Weight loss for short people, advice please

Options
2»

Replies

• whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,026 Member
    Options
    The derp is too strongly rooted. Abandon thread!
  • meghan6867
    meghan6867 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    In addition to weight loss you have to consider what is maintainable.

Do an honest assessment... do you really think you can keep up eating 1200 calories a day or less for an extended period of time? I know I wouldn't be able to...

Not only is unhealthy, it's also unrealistic. Food is fuel and you NEED it.
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    I'm 4' 10 1/2" and I eat 1530 calories a day to lose weight.

Also, OMG at the misinformation in this thread. Wow.

ETA: To the OP, it's not a race. Losing 2 lb a week is not sustainable. Your success will be much more likely to last if you lose a little slower.
  • nfgchick79
    nfgchick79 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Oh boy, another short thread...

I'm 5'0".
    SW: 134
    CW: 110
    LW: 106
    Goal is to maintain/build muscle. I started at 1200 for about 5 months. I lost about 15 lbs, hit a major plateau. Then I upped it to 1500 and started losing again. I got down to 106 (over another 4-5 months) but then had surgery and some health issues and went up to 110 which is where I currently am. I eat between 1500-1800 a day depending on my workouts. I workout currently between 4-6 days a week doing a combination of strength, cardio and yoga. Don't buy into the b.s. that if you're short that automatically means you have to eat low calories. I use the TDEE method pretty loosely. www.scoobysworkshop.com has a great calculator.

For the record when I did 1200 I felt okay for a bit but then started to feel quite tired and realized I wasn't eating enough to fuel my workouts. I am a much happier person eating a bit more. I look and feel great. If you stalk my profile the pics in the orange dress I am at my lowest of 106.
  • Love_Is_My_Fuel
    Love_Is_My_Fuel Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2 and eat 1500-1600 calories a day..losing about 1.5 to 2 lbs. a week but I'm working out 600-1000 calories a day.
  • pineapple_jojo
    pineapple_jojo Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    So amazed at the discussion surrounding this issue, regardless of height! Be good if mfp could give an official line onn this
  • pineapple_jojo
    pineapple_jojo Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    What's the rush?

Getting married next year :heart:
  • csheltra26
    csheltra26 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I went to a registered dietician - at the time I was working out 12+ hours a week. She put me on 1200 calories a day and did not recommend I eat my exercise calories. I lost 50 pounds relatively quickly. But I ruined my metabolism and gained it all back. I was eating at a deficit, exercising maybe 6 hours a week vs 12. And still gained it all back.

Don't eat less than 1200 - don't eat less than your BMR. You want to keep any muscle you have as that helps you burn more calories during the day. If you exercise, eat back your calories. Save your metabolism. In the end you want to be able to eat as much as possible on maintenance.