So what's with this Sugar then ? FAQ

Options
yarwell
yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
Firstly, if you don't want to track sugar daily you can turn it off in the settings of your food diary at http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/diary_settings (top left)

Secondly, if you want to use a higher target than MFP's standard you can change that in Custom Goals at http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/change_goals_custom (lower left)

1. What is MFP's sugar target ?

The value appears to be set at 8% of your daily calories. So if your calorie goal is 2000 cals the sugar part is 160 cals or 40 grams per day.

2. Where does the target come from ?

It is almost certainly a limit for "added sugars" or "non-milk extrinsic sugars" based on Nutritional Guidelines.

The American Heart Association say "For most American women, that’s no more than 100 calories per day, or about 6 teaspoons of sugar. For men, it’s 150 calories per day, or about 9 teaspoons." That's 25 or 38 grams per day respectively of added sugars based on "no more than half your discretionary calories". http://circ.ahajournals.org/content/120/11/1011.full.pdf

The World Health Organisation sets a guideline for added sugars to be less than 10% of energy intake. http://www.who.int/bulletin/volumes/81/8/en/Steyn0803.pdf

The EU have discussed a limit of 90g (18% of energy on a 200 cal diet) for total sugars and observed that 45g is a typical adult intake of intrinsic or naturally occurring sugars from fruit, veg and dairy. http://www.efsa.europa.eu/en/efsajournal/doc/1008.pdf

Australia has a Dietary Recommended Intake value for total sugars of 90g per day, as has the EU (for a 2000 calorie diet - so 18% of energy). Annex 13 of Regulation (EU) No 1169/2011

3. What are "added sugars" ?

This depends on your regulatory authorities. In the UK "added sugars is defined as any mono- or
disaccharide or any other food used for its sweetening properties. This would include, but is not exclusively limited to: sucrose, fructose, glucose, glucose syrups, fructose-glucose syrups, corn syrups, invert sugar, honey, maple syrup, malt extract, dextrose, fruit juices, deionised fruit juices, lactose, maltose, high maltose syrups, Agave syrup, dextrin and maltodextrin. The sugars contained in dried fruit are assumed to be intrinsic and are not included as added sugars. The sugars in milk powder are not included as added sugars, in line with COMA dietary guidelines which deemed sugars in milk as a special case and did not set guidelines to limit their intake."

Others are similar, the target being sugars deliberately added to a food product rather than those which happen to occur naturally in the other ingredients of the product. These regulatory definitions are often a political compromise between science, health and food industry interests - the exclusion for sugar in milk for example is probably a result of pressure from the dairy industry and may have little scientific credibility.

4. Which sugars are natural ?

All of them. Sucrose is found in sugar cane and sugar beet as well as in many fruits - half the sugars in orange are sucrose. Glucose is common in fruit but is less sweet than fructose. Fructose is mainly found in honey and fruit and has the highest sweetness intensity of the sugars. Lactose is a sugar and the main carbohydrate in milk products. High fructose corn syrup (HFCS) is perhaps the most manipulated sugar product in common use - starch from corn is broken down to glucose and 42-55% of that are then "isomerized" by enzymes or similar processes into fructose molecules to create a liquid syrup with the sweetening characteristics of sucrose but at lower cost.

5. How do natural and added sugars differ chemically ?

They don't. The sucrose molecule is the same wherever you find it. It can be split into a glucose and a fructose molecule under acid conditions or by an enzyme. The resulting fructose and glucose molecules are the same as the native fructose and glucose molecules from fruit. Molecular diagrams at https://cdavies.files.wordpress.com/2009/01/glucose-fructose-sucrose.jpg

Note that fruit juice is a natural sugar but becomes an "added sugar" if used to sweeten a food product.

6. Are natural sugars processed differently in the body ?

No. A glucose molecule or a fructose molecule looks the same to your liver, muscles etc wherever it came from. Fructose molecules follow a different pathway via the liver in contrast to other sugars or carbohydrates, some scientists believe this makes fructose potentially problematic and a "cause" of obesity, diabetes, etc. Robert Lustig, John Yudkins, David Gilespie and others have written books with emotive titles about the "dangers" of sugar or fructose.

