Has anyone successfully managed to stop BINGE EATING?

Options
I binge eat sometimes. Some weeks are worse than others. Would eating at maintainance for a while help my body recover and thus help me stop?! I am super active so this would allow me to eat around 2100 - 2500 a day at maintanance according to MFP

Replies

• VegKate
    VegKate Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Yes, I haven't binged since I started MFP. I stop eating when I'm full. I remind myself that the next bite won't taste better than the first one.
  • prdavies1949
    prdavies1949 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Yes. I used to eat huge amount of salty processed snacks late at night, once I started counting calories and stopped drinking alcohol, I stopped binging.
  • sabinecbauer
    sabinecbauer Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Cutting back on 'white carbs' (sugar, bread, pasta etc.) is what works for me. I find that kind of stuff just makes me want more and more and more of it (which, incidentally, is how Nestle makes a killing :wink: ).

Also, watching things extra-closely just before and during my period helps. That time of the month usually makes me want to eat the fridge, so I try having more non-damaging foods around the house.
  • StephieWillcox
    StephieWillcox Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    When I upped my calories and let myself eat some "bad" things each day - keeping within my calories of course - I stopped bingeing completely.

I think I've had one melt-down binge since January (which is when I upped cals).

Definitely give maintenance cals a shot
  • LovelyStacey89
    Options
    Thanks all!!! X
  • Daz49ers
    Daz49ers Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Yes, one answer for me is good filling meals, 3 meals a day & maybe some fruit or a snack & plenty of water, its working a treat for me
  • sexymuffintop
    Options
    I had to go cold turkey on sweet stuff like chocolate and sugar laden products as I find them addictive. If I eat some it can lead me to craving more and more and/or bingeing. It's like an addiction. I had to quit them to stop craving them. Sucky bit better than that out of control feeling you get with a binge.
  • alltacht
    alltacht Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I think it can take a few approaches or a combined few depending on why you binge. Being more mindful and really asking yourself what youre feeling when you want to binge, and working on stopping those kind of self destructive feelings. For me it was rediscovering reading. When I felt like binging I would say ok Ill read 3 chapters of this book then see how I feel. The books I would read would generally be kinda smart thinking/mindfulness books so Id feel more confident or something when Id finshed my chapters and Id make the choice to not binge. Cos its a choice. (I know this sounds kinda lame haha).
    Another thing that works for me is eating kinda Primal style (Its like Paleo but I have some lovely cheese or yogurt somtimes). I think its the high fat element of this style of eating that satisfys something in me. I often eat a few squares of dark chocolate. And now thats enough :)
    I guess not keeping stuff in the house that will tempt you if thats an option. I remember when I used to be a binger I literally could not understand how people who lived with their families and had loadsa junk in the cupboards didnt go on crazy eating rampages :p
    Good luck!
  • ajbloomu
    ajbloomu Posts: 16
    Options
    I managed to stop, but also hedged my bets a bit. Changed my shopping habits. Binge eating sometimes can be tough to control but if your fridge is full of fruit, non fat foods, veggies, etc. then you can have that late night snack and not feel guilty. Just give someone your car keys so you can't hit up the local fast food places.
  • JDBLY11
    JDBLY11 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    I binge eat sometimes. Some weeks are worse than others. Would eating at maintainance for a while help my body recover and thus help me stop?! I am super active so this would allow me to eat around 2100 - 2500 a day at maintanance according to MFP

I have not binged in several months since I started Myfitnesspal. I have had a few days where I ate at maintenance but no major binges. I think it is a blessing and I really want to lose the weight. Drinking a lot of water and eating more whole low calorie foods really helps. Making sure my calories are set at a manageable, comfortable level helps a lot too.
  • Audrey24HisSuccessStory
    Options
    I think it can take a few approaches or a combined few depending on why you binge. Being more mindful and really asking yourself what youre feeling when you want to binge, and working on stopping those kind of self destructive feelings. For me it was rediscovering reading. When I felt like binging I would say ok Ill read 3 chapters of this book then see how I feel. The books I would read would generally be kinda smart thinking/mindfulness books so Id feel more confident or something when Id finshed my chapters and Id make the choice to not binge. Cos its a choice. (I know this sounds kinda lame haha).
    Another thing that works for me is eating kinda Primal style (Its like Paleo but I have some lovely cheese or yogurt somtimes). I think its the high fat element of this style of eating that satisfys something in me. I often eat a few squares of dark chocolate. And now thats enough :)
    I guess not keeping stuff in the house that will tempt you if thats an option. I remember when I used to be a binger I literally could not understand how people who lived with their families and had loadsa junk in the cupboards didnt go on crazy eating rampages :p
    Good luck!

