BMR question

Options
Not that I want to start the whole 1,200-calories-vs.-TDEE War again. I just have a question. I frequently see people post that you have to at least eat your BMR calories because otherwise your body isn't getting enough calories for basic function. I had thought the idea was that your body will burn fat to fulfill the rest of your BMR calories. It's not clear to me why the calories needed for basic body function such as keeping the body temperature regulated is different from the calories needed to walk to the kitchen.

Thanks

Replies

• BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    Your body can run off of your fat stores. It's just that a higher calorie deficit increases the amount of metabolic rate reduction.
  • BarbieAS
    BarbieAS Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    It's an arbitrary number. There's no physiological reason that you MUST eat your BMR. You're 100% right, your body will draw calories from other sources (fat or muscle mass) in order to make up ANY calorie deficit.

That being said, it's an excellent reference point for the absolute minimum for most people. It's easy to estimate your BMR, and in order to sustain a healthy, consistent, lasting weight loss you don't want to eat too little, for a laundry list of reasons that you can find anywhere in these forums. For most people, it's just a good concrete number that defines "too little." Of course, for many people that healthy point will be well above their BMR, but using BMR as a general gauge for the bare minimum works for the majority of people trying to lose weight.
  • Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    calories are calories.. its how your body uses them.. Too big of a deficit your body does other things than burn fat.. the idea is to eat less than your body burns.. your body burns your bmr + any movement... if your body conditions are right it will burn fat, if its not it will do other things (stall, burn muscle, etc etc etc)
  • mahanaibu
    mahanaibu Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    Thanks, everyone, for good, sane answers.
  • jjenks3
    jjenks3 Posts: 45
    Options
    I actually just asked this question because I didn't see this thread.

My calculated BMR is ~2400, but MFP has me eating 1950 kcal/day at my 1000 cal deficit. Is this ok?
  • jjenks3
    Options
    Le bump.
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    It's an arbitrary number. There's no physiological reason that you MUST eat your BMR. You're 100% right, your body will draw calories from other sources (fat or muscle mass) in order to make up ANY calorie deficit.

That being said, it's an excellent reference point for the absolute minimum for most people. It's easy to estimate your BMR, and in order to sustain a healthy, consistent, lasting weight loss you don't want to eat too little, for a laundry list of reasons that you can find anywhere in these forums. For most people, it's just a good concrete number that defines "too little." Of course, for many people that healthy point will be well above their BMR, but using BMR as a general gauge for the bare minimum works for the majority of people trying to lose weight.

This was a good answer.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,119 Member
    Options

My calculated BMR is ~2400, but MFP has me eating 1950 kcal/day at my 1000 cal deficit. Is this ok?
    jjenks3,

It's better to start your own thread about this than to highjack this one.

When you do start your thread, include your current weight, your goal weight, your estimated TDEE, and your calorie goal.
  • jjenks3
    Options

jjenks3,

It's better to start your own thread about this than to highjack this one.

When you do start your thread, include your current weight, your goal weight, your estimated TDEE, and your calorie goal.
    I did, and sat :)
  • mahanaibu
    mahanaibu Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    jjenks, hijack away. I don't mind at all.