In eating a whole fruit the fiber content and dilute nature of the sugars reduces the rate and amount we consume. The same cannot be said of fruit juice (fibre removed) which can contain 50% more sugars than regular cola drinks. Fruit has some vitamins and minerals and is generally perceived as "healthy", especially by its marketers, but ultimately the sugar in a fruit is the same stuff as the sugar in sugar cane and looks identical inside your organs.

7. What should I do ?

This is a matter of personal choice. The approach of 90g total sugars per 2000 calories (18% of energy) seems to be accepted in a number of countries, with MFP's minimum 1200 calorie setting this would be 54g of sugars. At this level the fructose intake will be below the level that some regard as potentially problematic.

If your consumption of fruit (or any food) takes you above this level then you may wish to research further the types of sugar you are eating and the potential health implications. You may choose to set a higher level, or simply to ignore it and just track carbohydrates.

If you read or follow Robert Lustig, John Yudkins or David Gilespie and buy into their arguments then you may want to stick with the MFP value or set a different one based on what you have learned.

Replies

• Alexandra289
    Alexandra289 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    Great post - everyone should read this!
  • aloranger7708
    aloranger7708 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    This is a great post. I always eat a little too much sugar (not way over, but usually not under) but it's never processed. 1/2 cup blueberries has 7g sugar, as do 10 baby carrots. If I eat both of those in one day I'm already 1/3 of the way through my intake for the day.
  • ST99000722
    ST99000722 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Great post , thanks ! :smile:
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    Great post, yarwell. I like that you've included some guidelines for total sugar which are especially hard to come by in the U.S. since sugar is still marketed as harmless empty calories and not a health concern unless you're diabetic.
  • SashaMegan
    SashaMegan Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    thanks for the post! very clear & informative.
  • f1on4e
    f1on4e Posts: 20
    Options
    Thank you :-)
  • llstacy
    llstacy Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Great information. Thanks!
  • kellijauch
    kellijauch Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I usually ignore the sugar goal, as it is so low, it is unrealistic, and I'm not eating added sugars, just fruits and such. This is a really informative post. Thanks for sharing.
  • ohnstadk
    ohnstadk Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Thank you for this post, if you dont mind me asking, where did you find this information?? It is fantastic and I would love the link to send it to family and friends
  • shannashannabobana
    shannashannabobana Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Thanks for making the point about the ability to change your settings, since those -whatever's tend to bug the heck out of people :) Me I track sugar just to see where I am but don't worry too much about it if I go over one day, especially if it's fruit. So YMMV.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Thank you for this post, if you dont mind me asking, where did you find this information?? It is fantastic and I would love the link to send it to family and friends
    A variety of sources including personal experiences and knowledge gained working in the food industry. I tried to link to the easily accessible public sources where I could remember or find them.
  • llstacy
    llstacy Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Bump. Everyone always has questions about sugar.
  • AlabasterVerve
    Options
    It is a great FAQ. I think everyone I've linked to it has found it helpful -- thanks again for putting it together yarwell.
  • frizbeemom
    frizbeemom Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    bump. nice information!
  • SarahRose35
    SarahRose35 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Great post (: I turned my sugar off a while ago because I hated seeing that red number. I eat a lot of fruit & little added sugar, so I started keeping track of my fiber intake (:
  • mitzvahmom78
    mitzvahmom78 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Thank you for that information. I was really confused about this.
  • MorningWhispers
    Options
    I turned my sugar off too, I eat an apple and few carrots for breakfast and I'm over already.
  • seliinac
    seliinac Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Great post (: I turned my sugar off a while ago because I hated seeing that red number. I eat a lot of fruit & little added sugar, so I started keeping track of my fiber intake (:

That's exactly what I did - for the same reason.
  • emmalking
    emmalking Posts: 1
    Options
    Thanks, really helpful to know. I'm going to keep tracking my sugar, but know that it can be twice as much without worrying too much (the 18%) but reflect on what the source of the sugar is.
  • AlabasterVerve
    Options
    Bump to keep in my top 25 topics.