PILATES BURNS HOW MANY CALORIES!?

Options
My gym's webpage posts how many calories each class burns, but for some reason it doesn't say anything for pilates. This is probably because it's not really meant for "burning calories" but more for balance, toning, strength etc..but I know that it does burn some! There's also this class called body balance which is a mixture of yoga, pilates, and tai chi, which it says burns 390 calories after 60 minutes? Wouldn't pilates be similar then?

So based on experience, or just an assumption - how much do you think 60 minutes of pilates will burn? I don't really trust all the calculations on MFP :s

Replies

• vendygirl
    vendygirl Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    What a website says is just an average. Get a HRM and see what you burn. Even that isn't totally accurate but at least it is set to your body. Person A and Person B are not going to burn the same amount of calories so what ever the website or MFP says is just an average. Polar makes a decent priced Heart Rate Monitor.
  • Marley2310
    Marley2310 Posts: 304
    Options
    250 is the minimum/hour
  • mummum2
    mummum2 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Hi I burn around 217/230 for a 45 mins class! yes I do sweat a lot in this class. Good luck!
  • lik_11
    lik_11 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    For me- with a HRM, I burn about 200-260 kcals per hour of Pilates. With Zumba, I burn about 550-600.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,579 Member
    Options
    Probably no more than 250 calories.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • harphy
    harphy Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    http://voices.yahoo.com/how-many-calories-burn-doing-pilates-7528136.html

These calculations are quite optimistic, count less. Around 300 cal's per hour.
  • singlefemalelawyer
    singlefemalelawyer Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    MFP says I burn about 250 calories for an hour of Pilates. I often work on the reformer and it seem about right to me - I sweat during the class and feel the burn for sure. As long as you feel your muscles working and focus on form you'll get a nice workout. Do I always burn that much, probably not. Sometimes more, sometimes less. Which is why I don't eat back all of my exercise calories to offset these estimates.
  • kju52
    kju52 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    depends on your body.. your height, your weight, your bf% your muscle %, your metabolism, your heart.........etc etc etc
  • SuffolkSally
    SuffolkSally Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    There's an entry on the MFP database under cardio for "Pilates class". I have a good HRM and I've checked with it, and for me the MFP figure is roughly accurate, so I use that. It's about 230/250 calories for a 60 minute class (after I've deducted my BMR). So your gym's estimate probably isn't way off but you might want to err on the side of caution.
  • byHISstrength
    byHISstrength Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    Per my HRM, for a 60 min Pilates class, I burn about 320 calories.