Lose 1 lb, eat 5 lbs worth.

Hello all,

For many months I've been dealing with a very bad habit of stress eating. It is hard to over come and at times I will eat because of boredom. I'm so used to being at my current weight, losing seems like something in a far away dream.

I've started going back to the gym regularly but this causes me to think, "I worked out, I can afford to eat this…and this and this…"

Occasionally I will lose 1-2 pounds then just as soon gain them back because I can't stop the pointless noshing.

What are your best tips to combat this?

Thanks!

Replies

• Paco4gsc
    Paco4gsc Posts: 119 Member
    Making it a rule to log before consuming any meal or snack. That extra step is annoying and because it's annoying, it can help put on the brakes to overindulgence.

Also, make sure to try to accurately log calories burned after the gym. Then, you know exactly how much of "this and that" you can afford to eat.
  • Oh, I forgot to mention, I don't log food anymore. I've been on here for well over a year now and know the calorie count of things. I'm just stubborn and over eat regardless because that's what I've grown accustomed too. And I wear a heart rate monitor so all my gym calcs are accurate.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    make it work for you. sounds like you are a grazer, someone that just wants to be eating a little bit all day. other people can eat 2-3 big meals in one day.

so adjust your eating habits. don't sit down for big meals, but instead graze on (healthy) snacks all day. things like nuts, carrot sticks, fruits, etc.

also, if you are having this issue, you should start logging again. i don't always log my food either, but i know that when i've put on a few pounds, i need to get back to it.
  • AJ_Pete
    AJ_Pete Posts: 863 Member
    make it work for you. sounds like you are a grazer, someone that just wants to be eating a little bit all day. other people can eat 2-3 big meals in one day.

so adjust your eating habits. don't sit down for big meals, but instead graze on (healthy) snacks all day. things like nuts, carrot sticks, fruits, etc.

also, if you are having this issue, you should start logging again. i don't always log my food either, but i know that when i've put on a few pounds, i need to get back to it.

I agree with Danny, Becky. I think it's time to start logging again. I had to when the weight stopped coming off.
  • EmilyOfTheSun
    EmilyOfTheSun Posts: 1,548 Member
    You should be able to have the thought process, "Well I worked out so I can afford to eat this." Track your food and your calories burned so you know exactly what you can afford to eat. That's the whole point of logging. Get a food scale to ensure accuracy when logging. Good luck!
  • rlmadrid
    rlmadrid Posts: 694 Member
    Oh, I forgot to mention, I don't log food anymore. I've been on here for well over a year now and know the calorie count of things. I'm just stubborn and over eat regardless because that's what I've grown accustomed too. And I wear a heart rate monitor so all my gym calcs are accurate.

Maybe it would be worth taking the time to log in these situations? Like if you are going to overeat by an extra chicken breast you know the value of it. But if you're about to ravage an ice cream cone, the visual representation of it's caloric and macro values may deter you or at least shrink the amount you have.

Having said that, I tried a bulk phase and only logged a food here and there if someone made it for me or I ate out. I had a general idea of what I was eating and wanted about 1800 + exercise. The phase went very well, but returning to losing was very hard. I found I couldn't make any efficient progress because being 100-300 cals off was way more important to my progress. Maybe starting to log again for a couple weeks would let you see your patterns and recreate your habits.
  • whitecapwendy
    whitecapwendy Posts: 287 Member
    you may know the amount of calories in things, but we lose track of how many calories are stacking up. I log everything--especially my mess ups. It is often painful to do so, but it reminds me how fast my calorie allotment disappears. I consider a green number at the bottom of my calorie intake at the end of each day a medal. But if part of my day's choices are poor ones--junk food, sweets etc, I take no pleasure (although I do not deny myself the occasional treat--I try to keep it occasional and sometimes unsuccessfully). If I have gone over on my calorie allotment but all my choices were good ones, I have no problem with it, but try to keep the going over a minimum (under 100 calories). If I do not lose, I usually know exactly why and can point to which days and what food choices. I have been at this since January and have learned what my body responds to and what it doesn't. So far, I have done okay--53.2 pounds off since January 4

An example, if I go out and use my debit card to buy small purchases, but do not keep track of how much I am spending and how much the money in my account is depleting, I am going to find myself in big trouble real soon.