Any other social workers out there?

Options
Hey there! So I'm a social worker (I do supervised visits, home based casework, etc.) and I'm finding it REALLY hard to eat right and to get enough exercise in. It seems like all I have time to eat is fast food!! I also have to sit (driving, sitting and watching the parents with their kids) pretty much all day long. I'm thinking I'm just going to start packing a lunch to take with me, but I'm having trouble finding enough low calorie, filling lunch items to keep me satisfied throughout the day. Soooooo...any other social workers out there having the same issues? Or having any success?? :)

Replies

• Soooooo...I guess not then?
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    I think a lot of people have these issues, especially those in sales, people who make deliveries, etc. Try making some stuff like quinoa salad, a nice turkey sandwich, or just choose the more healthful items on the fast food menus. I mean, a grilled chicken sandwich without fries is usually a good bet, as are some of the salads if you don't overdo it on dressing. Protein bars are kinda like filling junk food, but they have their place - I actually love Kind bars which are mostly just fruit and nuts. Jerky is good too.
  • kristenegeorge
    kristenegeorge Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    While I'm not a social worker, I deal with the same sort of thing. What I find that works for me is we have a supermarket nearby that carries prepackaged foods that they make daily. When it's around lunch time and I'm passing by, I'll stop in and grab a container of their salmon rolls which will fill me up and keep me satisfied until I have the opportunity to grab some apples or such.
    I know we're both different people, and most likely enjoy different foods, but figured I could help with ideas.
  • SACasto
    SACasto Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I am not a social worker, but I usually pack a lunch each day and find that the following foods tend to work great for me:

-Lunch meat
    -Cheese
    -Pop chips
    -Hardboiled eggs
    -Fruit
  • swangwcb
    swangwcb Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm a social worker too. I think with the work we do, it's imperative that we carve out time to take care of ourselves (I've learned that over the years I'm much better at what I do now that I take better care of myself and get regular exercise and good sleep). I currently get in about an hour of exercise 5-6 days per week...that includes weight lifting and cardio. Right now I get up really early and do it in the morning, but I've done it during lunch hour and after work too, whatever works with my schedule, I prioritize it. As for on the go food--you can't go wrong with protein shakes, nuts and fruit, some protein bars (careful they tend to have lots of sugar). even sandwhiches with a lean protein, even a pbj sammy once in a while. It just takes planning and again, it's about prioritizing yourself, and your health. And I also think that losing weight and getting healthy can be an emotional process. So especially with the work we do, I think checking in with a counselor once in awhile is good too. This work can wear on us, and we can get stuck without even knowing it! Good luck!
  • InForBacon
    InForBacon Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    Sounds the same as any office job really. Other than not having access to a refrigerator/microwave. Just pack a lunch in a small cooler. Exercise before or after work. I used to get up at 4am to work out because I worked full-time and was in school full-time and I have 2 small children that I am raising on my own as well. It's all about making it a priority and you will find a way to make it happen. P.S. I used to have a job just like yours. It is possible.
  • stealthSLOTH
    stealthSLOTH Posts: 695 Member
    Options
    No a social worker, but sounds like a good idea to pack your lunch.
    To increase your options, maybe you can carry a small insulated bag or put an ice chest in the trunk of your car, if you travel by car to see your clients.

Good luck! :flowerforyou: :smile:
  • toya316
    toya316 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    While I worked in a similar field (Case Manager with At-Risk Youth). I too traveled a lot and did pretty much the same thing you have described. Pre-Planning and Pre- Packing is the best method.. Although it may be hard to do so as you may feel as if you work around the clock.. But you must find some time to do it. And during your ONE DAY OFF... WORK OUT..