Variable calorie intake

Options
Hi All
I'd be interested in people's opinions on whether eating at your calorie goal every day (including eating back exercise calories) is essential to regular steady weight loss, or if eating under some days and then over on other days, but equalling the calories across a week is just as good.
I've seen various posts about TDEE etc, however I'm in the very early days, so as not to over complicate things I'm sticking to 1200 and eating back exercise calories, however on some days I'm over my allowance and others fairly under (just dependent on what food I fancied that day, mood, exercise or lack of).
So in your opinion of my overall calories in over the week are still at a deficit does it matter if I'm over/under each day? Thanks

Replies

• kikicooks
    kikicooks Posts: 1,079 Member
    Options
    IMO as long as you stay within your goal for the week it doesn't really matter, have some low days, some high days or days all the same.
    I like to have lower days during the week to save up calories for splurging on the weekend.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    It isn't smart to go under 1200. But yes, you can average over a week.
  • purple_feet
    purple_feet Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi

Lots of people do this, and I gather it is a more "normal" way to eat anyway (ie it's what slim people do). I am currently following the 5:2 method of calorie cycling, 500 cals per day 2 days a week, and then I aim to average 1500 per day overall. This means I eat way above this on the other days.

It means I can enjoy food when eating out, etc, and don't feel deprived. I find it is more socially adaptable. I also eat my exercise calories back.

I have been losing about 1.5 lbs a week doing this. If you have a lot to lose you might want to check you are eating enough - how are you feeling?
  • Dieting_Jen23
    Dieting_Jen23 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    This is normally how my week pattern goes too. I exercise 4 times a week, so am always under on those days. I eat bigger/treat meals at the weekends, but I always make sure I don't go over my weekly target (I'm on 1350 calories a day plus exercise cals).

I'm certainly no expert, so I don't know if the science behind this is right or not, but it keeps me feeling like I'm not on a constant diet and it lets me still enjoy a social life involving food and drink.
  • Mrsshellers
    Mrsshellers Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I have just started the 5:2 diet so I am only eating 500cal 2 days a week, I have been told that as I am restricting myself on 2 days I shouldn't still be only having 1200 on the other days and that i should up it. But I am not going hungry and I am still making healthy choices. In fact I went running yesterday and didnt eat back the calories earned as I didnt need to - or I should say I didnt feel I needed to, so I think I just had over 800cals all in all yesterday.

I guess the proof will be in the pudding (so to speak!) next Wednesday when I weigh in, I am religious about this and only do it once a week no matter how tempted I am.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    I have just started the 5:2 diet so I am only eating 500cal 2 days a week, I have been told that as I am restricting myself on 2 days I shouldn't still be only having 1200 on the other days and that i should up it. But I am not going hungry and I am still making healthy choices. In fact I went running yesterday and didnt eat back the calories earned as I didnt need to - or I should say I didnt feel I needed to, so I think I just had over 800cals all in all yesterday.

I guess the proof will be in the pudding (so to speak!) next Wednesday when I weigh in, I am religious about this and only do it once a week no matter how tempted I am.

It should be normal to feel more hungry on the day after you restricted calories. If you don't then you are likely suppressing the hormone that signals hunger. Just because you don't *feel* hungry doesn't mean that is a healthy thing.
  • Mrsshellers
    Mrsshellers Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    What I mean is the calories I am eating on a non fasting day fill me up, I dont feel like I need to stuff myself silly
  • joolsweb
    joolsweb Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Many thanks all, much appreciated, I'm generally not far under 1200 on most days, its more when I exercise or just have a day when I make very filling and healthy choices.
    In response, I'm feeling good and do have quite a lot to lose, just want to start out on the right track, I'm already seeing a loss, so quite happy with the progress, so i guess its working for me! :happy:
  • NewCaddy
    NewCaddy Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    If you look up Zig Zag, you'll find lots of information on variable calories during a week.