How does one really know when to stop?

Options
If you have a healthy BMI that is.

Are we not conditioned by society and images we see on TV to want to be thinner?

How many women do you know who do not want to loose another 5lb? Already super skinny and still photoshopped models look at us from every newsstand.

And once you know how to loose weight effectively and it no longer feels like too much effort, there is a temptation to go further.

How can one objectively tell what is the best weight for your health. It may not be a 19 BMI for everyone.

But I think it is hard to be objective in your own self-appraisal.

Replies

• jenf330
    jenf330 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I wish I knew! As I get closer to my goal weight a little voice in my head keeps saying "why not keep going?" At this point it's become habit for me, so it wouldn't be hard, but I'm also worried that my progress would slow to a halt and I'd get frustrated. It's so hard to say when to stop, because even though you've come so far there's still that desire to want more.
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    I don't think there's a stopping point. There's a turning point, when you change you goals from a number on a scale to improving your fitness level. When your focus is on fitness the self appraisal becomes easier. You're challenging yourself to run a faster mile, run a longer distance, lift more, etc.
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    For me it will be when my body says so. Start getting wrinkly, that's the end of the line. If I had to pick a number, I'd say not under 160 lbs. I can't afford to replace my wardrobe.
  • JSkorna
    JSkorna Posts: 22
    Options
    Your doctor should be able to give you a number based on a number of factors. Don't use one of those Height vs. Weight charts.
  • InForBacon
    InForBacon Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    Find a healthy body fat percentage, reach it, then maintain.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    My goal is lowest possible body fat with highest possible weight. I'm never stopping.
  • Marley2310
    Marley2310 Posts: 304
    Options
    a Crazy trainer told me this lol , If u look skinny and drained after a cardio workout then u need to gain weight and if u look big and chunky after a weight lifting session then u need to loose but if u look good after a combination of booth then that's ur best weight ..its weird lol
  • MzManiak
    MzManiak Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    Hm. Depends on the person, I guess. I'm not at my "goal" weight yet.... but I'm switching to maintenance now because I want to build muscle mass. I don't think it's healthy to just want to keep losing weight forever... if you find yourself wanting to be at an unhealthy bmi just because you want to be even skinnier, I think it's time to seek help. Honestly, not trying to be sarcastic.
  • lesspaul
    lesspaul Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    A very good question. I wouldn't put 100% confidence in what a doctor had to say. They can't tell you what weight is best for you as an individual. They can only tell you what is best for the statistically average person to live the longest life. The quality of life measure is very subjective, and only you can determine that for yourself.

The best weight for your lifestyle may differ from the average. And remember too that weight loss isn't really the goal. The goal is fat loss. The guide your doctor probably uses, BMI, is based on statistical averages, your actual percentage fat might we way off from your BMI. A healthy BMI does not guarantee a healthy body composition.

My perspective is that I want to get to the point where my strength and fitness allow me to do the things I love without laying in bed stiff and sore the next day. That goal accomplished, I want to get my body fat percentage in the middle of the "FItness" range as defined by the American Council on Exercise. I base this on my goals. I will never be an athlete, but I wish to be fitter than "Average." Your goals are likely different.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Body_fat_percentage
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I think the larger issue is that far too many people focus on an arbitrary goal weight rather than a definitive BF% and body composition. People get to said arbitrary goal weight, but they've lost a lot of muscle along with the fat, etc and don't have the body comp they're really looking for. Instead of addressing the actual issue, they reset they weight loss goals even lower thinking that'll do the trick...when in reality, they just need to eat and do some resistance training and get some cardio in for heart health. They may actually weigh more on the scale in the end, but they're going to look a **** load better long term. Sadly, many simply lack the patience for body composition work...it takes a loooonnnngggg time. People want **** in 90 days or less, and it aint happenin'