I like the idea of distracting your mind and reading for a set amount and asking yourself whether your still hungry. Thanks for sharing.
  • Audrey24HisSuccessStory
    Options
    You may have already considered this, butOvereaters Anonymous or TOPS (like a low cost version of weight loss support group) is worth considering! When i'm emotionally spent, I've turned to food, especially at night and in the early AM. I've attended two OA meetings and i'm going to give it a real chance. You may want to consider it.
  • mamasmaltz3
    mamasmaltz3 Posts: 1,111 Member
    Options
    For me, knowing that I can have something if I want it, in whatever amount I want, seems to take away the power of that food. I also think that since I have changed my goals from weight-loss to health and fitness I no longer desire certain foods. I do also think that if your are eating a very restrictive vlcd you are setting yourself up for a binge. Tell yourself you can't have chocolate, then eat low calorie for a few days and I guarantee all you will think about is chocolate. And it has nothing to do with self-control or motivation, your body is doing what it is supposed to do. Keep itself alive. I eat between 2000-2500 cals a day. I workout and try and stay active throughout my day. As I have upped my cals my weight loss has slowed, but food no longer controls me. Some months i lose no lbs, but i continue to lose inches. I don't obsess about it, I don't binge and I don't feel deprived. I am just living my life and enjoying myself. I can bench press 105 lbs, dead lift 185 and squat 150. My strength continues to get better as I feed my muscles. I want to keep that going, so I choose to eat differently to meet my strength goals. Do I eat perfect? No. Do I have treats everyday? Yes. Do I go to buffets and get my feedbag on? You betcha! Do I feel guilty? Heck no!

I think if you are struggling with binging, upping your cals is the right thing to do for you. You are learning how to eat for life, not just a quick fix diet. Be patient and satisfied with a slower weight loss that is sustainable. Your body will thank you for it.
  • LovelyStacey89
    Options
    All these comments are so helpful thanks!! I have upped my calories for now and I think knowing I can have something even if it means waiting for tomorrow is helping me and also helping with disaplin! Thank u xx
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I havent binged since... I dont remember when. My low point was driving home from the supermarket with a whole rotisserie chicken on the passenger seat while eating a half pound block of cheese like it was an apple.

What stopped me? Nothing to do with calories or diet. Happiness stopped me. Being OK with myself for the first time in years stopped me. I used to binge as a form of self harm. It took getting on top of my emotional and mental issues, and I just... stopped. Nothing conscious, nothing taking will power, I just didnt do it anymore because I didnt need to.
  • giveMEbeauty
    giveMEbeauty Posts: 192
    Options
    Struggling with binges
  • angiep098
    angiep098 Posts: 33
    Options
    Yes!
    - Upped my daily net kcal to 1400+
    - Not completely banning any food. If I want it, I'll plan it out and fit it into my intake. I NEVER thought I could practice moderation but it has stopped my binges completely and I feel so much more in control
    - 5-6 small meals a day
    - Eat every 2-3 hours
    - Focus not just on calories, but on macros/quality of food

I still feel tempted to binge, every day. I don't think these cravings will go away any time soon. It's really all about making yourself mentally stronger and forming habits to overcome and control them! It doesn't get any easier, you just get better
  • deanjou59
    deanjou59 Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    I have not managed to completely stop binge eating- but I have decreased the frequency dramatically. To me, that is success! :)
  • runningcat76
    Options
    I have the rare uncontrollable binge but for me my success is due to eating 3 good meals a day plus healthy snacks and exercise. I fill up on salad, fruit and veg and allow myself treats at the weekend. I am not hungry and am not denying myself the treats. I suffered for years with a binge/starve cycle but for first time in years I really feel I have turned a corner. Good luck with your journey, feel free to add me as a friend. I have found the support on MFP a real help.
  • Xoe4
    Xoe4 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Binging has always been my downfall when it comes to weight loss so this time around rather than worrying about my weight I'm worrying about binging. Rather than reward myself for losing x amount of pounds I reward myself for how long I've been binge free. I write down every evening after submitting my diary entry for the day that I managed not to binge. Keeping track just like my food holds me more accountable.