon juice. And I do a quinoa pilaf with raisins and pine nuts (the pine nuts do rack up the calories, though).
  • stringcheeze
    Options
    Barley is another one to add to the list -- I love 1/2 cup of cold cooked barley added to 1/2 cup of yogurt.. With a shot of cinnamon, the chewy/creamy kind of reminds me of bread pudding. Also good just by itself as a typical side or since it doesn't have a whole lot of flavor itself (reminds me of oats) you can mix it with other stuff.

Quinoa -- I like this recipe (I leave out the tahini and cilantro, not a big fan of either) http://www.101cookbooks.com/archives/001493.html . I also like it made into breakfast -- cook then serve with a bit of mango, honey, and yogurt. http://www.101cookbooks.com/archives/001564.html is another one from that same site -- basically a grill up of any sturdy veggie you have in stock, finished with a bit of citrus, and serve with quinoa.

Bulgar -- brings back nightmares from my childhood of that dreaded recipe with raisins and tomato paste (I think it was for stuffed peppers, not sure, but man, I hated it). I haven't gotten the courage to try this grain again yet. :)
  • nakrya
    nakrya Posts: 191
    Options
    Hello, all. I've been getting a little tired of brown rice and I've been reading great things about both quinoa and bulgur wheat. After some searching, I found both. Great. Now what? I made a little of both, and they're kind of bland on their own. I'm not sure what to make with them. If any of you have any healthy, easy recipes you'd like to share I'd be much obliged. thanks!

Lisa

I made teriyaki quinoa tonight for dinner. I got the recipe from 'alive' magazine's site (they have great recipes btw).

Basically cook the quinoa with water, garlic. Once it's done, add soy sauce, ginger, honey, lemon juice, sesame oil. You can top it off with sesame seeds, green onions, etc.

It's a great recipe with chicken or tofu. If you want more info, feel free to message me.

When I first tried quinoa, I had it plain and did not like it. You just have to play around with seasonings to see what you like!
  • LaSirena29
    Options
    I cook a lot of grains. When you are just eating the grains themselves, they can be a bit bland. I suggest toasting them in the pan for a few minutes before adding your liquid. That goes a long way to adding flavor. Also, I almost never make them with plain water. I use stock (I'm vegetarian, so I use a veggie stock, but you could use any type you like) or I add a product like Better Than Bouillon, about 1tsp (Vegetarian Chicken is 38 calories) to 2 cups of water.

Take a look at the Smitten Kitchen (www.smittenkitchen.com) blog. She's got a lot of quinoa recipes.

I'll second the person who suggested you try barley. I just made this recipe & have been eating it for lunch for a few days. You could use quinoa instead of the barley.

Black Bean Barley Salad
    1 cup barley, cooked according to package directions (about 2 cups cooked)
    1 15-ounce can black beans, rinsed
    3/4 cup frozen corn (thawed)
    1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro
    3 tablespoons lime juice
    1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
    Pinch of cayenne pepper
    Salt & freshly ground pepper to taste

Combine cooked barley, beans, corn, cilantro, lime juice, oil, cayenne pepper, salt and pepper in a medium bowl.

Divided into 5 servings, it's 309 calories a serving.
  • millerll
    millerll Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    Oh, man, these are great ideas! Thanks so much. Looks like I've got some cooking to do tomorrow! I'm wondering how this would be mixed in with my morning greek yogurt? Yet another culinary experiment to add to my list......
  • MrsBattousai
    Options
    Hey!

For a change from oatmeal every morning I eat Bulgur wheat. I take about 1/4 cup and some fruit I love Banana's or apple. Cut the fruit up put the uncooked bulgar wheat and some almond milk or water or skim milk. Make it ahead of time like the night before, in the morning take it out and I like to add a egg white then Micrwave for 5 mins. I like to add a little cinminn and brown sugar or honey.

