Do fat burner supplements REALLY work???

Options
2»

Replies

• Aerosam
    Aerosam Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Ok, thanks to all who have contibuted. There are a lot of verying and strong opinions out there on this subject.

So if I can possibly sum up...

"Fat burners" dont actually burn fat on their own, but do ther things like increase heart rate, blood flow etc that make you feel more alert and energised therefore you might feel like working harder at the gym, going running, whatever your workout is; and therefore burn more calories? Am I on the right lines here?

There are risks involved with taking them in high doses, but I'm guessing if you go for a reputable brand from a reputable stockist and take them in accordance with the directions, they should be ok in moderation, and not over extended periods.

I guess if a stimulant is legal and reasonably safe, and helps me work harder and achieve more, then that cant be such a bad thing. If it's worth the money, and the potential health risks, I'm still undecided.

If the main ingredient is caffiene, maybe I'll just have a double esspresso before I work out.

Once again thanks for all the contributions.

All the best MFP-ers

Sam.
  • tonytoo
    tonytoo Posts: 307
    Options
    Summed up pretty well.
  • toddx318
    toddx318 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Well summed up - Sam.

I understand the "heart" behind the people who merely say "NO", but in reality their answer is wrong.

They say "NO", because some people treat fat burners (endothermics) like they are magic diet pills, which they are NOT. They are supplements, by true definition of the word....they are made to supplement your hard work.

They will help to raise your metabolism slightly (3-5%), but they are absolutely not a magic pill, not an excuse not to exercise, and not an excuse to eat worse.....

...but they are an ok supplement if taken in conjunction with exercise and good nutrition.