Do fat burner supplements REALLY work???

Options
Aerosam
Aerosam Posts: 115 Member
As the title says really, I have been considering buying some supplements to augment my fat loss when doing cardio work and/or strength training. But do they really do anything or are they just an expensive placebo?

If they do work, what type are the most effective? (such as caffiene free or not)

Please dont answer with quotes from manufacturers websites, I want real world advice from real world experience.

Thanks,

Sam.

Replies

• AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    No.

/thread
  • tonytoo
    tonytoo Posts: 307
    Options
    caffeine and yohimbine
    caffeine and ephedrine

might... might...

caffeine certainly boosts your heart rate through cardio. 400mg caffeine boosts mine nicely.

I have no clue if a boosted heart rate directly translates into a greater calorie burn, but people like Lyle McDonald suggest it. It certainly doesn't do any harm. (unless you miss sleep!)

edit: real world info. My HRM for 30 minutes fairly hard work on an elliptical says 360 calories, drug free. If I take 400mg caffeine the HRM says 360 calories in 24 minutes. 25% better I think.
  • banana_milk
    Options
    Caffeine / ephedrine
    But without a caloric deficit, any fat burner is useless.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    no.

Just... no.
  • mahanaibu
    mahanaibu Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    and to elaborate....no
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Caffeine / ephedrine

Yeah theres just one little side effect with this combo it's not really a big deal but it kind of causes heart arrhythmias and heart attacks in some people. I mean if you don't mind that little side effect it can work, but who really needs a heart I think it's kind of like your appendix.
  • banana_milk
    Options
    Caffeine / ephedrine

Yeah theres just one little side effect with this combo it's not really a big deal but it kind of causes heart arrhythmias and heart attacks in some people. I mean if you don't mind that little side effect it can work, but who really needs a heart I think it's kind of like your appendix.

It's relatively safe if you know how to dose properly. Stop being so dramatic.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Caffeine / ephedrine

That combo is not actually legal in a bunch of countries, due to the health issues associated. but you know, no biggie.
  • Kr1ptonite
    Kr1ptonite Posts: 789 Member
    Options
    Iv used many of them and found them to be a waste of money. Using them never gave me any different results to when i didn't use them. Best fat burner you can get is good old diet and exercise.
  • banana_milk
    Options
    Caffeine / ephedrine

That combo is not actually legal in a bunch of countries, due to the health issues associated. but you know, no biggie.

Don't really feel like arguing. If you're interested in fat burners, then you should look up as much info as possible on it before trying it out. I simply answered OP's question. All fat burners will have some sort of negative side effect. No one is forcing you to use an EC stack.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    It's relatively safe if you know how to dose properly...
    So is heroin. Doesn't mean I'd advocate or even recommend that people use it.
  • glovepuppet
    glovepuppet Posts: 1,713 Member
    Options
    if it was as simple as popping a pill, no nasty side effects, then half the members of mfp wouldn't be here.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Caffeine / ephedrine

Yeah that's why the FDA banned alkaloids of ephedra.

Maybe if practicing traditional Chinese medicine and having simple tinctures of ephedra leaves I might agree (for traditional uses like asthma), but if one is actually consuming unregulated pills combined with another stimulant then I tend to disagree.
  • SarahSmilesCA
    SarahSmilesCA Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Supplements can not replace good nutrition and exercise program but they can enhance it. Sorta like the multiplication property If you do zero to reduce calories and add exercise supplements it will not give you any results (multiplying by zero, you get zero), but if you add supplements to a good program is does render better results (multiplying by a whole number you get more).

I really like a product called Fem Fire. It has a little caffeine (green tea) and some lipotrophic vitamins (B complex). I love BCAA's, my number one supplement (branch chain amino acids). I do protein powders....these are all the fat burning enhancers I have found that help me.. Most of the stuff out there does not work and jacks you up (One is even called something like that)

I have read good things about yohimbine, and I have also read that it is nasty as ****. (Martin Berkhan from Leangains is so eloquent sometimes lol)

Reducing carbs, exercising, and calorie deficit are all the fat burning you need. Give it time and stick to the program. It works.
  • banana_milk
    Options
    It's relatively safe if you know how to dose properly...
    So is heroin. Doesn't mean I'd advocate or even recommend that people use it.

Eh, I don't think the two drugs are comparable. Like I said, I only answered OP's question. I highly advise looking up more information on an EC stack if you're considering it.
  • Lrdoflamancha
    Lrdoflamancha Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    I guess the no nos have it. My personal experience.... No is the correct response. None of them helped.
  • GravyBrah
    GravyBrah Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Fat burners definitely work but its meant for people with already low body fat percentages (<10%) who have already exhausted their fat burning protocols like calorie deficit, increased calorie output, macro-nutrient ratios, intermittent fasting, etc. The lower percentage body fat gets, the more the body wants to hold on to it, like a survival mode.

If you are looking for a shortcut for general weight loss, that's not their intended purpose and they most likely won't work for you. I probably do not need to explain why high concentrations of stimulants are also not a good idea. There have been many deaths linked with fat burners and lots of potential for metabolic damage as well.

That being said, the most cost effective and tried and true performing stack would be ECA (Ephedrine Caffeine and Aspirin).
  • Mario_Az
    Mario_Az Posts: 1,331 Member
    Options
    i like it cause it increase my blood flow gives me some energy makes me veiny take it 15 mins before i do hit cardio will make you sweat more but it just something that gives you a extra boost you still have to do work can i say it works 100 percent no but it helped me everyones body will have a different effect. just be aware if you take any fat burners and you have never had them before you might feel weird it will increase your heart rate so always start off with half a cap then go up from there to see your tolerance

2yju8av.jpgqrwuvd.jpg
  • glovepuppet
    glovepuppet Posts: 1,713 Member
    Options
    Caffeine / ephedrine

i live with heart arrhythmia. fortunately for me, mine is benign.
    ...benign doesn't mean it's not extremely unpleasant when it's bad.
    feels like being kicked from inside my chest and it literally knocks the wind out of me.
    it restricts the amount and type of exercise i can do much of the time.
    personally, i think only a complete moron would risk it for no good reason.
  • banana_milk
    Options
    Caffeine / ephedrine

Yeah that's why the FDA banned alkaloids of ephedra.

Maybe if practicing traditional Chinese medicine and having simple tinctures of ephedra leaves I might agree (for traditional uses like asthma), but if one is actually consuming unregulated pills combined with another stimulant then I tend to disagree.

Ephedrine is not banned in the US. I live in Indiana, and there's a purchase limit (I think like 3.4g per month) and you have to be over 18 to buy it. Anyway, if you aren't a fan of stims, that's perfectly fine. Like I keep saying, I merely answered OP's question.