Concerns about Blogilates?

Options
Okay, I don't know if any of you are doing Blogilates or even know what that is ;) But anyways, I've been trying a few videos lately, from the calendar, but I'm wondering about the intensity. Once I read from one instructor that when you workout at such a high intensity and are puffing and sweating away, you're actually burning the muscle instead of the fat. The instructor was talking about how she goes to the gym and she sets her treadmill on 3 or 4 while everyone else was killing themselves at much harder, higher intensity. Now, most of Cassey's videos aren't high intensity cardio, but there are times when you can really feel this great burn, like killing you in your thighs or something. A zingy, strong, burning feeling. Is this totally normal? Do you guys always get this and am I being paranoid?

Thanks in advance! :)

Replies

• dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    Is that pilates while blogging?
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    Is that pilates while blogging?

^This :huh:
  • RobynLB83
    RobynLB83 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    I love blogilates. The burn you're feeling from using your muscles is totally different than "high intensity" cardio. Moreover, the old advice that you should do steady state cardio (should go at a conversational pace etc.) to burn fat, has been totally debunked by all of the studies showing that more intensity burns more fat.
  • missshyeviolett
    missshyeviolett Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    I don't think this is the case (RE: the muscle loss). The class that I attend daily has a VERY intense thigh portion where the entire point is to push your muscle to fatigue/collapse so that you're shaking and want to die. I've lost three inches per thigh in 8 weeks, but my muscle there is SO much harder and more defined. I may have lost a little bit of muscle, but I think it's primarily been fat.
  • ahviendha
    ahviendha Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    Is this totally normal?

Yes, it's normal.

Your body decides to burn muscle, or fat, depending on the cues you give it. For example if you are lifting weights, your body thinks it needs the muscle for the work you are doing. Pilates is a bodyweight exercise. Further, if you eat enough protein, get your macros in order, your body will want to burn fat because it has enough protein to rebuild and repair muscle as needed.
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Options
    Glad that those in the know are completely ignoring those of us who don't know what the hell blogilates are :huh: :indifferent:
  • mdcoug
    mdcoug Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Glad that those in the know are completely ignoring those of us who don't know what the hell blogilates are :huh: :indifferent:

Google is your friend...

https://www.google.com/search?q=blogilates

:wink:
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Options

Google is your friend...

Oh come on... 3/4 of the threads are made for those of us too lazy to google answers! :tongue:

And googling didn't help much.... it took way to long to come to the conclusion that some bubble gum pop fitness guru has a blog with food and exercise, and if you follow her path, you'll look perfect. Am I even right in that assumption? Between her clothing and ads all over the page, my OCD and ADD mind went berserk!
  • mdcoug
    mdcoug Posts: 397 Member
    Options

Google is your friend...

Oh come on... 3/4 of the threads are made for those of us too lazy to google answers! :tongue:

And googling didn't help much.... it took way to long to come to the conclusion that some bubble gum pop fitness guru has a blog with food and exercise, and if you follow her path, you'll look perfect. Am I even right in that assumption? Between her clothing and ads all over the page, my OCD and ADD mind went berserk!

:laugh:

Yeah, pretty much my observation too!
  • RobynLB83
    RobynLB83 Posts: 626 Member
    Options

Google is your friend...

:laugh:

Yeah, pretty much my observation too!

Don't hate on Kasey just because she's adorable. My boyfriend and I train together in the boxing gym (where, yes, we do a lot of abs because you have to be able to take a punch there), and he can't make it through her 15 minute ab clips. It's legit.
  • ajkees
    ajkees Posts: 7
    Options
    Hmm. Thanks guys. And yeah, it doesn't matter what kind of trainer she is, this is for fitness and most of her routines are pretty hard! That must mean she knows something and is in pretty good shape! ;D
  • jemcclu1
    jemcclu1 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Blogilates is a set of fitness videos done by an exuberant and enthusiastic fitness instructor named Cassey Ho. She has a variety of videos, most of which are centered around pilates and emphasize core strength and balance. It feels a lot like strength training or circuit training, essentially and she does mix in what she calls "Pop Cardio" or "Pop Pilates" where she fuses a variety of things from yoga (cobra pushups, chatarangas), ballet( plie squats), pilates and kickboxing to create a fun way to do cardio. All of her videos are online free, as well as nutritional advice (she is a big advocate of 'clean' eating) and a workout schedule that you can follow.

At first, I will admit I found her too enthusiastic for my reluctant work out style (previously I did 30 day shred w/ Jillian and found myself dreading her workouts and eventually quitting the program all together-- though I do still like to be bossed around by Jillian on occasion). I've been sticking to her workouts despite her over the top bubbly personality and cheesy pop music and I actually am so happy I found this program. Cassey is great, she pushes you to become stronger, distracts you when you are convincing yourself to quit and give up and makes working out fun. I get the sense that her workouts are geared towards younger people, to which I really applaud her for sending such a positive message to young girls. Despite this, her workouts are killer, and I mean slamming and not easy by most senses. I'm 23 and even though Justin Beiber isn't my favorite music to work out to, she kicks my *kitten* and she's transformed my body and mind. She actually gets me excited about working out... which is weird for me to admit.

DO HER WORKOUTS IF YOU WANT RESULTS!