Breathing and exercise

Options
Anyone have tips on breathing the correct way while exercising. Well, at least walking. That is all that I can do right now. And does swinging your arms help with burning calories!! I am on a mission!!!

Replies

• Tangerine302
    Tangerine302 Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    It's great that you are walking! I think any movement is excellent for you! I would think moving your arms would also benefit! Good luck to you! I don't know what others think about the breathing part, but I would say just breathe as you need to! :)
  • resistance_freak
    Options
    With any exercise, the rule is that you exhale on the as you move the muscle through the resistance portion of the movement. e.g. If you're doing a pushup, you would inhale as you lower yourself to the ground, and exhale while you push yourself back up to the top of the movement, completing the exhale at the very top position.

Now, I'm not sure how this should apply to walking since each step could be counted as resistance. But maybe you can take what I do with running and apply it to walking. When I'm running, I inhale for 3 steps, and exhale for 3 steps. Now, 3 might not be the magic number for your walking breathing. You'll probably have to experiment with that a little, maybe try inhaling for 2 steps and exhaling for 2 steps. But to try to breathe in deeply and exhale completely and you will get more out of your walks!

Good luck to you!