Plantar Fasciitis

Options
Anyone out there dealing with Plantar Facitis? Its been two weeks now. I have been a couch potato for a week now. yesterday went for a deep tissue massage...Ouch! I dance aerobically for 2 hours each day, I finally found something I love to do. I could probably get thru the pain, but I dont want to make it worse. Just wondering if anyone out there experienced it leaving as fast as it came?

Replies

• corys8646
    corys8646 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain. Dealt with PF last year while running. If you continue to work through the pain, it will just get worse. I had to take about 4 weeks off and did some deep tissue work to break it up..It was not quick to go away.

My wife also had it worse than me this past year, she ended up having a cortisone shot and that took care of it right away (that was after doing months of PT).

Good Luck!
  • klwells08
    klwells08 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I've dealt with it for a long time now. Working through the pain will only make it worse in the long run. I've had multiple cortisone shots and finally orthotics. For me, the orthotics are what finally made it managable. I've had them about a year now and I still rarely go without good supportive shoes. My advice, stretch, stretch, strech. Also, if you have to be up and moving, tape your arch. There are a number of youtube videos on streching and taping for PF.

Good luck and don't put off dealing with it like I did. If it doesn't heal up pretty quick get thee to a podiatrist.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I would suggest find a good physical therapist or sports doc or orthopedist. My gym buddy has been dealing with horrid PF for over a year, tried several forms of self therapy (ice, ultrasound, boot, stretching, etc) then finally went to a PT. The PT did some therapy as wel as teaching her how to stretch properly. She is now finally getting back into running (slowly and carefully) and so far so good!

We've figured out that she must continue with her stretching as it makes a huge difference. We ran Wednesday and forgot to stop and stretch after our 16 minute run and she had a bit of pain that night. Today we ran 20 minutes and made sure to stop and stretch so hopefully that will make a difference.

ETA: Everyone's different though. When I was much heavier, I had PF but it went away with better shoes (Therasandals) and losing weight.
  • djwife03
    djwife03 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I have this as well! I wear orthotics also. I use KT tape when I workout. You can find it anywhere....Walmart, Meijer, drug stores. It will also tell you how to apply to support your arches. My issue is that I also have a bone spur, that rubs on that plantar fasica....keeping it inflammed. I did PT, and was fine for a while, but then it flared again. I haven't ran since October 2012! I may be facing surgery to at least remove the spur. I have very high arches which doesn't help be either. I may need a plantar release surgery to release the tendon and lower the arch a little. 6 weeks recover time though, and I just can't imagine not being able to exercise for that long! Course, I know I have to do something! And, taking care of the problem, and healing is more important than my vanity! will probably have something done in the fall.
  • Usa9872001
    Usa9872001 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I am a runner and dealt with it for 9 months last year. Did the taping, frozen water bottles, streching, oral steriods, night boot and cortisone injections. I finally read an article that talked about strengthening your foot with the use of minimalist shoes or walking around barefoot. I was very hesitant because after an hour in flip flops my feet were killing me! So I started slowly...and everyday increased the amount of time I was barefoot or wore minimalist shoes. I also massaged the he!! out of my feet and calves every day. Gradually the pain went away. I have been painfree for almost a year and I successfully trained for and ran two half-marathons and am currently training for my first sprint tri. Hang in there. I will never forget how miserable I felt and how I just wanted to cut off my own foot!!!
  • zilfig64
    zilfig64 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Dealt with PF for over 10 years off and on. Got so bad that I had to stop playing baskeball, and doing anything more than walking 1/2 mile was so painful. Went to a podiattrist, tried stretching, orthodics, icing, rolling heel on a golf ball, etc. Finally went to a foot/ankle orthopedist who reccomended a gastroc-slide surgery - basically he surgically lengthened 2 of the muscles in my calves - to decrease the pressure on the achilles and plantar fascia. I had one leg done, and had immediate 100% relief from the pain. Worked so great, had the other leg done 10 months later. 4 weeks in a boot, then stretching and self-massage. Now able to play bball, jog, work-out, zero pain. Definately not for everyone, but if it is a long-term thing, sefinatley something to check out.
  • msjersey73
    msjersey73 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    i have it, and heel spurs, fallen arches too.
    I also have custom orthodics
    they are painful, dont help, and a waste of money!
    Good Luck with what ever you choose to do. here is what i am doing:
    Vibrams barefoot shoes, and exercises for feet:

i took off my shoes, and said the hel with it all. i needed to strengthen the over 100 muscles in my feet, and then i will be okay!!
    here is some of what i do:
    copied from Mark's daily apple website

A Few Simple Exercises to Strengthen Your Feet

Do toe spreads. Sit, stand, or lie down and fan your toes out as widely as possible. Create space between each toe. Hold this position for ten seconds, and repeat the exercise ten times daily per foot.

