Re: Excited Gym Newbie.....

Options
This may not seem like a big deal, I know. As a full-time student (almost finished with my B.S.!), a parent of three, and work, I find it tough to make time for myself. I put off joining a gym for quite some time, due to many factors. I decided to MAKE the time and put aside the money, because damn it I am worth it.

I’ve been incorporating movement and weight training from home. Walks, spinning, dancing, and my “baby” weights (I don’t have many free weights, and they’re all below 25). I really want to kick it up a notch! Building muscle contributes to calorie burning, plus I do eventually want to look rather toned. Weight room, here I come! Elliptical, better watch out!

I could go on and on. Joining a gym is a must at this point, a necessity. I am so in need of variety, pertaining to both cardio and strength training. I guess this is a declaration of fitness or something, I don’t know. I don’t post normally, but feel this is something big for me and merited posting. Any pointers for gym newbies like myself?

Replies

• HelloDan
    HelloDan Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    Nice decision to make sure you take care of yourself!

The best pointers I can give are:

1) Have a plan for how you are going to train, and some goals, and stick with it, otherwise you may go in and just start flitting around, never really progressing or achieving much.

2) Don't worry about anyone else, stick with your plan, don't be embarrassed or intimidated, or let the actions of other people derail you. Most people are in the gym yo train, not worry about what anyone else is doing.

3) Don't be afraid to ask for help if you're not sure about something.

Hope you have fun and make some good progress.
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,153 Member
    Options
    Check out nerdfitness.com and jefit.com. The former has good advice for warm ups and how to work out, and the latter is a good database of exercises and routines broken down by muscle group and experience level.
  • PrimalPixie
    PrimalPixie Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the tips/links, guys.:happy:
  • PrimalPixie
    PrimalPixie Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Nice decision to make sure you take care of yourself!

The best pointers I can give are:

1) Have a plan for how you are going to train, and some goals, and stick with it, otherwise you may go in and just start flitting around, never really progressing or achieving much.

2) Don't worry about anyone else, stick with your plan, don't be embarrassed or intimidated, or let the actions of other people derail you. Most people are in the gym yo train, not worry about what anyone else is doing.

3) Don't be afraid to ask for help if you're not sure about something.

Hope you have fun and make some good progress.
    I have to especially remember number 2!!