The Truth Behind Calorie Labels

michellekicks
michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
Have you ever seen this video? If you eat out frequently, you should...

http://youtu.be/hE2lna5Wxuo

Replies

• volume77
    volume77 Posts: 670 Member
    wow!!! that was really interesting!! i think ill be eating at subwway more often:) that muffin is absoutely ridiculous!!! 734 !!!
  • JeanMarieJ
    JeanMarieJ Posts: 53 Member
    Nice!! I don't eat out a tone but I'm glad you shared it!! I immediately posted it on my blog FB page
  • missymuffet
    missymuffet Posts: 101 Member
    I totally have gotta watch this since I'm always eating out!
  • missymuffet
    missymuffet Posts: 101 Member
    Couldn't sleep so I watched it now. Pretty scary!!! Good thing I don't eat much processed food.
  • astronomicals
    astronomicals Posts: 1,537 Member
    Chipotle was pretty damn close considering it varies in size. I wonder if that was a nice sized burrito or a WTF-is-this burrito.
  • Haima
    Haima Posts: 93 Member
    Wow! That was interesting. Makes me think twice about what I am going to order the next time I go out. I might as well add an addition "X" amount of calories to what I think I am getting!
  • cbenini87
    cbenini87 Posts: 1 Member
    That video is interesting. It's a good start. Would like to see more studies on that done. Based on that small sample size though it would seem the bigger the company is, the closer to accuracy.

Seems odd that while he's questioning the accuracy of nutrition labels, he's comparing it to other things like a Big Mac where we don't know how accurate that nutrition label is.
  • britzzie
    britzzie Posts: 338 Member
    bump to watch while not at work...in 2.5 hours...but who's counting....2.48...
  • freddi11e
    freddi11e Posts: 317 Member
    bump to watch after work as well... 8 more hoursss
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    My takeaway from it was just that the more often you eat prepared foods that are supposed to contain a certain number of calories, the more often you're adding uncertainty to your food diary, even if you track it.

If you're making everything at home with fresh ingredients, you can be relatively certain of the calorie counts. I suspect even packaged items are more accurate than hand-prepared items in restaurants, but even then, we don't know.

So again, everything is an estimate. The closer you can get with your estimates the easier a time you're going to have with weight loss. Those who say they can't lose should likely look into preparing more foods themselves if they're not currently.