What to look for in a new gym...

Options
logdunne
logdunne Posts: 132 Member
Hello,
I emailed a local gym yesterday to enquire about visiting to have a trial run to see if I wanted to join before I open my wallet. They called today and the trial and a chat with one of their instructors is booked for Monday afternoon.
I was just wondering what you seasoned gym-goers thought I should look out for?
I looked at a gym earlier in the year and they didn't even have any free weights!

Replies

• bidwell69
    bidwell69 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Dumbbells up to at least 40kg
    Kettlebells
    Squat rack
    Smith Machine
    A few Barbells and racks
    Half a dozen benches
    Good selection of cable machines (preferably having a cable crossover and assisted pull up-dip machine)
    at least 3-4 of each cardio station
    A decent sized area for floor work and plyometrics
    Thats pretty much everything you should find in a small to medium sized gym.
  • Joreanasaurous
    Joreanasaurous Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    Dumbbells up to at least 40kg
    Kettlebells
    Squat rack
    Smith Machine
    A few Barbells and racks
    Half a dozen benches
    Good selection of cable machines (preferably having a cable crossover and assisted pull up-dip machine)
    at least 3-4 of each cardio station
    A decent sized area for floor work and plyometrics
    Thats pretty much everything you should find in a small to medium sized gym.

I could give or take a few of those, but would add look around the gym. Is it clean? Are weights left around everywhere or are people reracking them? I don't go to the gym to make friends, but I would still prefer to go to one where people are respectful.
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
    A decent pull-up bar.
  • trisH_7183
    trisH_7183 Posts: 1,486 Member
    Options
    Do they have private dressing rooms? Is the facility clean? Do they have classes? Do they cost extra? Is there a price discount if you pay for 3/6/12 months up front? Hope you like it.
  • mandeenicoleb
    mandeenicoleb Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    Free wights are def a must for me!

My biggest issue (and why I left me $100 a month gym which felt like a rip-off) is the crowd. My gym relocated, jacked the price, and adopted some of the snobby staff from the spa that was previously there.

Either way, my gym was soooo spacey and had a boxing ring, a huge classroom where you could play basket ball when there is no class, etc. So they moved to a cramped place and got more members. I'd never seen a gym so crowded in my life. My friend and I would go to the gym and literally after 1/2 and hour of walking around we'd always have to leave. No weights, no room in the classes, no machines whatsoever.

My suggestion: Ask about the crowd. Ask about how it is during peak hours and what that club's peak hours are.

Get a feel for the staff, are they friendly?

Take a look around and see how the machines are, are a lot "out of order'?

Are the personal trainers too pushy? There are gyms where they are constantly trying to make you get personal training sessions to a very annoying degree.
  • JamieM8168
    JamieM8168 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Classes, childcare (if applicable), friendly/helpful employees, cleanliness, prices, payment plans, general atmosphere..

I'd also go check out your gyms at a peak time or a time you'd usually work out to see how busy it is then. You don't want to sign up then realize you have to wait in line to get on equipment once you go
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,618 Member
    Options
    Biggest issue IMO..................how crowded it is. We had people leave our facility in favor of a new 24 Hour Fitness Super Sport. Left because of the lower price, but quite a few have returned for the one main reason......................they had to wait for an average of 20 minutes for machines, weights, and lockers. Not good when you only have an hour to work out.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • toughmudderMN
    toughmudderMN Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    1)I would say it is important to consider the equipment to people ratio. I have had different experiences with different sized gyms. I have been to larger ones that have had multiple pieces of various equipment, but I could never use any when I would go to work out because it was packed. Conversely I have used smaller ones that I had no issue with.

It would be best to go to the gym when you intend to use it during the day/week to see what its like. Of course I prefer to have my space when I work out... its my me time

2) Cleanliness!!! Is it clean and are the supplies stocked i.e. paper towels, sweat cleaner spray/ wipes, toilet paper, soap
    3) Is the staff willing to teach you proper technique for free- you don't want to start your gym experience off with an injury.