Point at things with your toes. Pick something, anything, in the room and point your toes at it. Now flex your foot. Hold it for five seconds, then release. Again, do this ten times per foot each day. For extra work, try tracing the alphabet with your feet in midair each day.

Get on your toes. Stand on your tippy-toes and just walk around for five minutes each day. Never let your heels touch the ground for the duration. Barefoot toe treadmill work is a worthy alternative.

Try side walking. Stand up (barefoot, of course) and get in a shoulder wide stance. Bend your knees slightly and roll onto the outer edges of your feet. Keep the weight on your outer feet and slowly raise up on your toes. You should feel your longitudinal arch stretching; once you do, hold that position for five seconds. Repeat five times each day.

Walk in sand. Sand is never the same. If you kick off your shoes and hit the grains (yeah, I just coined that phrase: “hit the grains”), you will be catapulting your virgin bare feet into a chaotic, ever-changing environment that will force them to adapt. Hyperbole aside, walking barefoot in the sand is a highly effective way to strengthen your feet.

Read more: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/flat-feet-treatment/#ixzz2XT1pwMNx
  • msjersey73
    Options
    also, i bought a lacrosse ball for $2.99 and i use it to stand on, and roll my foot around in it. it helps stretch out the plantar fasia band. this is probably the most important thing you need to do.
  • msjersey73
    Options
    I am a runner and dealt with it for 9 months last year. Did the taping, frozen water bottles, streching, oral steriods, night boot and cortisone injections. I finally read an article that talked about strengthening your foot with the use of minimalist shoes or walking around barefoot. I was very hesitant because after an hour in flip flops my feet were killing me! So I started slowly...and everyday increased the amount of time I was barefoot or wore minimalist shoes. I also massaged the he!! out of my feet and calves every day. Gradually the pain went away. I have been painfree for almost a year and I successfully trained for and ran two half-marathons and am currently training for my first sprint tri. Hang in there. I will never forget how miserable I felt and how I just wanted to cut off my own foot!!!

these barefoot shoes are awesome!!!!!
  • mumtoonegirl
    mumtoonegirl Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    I had it for 3 years straight. It was horrible. Hugs!
  • BrownEyeAngel
    BrownEyeAngel Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain! My right foot bothered me some today. Freeze a water bottle and once it is frozen roll your foot back and forth for about 20 minutes 2-4 a day. It was for me. Add some stretching exercises to it as well.
  • sunnybear39
    sunnybear39 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    bump
  • just_Jennie1
    just_Jennie1 Posts: 1,233
    Options
    Find yourself a good foot doctor, preferably one who deals with sports injuries.

My husband had it bad several years ago. He had to do the cortisone shots, had to get anti-inflamatories (and believe me, he is NOT a pill taker so for him to actually take those meant it was BAD) and got the custom orthodics. It took him over a year to recover.
  • MaryRegs
    MaryRegs Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Mine got really bad in March of this year. I ordered a velcro arch wrap, orthotic insoles and padded arch supports from Footsmart. I used the wrap consistently, and with the insoles in my shoes-I have made it up to running a wee bit. Losing weight will also help. Hope this helps!
  • gabbygirl78
    gabbygirl78 Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    oooh yeah... It 's a horrible thing... I have found resting my heels and the arch on ice packs help also stretching your foot, flexing it a few times and holding before you stand up stretches it out and it is less painful. I got insoles to go in my shoes from academy sports made especially for Plantar Fascitis @ around $10 help a lot. You wanna lift your heel more than lift your arch. I have been dealing with this for years now.

ETS the cortizone shots work but they are painful to get... its worth it though if your in enough pain already!
  • evanblove
    evanblove Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I use custom orthotics. The exercises mentioned throughout the thread are good. Stretch and massage your foot with a ball--I use a baseball. I have not had to get a cortisone shot but did need a noght boot for about a month. If I go without my orthotics for a day, I start feeling the pain again. like many of the others mentioned, go to an podiatrist. Mine avoids shots/surgery until absolutely necessary.
    Good luck!
  • csheltra26
    csheltra26 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I had it in both of my feet - one first then the other a few months later. One took about a year to heal - I kept trying to run and everything else and I finally gave up the running. I continued with kickboxing though and elliptical. I did a lot of stretching, the ice water bottle under my feet, golf ball rolled under my feet. Went to a podiatrist and got the orthotics - they didn't help and I hated them. He also gave me cortizone shots and that helped temporarily.

Cutting back on activity, lots of stretching and ice and one day I woke up and they were both fine. At the same time. Quite strange. You need to stretch your feet but also your calf muscles as that will tighted up your muscles in your feet. I feel your pain.

Good luck to you!