Warning: Question for women!

Options
mandeenicoleb
mandeenicoleb Posts: 479 Member
***Not really a Q actually but too late to change :/ (edit)

So, maybe I just need to talk about it! I am on "the pill" and I usually take it in the morning. I stayed at my boyfriend's last night and left for work early in the morning. It's a good hour and a half away. Tonight I am going to the Yankee game with my best friend, but uh oh, I left my pill at his house. I won't be back there until at least midnight.

Usually this wouldn't be such a big deal. However, being that I'm on my last two pills taking it that late could trigger my TOM to come early. Again, shouldn't be that big of a deal BUT tomorrow we are going to one of those Romantic suites in the Poconos all decked out with Jacuzzi, pool, sauna, maybe you see my problem?

I've tried ordering a new pack asap at the nearest pharmacy to just "borrow" the one pill from that pack.

I'm just frustrated because I tried to do everything right with the pill and be timely this month for this reason. I really shouldn't be getting it until Monday/Tuesday.

Any other women ever had that damn TOM come during a planned out Romantic getaway?

Replies

• MzManiak
    MzManiak Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    Ok, maybe this is bad advice.... but honestly, if you can get the extra pack today, I'd take the last 2 pills in your old pack when you got to your boyfriends and then start the new pack tomorrow. I've often skipped the week off and I've often taken 2 at a time. It won't hurt, and you shouldn't get your TOM.

Edited to add: Yes, I've been due for my period during a time when something was planned. That's why I started skipping the period week and starting a new pack instead. My doctor said there isn't a medical reason women need to have a period when they are on the pill. It is just an artificial one anyway since you aren't producing eggs. Up to you though, and what you feel comfortable with!
  • prettynikkish
    prettynikkish Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    The pill is a tricky thing, its best to take it how it was specified on the label. If you cant take it you might just have to use a back up birth-control method. Sometimes you can miss a pill and still be ok but why risk it.
  • justicer68
    justicer68 Posts: 1,223
    Options
    Ok, maybe this is bad advice.... but honestly, if you can get the extra pack today, I'd take the last 2 pills in your old pack when you got to your boyfriends and then start the new pack tomorrow. I've often skipped the week off and I've often taken 2 at a time. It won't hurt, and it you shouldn't get your TOM.

I've done this before so I wouldn't have a cycle per the doc's instruction. It works and it won't hurt anything. It should make you skip a cycle. I did it for a couple of months.
  • kju52
    kju52 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    yeah, it might come early. something similar happened to me once. i went to the emergency service LOL
  • BoomstickChick
    BoomstickChick Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I'd be more worried about you know, getting pregnant than my vacation...
  • tolygal
    tolygal Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    Ya, that's how I got pregnant (missed a pill)..... I didn't think it would hurt anything and I could "catch back up." Um - no such luck.... Better use some protection for about a month or so (unless you're lucky).
  • nashai01
    nashai01 Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    This is horrible advice, but I had a trip that fell right when my TOM was coming. I just started on a new pack for the time I was on the trip and it stopped it from coming
  • ScouseNerd
    ScouseNerd Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Ok, maybe this is bad advice.... but honestly, if you can get the extra pack today, I'd take the last 2 pills in your old pack when you got to your boyfriends and then start the new pack tomorrow. I've often skipped the week off and I've often taken 2 at a time. It won't hurt, and you shouldn't get your TOM.

Edited to add: Yes, I've been due for my period during a time when something was planned. That's why I started skipping the period week and starting a new pack instead. My doctor said there isn't a medical reason women need to have a period when they are on the pill. It is just an artificial one anyway since you aren't producing eggs. Up to you though, and what you feel comfortable with!

