Any other Hypothyroidisms out there?

Options
I was "diagnosed" with hypothyroidism about 5 or 6 years ago. Hereditary in our family, so not much of a surprise.
I was usually able to keep my levels within the normal range with meds and blood work a few times a year. After I had my son (3 yo), my levels have been monitored about 3 - 4 times a year due to more frequent changes. My doctor adjusts my medication and I always end up back in the "normal" range, but I can NOT shake the weight! I am sure to have a calorie deficit every day (or at least average it out over a few days) and track everything I eat and wear a BodyMedia band to track calories burnt. I am using Chalean Extreme for weights 3 days a week and then either the cardio that goes with that, TurboFire, or other cardio the other 3 - 4 days a week.

Is there anything else I can do? Are there any "thyroid super foods" that can help???

Anyone else having similar issues?!?!?!?!

Replies

• selfmom5
    selfmom5 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    It may be your meds.... Are they synthetic? There is a really good website called stopthethyroidmadness.com...... Lots of good info!
    I know since the birth in my last baby (2yrs ago) I am having trouble keeping mine regulated. But I chose to stop taking my meds when I am pregnant and my drs ok with it so long as my # s don't drop too low. I got close to having to get back on them with the last one at the end.
    I am trying all natural remedies as well as my armour right now... But my weight is not budging right now and it's frustrtating!
  • mandylynn1975
    mandylynn1975 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain and have lived the life. Still living it, I guess, lol. Just so much better now. Runs in my family too. Used to get so mad. I did everything right...ate high fiber, healthy foods, worked out regularly, and held myself to 1500 cals a day, but did not lose an ounce and my cholesterol kept going up too. Grrrr....so angry that i put in the work but never saw the benefits and furthermore if I didn't do these things, I would gain weight. So unfair, especially for someone in their 20s at the time. And slowly over the years that's exactly what I did. My highest weight was 230 a year after my youngest son was born. I was able to drop 40lbs then by starving and depriving myself. but I couldnt live that way so eventually I gained about 15 lbs pack. Today I remain on the lowest dose of levothyroxine but the meds never helped me to shed weight. They have just helped with other aspects such as the severe fatigue I used to feel every day. So grateful that my meds help me in that way. :)

But the greatest change took place many years later for me last year after joining MFP and starting to learn to run. Let me tell you...I hated to run for 37 years of my life, so it took a lot of coaxing from a friend to convince me to take a 5k running class, but I will be forever grateful to her for encouraging me to do it. It did not happen overnight, but little by little my body began to change along with my overall attitude about fitness and my health. I no longer feel like a victim of hypothyroidism. I held myself to about 1250 cals a day on mfp and ran 3 times a week. this would result in about a one pound weight loss per week...Far less than the program predicted but i didnt let that get me down. i didnt give up on me even though sometimes i would still gain a pound or two for no apparent reason. In the past year, I have dropped 41 pounds and went from a size 14/16 to a size 8/10 and I am 5'9" with a large athletic frame so that's about as small as I care to be. :) I am, for the first time in my life, at a healthy BMI and run about 10 to 15 miles a week. It has made all the difference in my life. Somehow running kicked my metabolism into a healthier place. Even though I have reached my weight loss goal I find that I must maintain a diet of around 1550 a day, but that is doable for me, and if I want to splurge, I run and gain myself 300 to 400 cals to eat that day.

This is not an easy solution or quick solution, but it works for me, and I really have given up on any magic pills, foods, or herbs that will fix my hypothyroidism. I just need to do what is best for me. :)
  • InForBacon
    InForBacon Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    If your meds are regulated and you are in the normal range, you should be on the same playing field as anyone that does not have a thyroid problem. Hard work and maintaining a calorie deficit will work. I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism when I was 13 and used to use it as an excuse about why I didn't lose weight. The truth was I just wasn't putting in the effort. Keep at it and you will get there.