problem with constipation

Options
I've been constipated over the past 3 months And i only go for a poo around once every 3-4 weeks if I'm lucky.. The doctor's and chemists I go to see can't seem to find anything wrong with what I'm eating which may cause the problem.. I mean On an average day I eat anywhere from 40-50g of fibre a day... all from complex carbs (brown rice,wholewheat pasta,oats) and I eat healthy fat's and plenty of vege's and meats... now I also have been taking lactulose solution twice daily and have still not been... currently taking every medication going and the strongest of stuff and my bowls still won't move.. what would you recommend?

Replies

• SlimJanette
    SlimJanette Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    I lived this for 15 years. If I went once a month I was lucky. I had every test possible done and they said I was fine. I would get to a point where I couldn't do up my pants because I was so bloated. Once I stopped eating White bread and processed food and added more protein I was ok. I always ate 2 salads a day plus lots of fruit and it never made a difference Do you eat white bread at all? I hope you can figure out what is causing this because I know the suffering you are going through.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    My brother had the same issue and ended up having adhesions in his intestines. Can't remember how they formed, but they did cause blockage and he had to have surgery to have it corrected. Problem is now is that he has to go in every few years and have the surgery done again and again.
    Hope that's not your issue, but check with a gastro doc to see.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • davidparker12
    Options
    i don't eat bread or any processed foods, I eat very clean and complex foods. my carbohydrates consist of oats/wheat pasta/brown rice/crackers/fruits/veg/cereal/milk. nothing wrong here is they?
  • callieboom
    callieboom Posts: 30
    Options
    I totally feel for you, I have a very similar problem which I have been suffering with for years. When I went to the doctor they basically told me it was a form of IBS and there was nothing that they could do. I relied on laxatives for a while, which was AWFUL, because I think my body became dependant on them and I had to ween myself off them. I definitely DO NOT recommend taking laxatives excessively (I still have to take them occasionally, but I used to be taking them every few days).

I realised there were a lot of foods I was "intolerant" to (which I did by experimenting cutting things out of my diet for periods of time, this took months of experimenting to see what I reacted to). Bread was a huge one, as was dairy and a few different vegetables here and there (frustratingly - some of which are famed for 'helping you go'). I've cut them out/cut them down and don't have as much of a problem any more which is amazing, though occasionally it gets bad again. I'd certainly recommend switching up your diet and seeing how it affects your body.

I really hope you are able to figure out a solution to your problem!