^^^ Ditto. I've been skipping periods for years now with no evident problems. It's becoming a common thing now, especially with the introduction of pills that are designed for this (which are flawed anyway). This system would work well if you could do it!
  • SDkitty
    SDkitty Posts: 446 Member
    Options

Haha, that's what I was thinking :wink:

I only just switched to the pill a few months ago, I took depo for years and years, and I never heard of just skipping the off week before, you can do that?
  • mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    Absolutely no need to have a TOM - as others have said finish your current pack and start the ne pack. I've done this before vacations - you might feel slightly bloated from water retention for a few days but that's bearable, right? Because you'd probably be feeling that anyway.:wink:
  • ClareWantsProgress
    ClareWantsProgress Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Slightly off topic, but as I am in perimenopause my doc has me taking my bc pills continuously. (I was getting horrific migraines while on the "dummy" pills every month.) Therefore, I haven't had a period in over a year, just a tiny bit of spotting here and there. Ask your doctor for advice, but you can definitely start one pack right after the last - I've been doing it under doctor's orders since November 2011!

And use a back-up plan like the others are suggesting, for sure!!! I had a tubal 18 years ago, so my pill use is not for birth control.
  • melinda200208
    melinda200208 Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    I've been in that position in the past. What I did was start the next month pills so I wouldn't get my period. (as others have said) I guess I wouldn't do this often though because I believe you DO need to get your period. It's part of the natural process. But, every now and then can't hurt. Hope you enjoy your weekend!
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

Haha, that's what I was thinking :wink:

I only just switched to the pill a few months ago, I took depo for years and years, and I never heard of just skipping the off week before, you can do that?

I wouldn't do it on the regular without checking with the doctor first (there are pills you can take so you get your period on e every four months, not sure how different they are), but I have also gone right to my next pack on occasion. (No way in hell I was going on a honeymoon cruise with Aunt Flo).
  • cressievargo
    cressievargo Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    I've been in that position in the past. What I did was start the next month pills so I wouldn't get my period. (as others have said) I guess I wouldn't do this often though because I believe you DO need to get your period. It's part of the natural process. But, every now and then can't hurt. Hope you enjoy your weekend!

You don't need to get your period. Depo stops periods in many women ...and well, I have 3 kids - so 30 months of pregnancy...and no periods from THAT...so no, you dont' NEED to get your period.
  • chrstndwlkr
    Options
    Just make sure that if you skip your TOM and go directly into the new pack it will not affect picking up the next pack. If you are purchasing the pill through insurance you can typically only get a pack within about 30 days, sometimes a bit earlier. Skipping will cause you to need your new pack a week earlier, which could affect the next pack. It is best to call your insurance company to verify beforehand. Sometimes if you tell them your going on vacation they will allow you to get a pack early. If this isn't going through insurance, then it shouldn't be an issue.
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    You are actually going to the Rays game in Yankee stadium.
  • frood
    frood Posts: 295 Member
    Options

^^^ Ditto. I've been skipping periods for years now with no evident problems. It's becoming a common thing now, especially with the introduction of pills that are designed for this (which are flawed anyway). This system would work well if you could do it!
    Both of these^^^. And I used to take Seasonique, which was *designed* as 13 week cycles rather than 4 weeks.
  • mandeenicoleb
    Options
    I've heard of starting a new pack and skipping the period. I guess I'll figure out what to do later.

About the pregnant thing...unfortunately without getting too much into details, it's going to be more of a problem for us actually conceiving one day when that time comes :(

We want a child one day, in a few years when we are married BUT we may have to adopt, which is fine.

Either way I take the pill to control my TOM. I get cramps so bad that I literally can't move. The pill makes everything better :)
  • MzManiak
    MzManiak Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    Also, just want to add, I keep my pills in my purse and have an alarm set on my phone so when it goes off, I can take them no matter where I am. Don't know if that would work for you, but it's an idea.
  • mandeenicoleb
    Options
    Also, just want to add, I keep my pills in my purse and have an alarm set on my phone so when it goes off, I can take them no matter where I am. Don't know if that would work for you, but it's an idea.

Yeah, I usually have it everywhere too! This is the ONE day I left my bag at his house lol. Just because I didn't want my huge bag with me for the stadium. I have to be a little more careful next time. I used to use an alarm. I should start that again from around the time I wake up so even when I leave the house, I'm good.