Heavy Lifting or Kettlebells? Which is "better?"

Options
I've been a conscious lifter for a while now but someone recommended I use kettlebells to see the results I want...So, which is better? I like lifting, but I haven't seen my results yet. However, I know it takes a while, too.

Replies

• ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    Both. I use both. Kettlebells are great for assistance lifts and HIIT.
  • kassiebby1124
    kassiebby1124 Posts: 927 Member
    Options
    Both. I use both. Kettlebells are great for assistance lifts and HIIT.
    I've never used kettlebells so I have no clue where I should start. I guess I could use them on my non lifting days, but I'm not sure where to begin..
  • toddx318
    toddx318 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Kettlebells CAN be considered heavy lifting, depending on how you use them. Plenty of KB exercises out there that would qualify as heavy lifting.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    I use them for some assistance work (Bulgarian split squats, for example) on my lifting days, and I use them in a complex or interval training format (swings, snatches, C&P, etc.) at the end of my lifting sessions. I suppose you could do the HIIT on non-lifting days if you wanted.

Sometimes I'll do a complex of hand-to-hand swings, snatches, C&P, and reverse lunges. 10 reps of each and then wait for my HR to recover to about 75% of max, and then start another round. Or I'll do straight intervals with snatches or swings, say 30 seconds work, 30 seconds rest for a heavier weight or 40/20 for lighter and do 5 to 10 minutes of that.

But you need to learn proper form, especially for swings. It's a posterior chain movement than can really screw up your back if you don't know how to do it properly. See if you can find a certified kettlebell instructor in your area and at least do one session to learn form. There are also good channels on YouTube. Neghar Fonooni and Marianne Kane are two of my favorites.
  • kassiebby1124
    Options
    I use them for some assistance work (Bulgarian split squats, for example) on my lifting days, and I use them in a complex or interval training format (swings, snatches, C&P, etc.) at the end of my lifting sessions. I suppose you could do the HIIT on non-lifting days if you wanted.

Sometimes I'll do a complex of hand-to-hand swings, snatches, C&P, and reverse lunges. 10 reps of each and then wait for my HR to recover to about 75% of max, and then start another round. Or I'll do straight intervals with snatches or swings, say 30 seconds work, 30 seconds rest for a heavier weight or 40/20 for lighter and do 5 to 10 minutes of that.

But you need to learn proper form, especially for swings. It's a posterior chain movement than can really screw up your back if you don't know how to do it properly. See if you can find a certified kettlebell instructor in your area and at least do one session to learn form. There are also good channels on YouTube. Neghar Fonooni and Marianne Kane are two of my favorites.
    Thank you :D
  • davideickelmann
    davideickelmann Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I've been a conscious lifter for a while now but someone recommended I use kettlebells to see the results I want...So, which is better? I like lifting, but I haven't seen my results yet. However, I know it takes a while, too.

For all intents and purposes, a kettlebell is a dumbbell with a particular shape. If it weighs enough, it will be challenging(read that as heavy) to you from a resistance standpoint, otherwise it won't be.

I have never used one. I don't intend to ever use one. If they feel comfortable to you, use them. I'm not a big fan of "swinging" things for exercise, but to each his (or her) own.

I'd recommend sticking with barbells if your goal is to do overhead lifts. You're going to have a hard time finding a 100+ lbs kettlebell.
  • kassiebby1124
    Options

For all intents and purposes, a kettlebell is a dumbbell with a particular shape. If it weighs enough, it will be challenging(read that as heavy) to you from a resistance standpoint, otherwise it won't be.

I have never used one. I don't intend to ever use one. If they feel comfortable to you, use them. I'm not a big fan of "swinging" things for exercise, but to each his (or her) own.

I'd recommend sticking with barbells if your goal is to do overhead lifts. You're going to have a hard time finding a 100+ lbs kettlebell.
    I've never used one either, but someone on here said it was one of the "Best ways" to get rid of back fat w/a deficit. Or to see results quickly. I don't know whether that's true or not, obviously.
  • redhead1910
    redhead1910 Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I find the barbell easier to use just because it's easier for me to use proper form and therefore I can lift heavier weights. Plus I believe in "the big 4" muscle exercises and all of them can be done with a barbell, so I don't even bother with kettlebells. My gym doesn't have them and I don't feel like spending money on them.
  • litatura
    litatura Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Kettlebell exercises can also combine cardio and strength training in one (kettlebell swings, etc.) so you can get more bang for your buck in that aspect.
  • SteveJWatson
    SteveJWatson Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    As others have said, they are just a different shaped dumbell really.

I find them nice to use for goblet squats, not a big fan of swinging things either...just seems to lack control.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options

I've never used one either, but someone on here said it was one of the "Best ways" to get rid of back fat w/a deficit. Or to see results quickly. I don't know whether that's true or not, obviously.

Swinging a kettlebell is not really weight lifting. It's more a form of cardio that can be done at different intensities that maybe includes some core stability training.

Other than that, a kettlebell, as others have said, is just a chunk of metal that provides resistance. I like using them for some lifts and some compound movements but it's just because I find them easier to hold -- and because we have a bunch of them laying around to use.
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    Youtube has a lot of good videos. Kettlebells help especially with your core and supporting muscles that you may not necessarily be initiating with your lifts. Similar to sandbag workouts, it can help you target those supporting muscles that often get ignored.

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2012/07/19/sandbag-workout/

I almost think this would be better than kettlebells, but they are fun, too. Not a replacement for a compound lifting routine, but definitely a good supporting workout.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    It depends on your goals because they are going to serve completely different functions. "Lifting Heavy" is generally synonymous with a strength program...a strength program generally consists of big, heavy compound lifts that really need to be done with a barbell in the 3-5 rep range where you're almost to fail on the last rep.

I use kettle bells in some of my assistance work as well as some of my cardio stuff like Russian Kettle Bell swings and farmer's carries.