Other than that I would look for
    -wide selection of machines,
    - free weights
    -squat rack
    -a few benches
    -Cardio equipment
    -Area for stretches and 'floor' stuff
  • RivenV
    RivenV Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    The folks above have mentioned some really good stuff to look out for: wide range of free weights/equipment/space that will suit your needs, cleanliness, knowledgeable instructors, etc. One thing I'm a real stickler for are the locker room facilities. I often go to the gym with a duffel bag because I'm either going to 1) go to work after I workout, or 2) go workout after work. I prefer to shower as soon as I can after I workout, and I'll probably be spending about half an hour (on average) in the locker room after the workout just getting cleaned up. Again, that's one of my priorities; I understand it's not a concern for everyone.
    Additionally, I'd probably want to know when it's busy and when it's not. If it's going to be really busy during the time(s) I'd like to workout, I might consider looking elsewhere for a place whose peak hours aren't also my preferred hours.
  • davideickelmann
    davideickelmann Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Hello,
    I emailed a local gym yesterday to enquire about visiting to have a trial run to see if I wanted to join before I open my wallet. They called today and the trial and a chat with one of their instructors is booked for Monday afternoon.
    I was just wondering what you seasoned gym-goers thought I should look out for?
    I looked at a gym earlier in the year and they didn't even have any free weights!

First, I hope that you're doing the walk through during the time of day you intend to workout.

Second, I would look at these factors:

-Lockerroom: Do you need to shower there? Does the locker room look clean? How comfortable do you feel in there? Do the members just go in, quickly change and leave, or is there conversation? Are you comfortable with that?
    -Equipment: First, do they have the equipment you need? Do they have enough of it? If you're going to be doing a lot of Olympic-style lifting, you might want bumper plates, do they have those? Second, is the equipment in good repair?
    -Rules: Does the gym have any rules that you can't work around? I could never work out in a gym where deadlifting was not allowed, or where I would be flogged if I make noise. This is important.
    -Members: You're going to be around these people a lot, is this a place you want to be? My current gym is a military gym (I'm a Navy "wife"), but my previous one was a commercial fitness studio in Germany. I loved it, because there were all of 3 other serious lifters there, so there was never a wait for a bench or squatrack, in spite of the place having a TOTAL of 4 barbells.
    -Proximity: Is the gym close to your home or work? Having to commute to the gym is a hidden cost, and it requires additional effort on your part to consistently go. Try to make things as easy on yourself as possible.
    -Childcare: This is obviously only relevant if you have young children.
  • spfldpam
    spfldpam Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    I am recently looking to join a different gym that also has a pool for swimming and aqua classes. I went last Fri to check it out and got a tour and a pass for a week for free. I went on Monday at the usual time I would go to see how crowded it was and if I had to wait for machines. I also asked people how long they were members and what they thought of the gym. On Tuesday I went to a diff. location across town due to a aqua cardio class they were doing and did the same thing. Ask members there in the class about it. I was in both locker rooms and did ask staff at both locations questions to see how friendly and helpful they were. I currently go to Planet Fitness for $10 a month since Jan of this year but want a gym now that offers classes and the pool. It is more expensive $43 a month and a join fee and contract but now that I know I am committed to working out 2-3 times a week or more I have no problem paying more and signing a year contract. I had never went to gym in my life till Jan of this year so for the time being Planet Fitness fullfilled my needs but at this point I want more than just cardio and weight machines. I need some classes to keep me motivated and have fun with group of people too.
    Good luck!
  • BEERRUNNER
    BEERRUNNER Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    Free pizza!!!
  • elisabeisme
    elisabeisme Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Biggest issue IMO..................how crowded it is. We had people leave our facility in favor of a new 24 Hour Fitness Super Sport. Left because of the lower price, but quite a few have returned for the one main reason......................they had to wait for an average of 20 minutes for machines, weights, and lockers.

^This!

Make sure you stop by multiple different times during your trial week to see how crowded it is during different times of the day.

I recently moved and my new gym (NYSC) is open shorter hours. Plus, it gets crowded at times I want to work out, such as Sunday night right before closing. Many classes, like Zumba, are overbooked. I find all this EXTREMELY annoying. In fact, I would pay double or even triple for a higher quality gym with better hours. (I used to happily pay 90 bucks a month at NYHRC). Unfortunately, my new neighborhood doesn't have that many upscale options and I know I won't go if it is not in walking distance.

Note to fitness industry - Harlem needs some upscale gyms and not just lower end gym brands!
  • logdunne
    logdunne Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your pointers :-)

I am going for a trial session there this evening! Hopefully it ticks the boxes and I will be running marathons and benching my bodyweight in no time ;-)