Calling all Nutrela/textured soy protein fans

xonophone
xonophone Posts: 474 Member
edited September 21 in Recipes
Ok, I think I'm at risk of being bombarded by replies telling me how bad soy protein is, however I love it as an occasional meat substitute. Years ago I worked with an Indian lady who introduced me to nutrela chunks, a textured soy protein which is positively outstanding with curry! So for years that is the only way I've prepared it: simply sauteed with onions, garlic, garam masala & curry powder and canolia oil and/or butter subsitute( I know, I know, it's not the same as ghee!). I'd love some ideas on other ways to prepare/eat it. DH hates curry and only lets me make it when the weather is nice and we can open all the windows.:grumble:

Replies

• dale49
    dale49 Posts: 37
    Not sure if you're a vegetarian .....if not this is tasty!! Make it with low-cal coconut milk and a butter substitute to keep calories in check.

Curried Sauteed Chicken Chunks with Coconut Milk - Yield: Makes 4 servings

1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1/2 to 1-inch dice
    1 teaspoon Curry Powder or commercial curry powder
    Salt
    1 teaspoon minced fresh chile or red pepper flakes
    1 tablespoon minced lemongrass
    3 tablespoons butter or neutral oil, such as canola or grapeseed
    2 tablespoons nam pla (Thai fish sauce)
    1 cup canned unsweetened or fresh coconut milk
    1 cup salted peanuts or cashews
    1/2 cup roughly chopped cilantro

Time: 30 minutes
    1. Toss the chicken with the curry powder, salt to taste, chile, and lemongrass.
    2. Place the butter in a medium skillet, preferably nonstick, and turn the heat to medium-high. When it melts, add the chicken. Cook the chicken, stirring occasionally, until it loses its raw color. Add the coconut milk and turn the heat to medium.
    3. Cook for another 2 to 3 minutes until cooked through, then stir in the nam pla and nuts and cook for another 30 seconds. Garnish with cilantro and serve.
  • themommie
    themommie Posts: 5,033 Member
    thanks for sharing this recipe, this sounds great. YUM
  • xonophone
    xonophone Posts: 474 Member
    It does sound amazing, except I'm looking for non-curry ways of preparing the soy protein! Will try this one too though :)
  • dale49
    dale49 Posts: 37
    Ahh...silly me! This one is Asian so no curry/curry smell.:flowerforyou:

Asian Protein Bites

100 grams soya chunks

1 tsp finely chopped ginger and garlic

1/4 cup finely chopped red pepper (sweet or hot)

2 tbsp oil

1/4 finely chopped onion

2 tsp soy sauce

1 tsp hot sauce ( chili sauce )

2 tbsp tomato ketchup

1 tbsp finely chopped tomato

salt as per taste

Method:
    * In a big pan pour 4 cups water and after it starts boiling, stop the stove and put the soya chunks in it. Leave it for 3 mins. Drain the water and squeeze all the water from the soya. Be careful since it will be very hot. So cool it a little and squeeze. Do this method again to remove the raw smell in the soya nuggets. Then chop each one into 2 pieces.

* In a pan pour 2 tbsp of oil and put finely chopped ginger and garlic and fry for 30 sec.

* Now add the chopped onion and fry for 2 mins, then add chopped pepper and fry till they are half cooked.

* Put the soya chunks and chopped tomato along with pepper and fry for a min.

* Pour soy sauce, hot sauce, tomato ketchup and fry for 5 mins in medium flame till cooked.

* Tasty soya chunks is ready to be served as a side dish or over rice.
This discussion has been closed.