Enjoy!
  • elenacy
    elenacy Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Greek yoghurt and bulgar wheat go great together ;)
  • spaghetti93
    spaghetti93 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I know this wasn't exactly what you were asking but another alternative you could try could be kasha (Some people mistake it for bulgur wheat but its not quite the same.)
  • pondmermaid
    pondmermaid Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I actually had a super dish at a restaurant with Quinoa- they served it with mixed vegetables as a bed for a nice piece of grilled salmon. It had a lite lemon sauce but you could just use fresh lemon juice instead at home. That is easier.
  • MrsWells1983
    Options
    I use quinoa (there's 3 different types, white, red and black. I've only ever had the white and red) in place of rice and potato. I personally prefer to eat it over brown rice any day! You can also have it in salads (cold) or also as a cous cous substitute. I boil it in some stock and add a whole heap of spices!

I also eat raw buckwheat in place of arborio rice for risottos! So I just cook it in the same way I would a normal risotto and it's amazing! So much better than rice, I also find it heaps more filling than rice too.

I had never eaten either of these until I started trying a clean eating lifestyle. I don't adhere strictly to clean eating principles (due to budget and availability and accessibility of products) but I do 'try' and eat as low processed as possible.

HTH

Tam x

Edited due to bad grammar.... sheesh I write like poo sometimes!
  • rladd6421
    rladd6421 Posts: 455
    Options
    i just made some stuffed peppers the other night with quinoa, ground chicken, mushrooms, spinach, garlic, onion and diced tomatoes. turned out delicious.
  • herebeeri
    herebeeri Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    This is a really delicious low calorie butternut squash and sweet potato casserole recipe that uses bulgar wheat http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/2888/
  • deedster_a
    deedster_a Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I like white wheat berries. With a little butter, they remind me a little of popcorn.
  • vegan4lyfe2012
    vegan4lyfe2012 Posts: 1,141 Member
    Options
    Bump :)
  • shawnepeters
    Options
    Most reacently I have placed Quinoa in a pot with water(as directions call for) and add water chesnuts, Carrots, Onion and Celery. I use it often in place of rice. I prefer it actually because of its nutty taste, not to mention its nutritional value!
  • karivarner
    Options
    I do a spiced fruit quinoa, i use apple pie spice & dried fruits that I have on hand. Makes a great breakfast, with a little maple flavored agave syrup. I have used bulgur for years as a hot breakfast for my girls. They love it fixed like oatmeal, or in a bowl with yogurt & fruit on it. I also do a bulgur/steel cut blend for breakfast.

I also use quinoa to replace pasta or rice in nearly any dish.
  • Smash323
    Smash323 Posts: 16
    Options
    I use quinoa (there's 3 different types, white, red and black. I've only ever had the white and red) in place of rice and potato. I personally prefer to eat it over brown rice any day! You can also have it in salads (cold) or also as a cous cous substitute. I boil it in some stock and add a whole heap of spices!
    Huh! I didn't know this. Do they taste any differently from each other?
    I also eat raw buckwheat in place of arborio rice for risottos! So I just cook it in the same way I would a normal risotto and it's amazing! So much better than rice, I also find it heaps more filling than rice too.
    This I gotta try. I love my risotto, and I'm looking for healthier ways to make it. Have you ever made risotto with quinoa in place of the arborio rice?
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    There's a Turkish dish made with bulgar wheat called Kisir. You mix in some chopped tomatoes, some tomato puree, a bit of garlic and some chilli flakes.
  • MrsWells1983
    Options
    Huh! I didn't know this. Do they taste any differently from each other?
    This I gotta try. I love my risotto, and I'm looking for healthier ways to make it. Have you ever made risotto with quinoa in place of the arborio rice?

The different colour quinoa taste slightly different, but not much. I haven't used quinoa for risotto, i'm not sure it's "starchy" enough to thicken. You could try it though! If you do let me know!!
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    Tabbouleh is made from the Bulgar wheat. Make a ton of it. It not only tastes great, fills you up, is healthy for you but send you to the loo so it detoxes as well.

I have mine as meals & not sides.