I have lost motivation...

Options
HI everyone, I used to exercise like crazy, almost excessively and was proud of my results. Last July I got severely depressed and stopped completely. I keep trying to start over but find a reason not to workout on a particular day. I am not usually one to make excuses but I just can not seem to get my mojo back. The depression is now a vicious cycle cause I hate how I look, you would think that would be motivation enough but I get this there is no use attitude. I hate it and want the old me back. Anyone overcome this and how did you?

Replies

• Kxgz
    Kxgz Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Just think that you can keep doing what you are doing and be miserable or get going and maybe start feeling less miserable. I deal with chronic pain issues and I go through rough spots/injuries/recovery and it sucks. Makes me want to quit. Then I I think, what am I quitting? Healthy eating, exercise that makes me happy and healthy? Just start, right now, today. And then do it again tomorrow : )
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    Just start. Once you get going again, you will remember what you loved about it. You are allowed to start slowly, but you have to begin. It will make you feel better.
  • EmmieBaby
    EmmieBaby Posts: 1,235 Member
    Options
    Just tell that voice in your head to be quiet and do something.

Yesterday I did not want to run, I was lazy, I felt like crap, just wanted to sit on the couch and do nothing.

But i didn't

I told my brain to shut up and I went for a Jog.

And know what? I beat my PR by 5min!

we all have moments where the mojo is gone, it's up to you to tell yourself to get over it and work on being a better you. You will notice your mind going from "don't do it' to "keep going"
  • ThinLizzie0802
    ThinLizzie0802 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    I struggled with this for three years. They best remedy is to just make yourself get up and go one time. One time is usually all it takes to get back in the habit because the instant rush clears all the fog out of your head. One of the easiest tricks I use is to not let myself sit down on the couch when I get home from work before my work outs. I change into work out clothes right away and work on laundry, dishes, or play with my dogs before my workout session arrives. i always look forward to how well I will sleep if I work out too and how great the sun will feel on my face. Just knowing that my everyday anxieties about everything going on in my life will lessen with a little exercise is great motivation. Pick a day and make yourself go and after that one time it should come back to you!
  • ChristaNorris
    ChristaNorris Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    HI everyone, I used to exercise like crazy, almost excessively and was proud of my results. Last July I got severely depressed and stopped completely. I keep trying to start over but find a reason not to workout on a particular day. I am not usually one to make excuses but I just can not seem to get my mojo back. The depression is now a vicious cycle cause I hate how I look, you would think that would be motivation enough but I get this there is no use attitude. I hate it and want the old me back. Anyone overcome this and how did you?

I have gained and lost my motivation so many times it isn't even funny. I tried a 4 Day Pretox a coworker of mine recommended, lost 6.2lbs and my motivation is BACK!!!! One day at a time.
  • jelk8881
    jelk8881 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I feel the same way. I think for me it is because the results are not happening fast enough and I hate exercising by myself. So I just do not do it anymore. I have no idea how to overcome it because I am still stuck in. My kids do sleep but by the time they sleep now all I wanna do is lay on the lounge and watch tv. Hopefully we can both regain our motivation. :flowerforyou:
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    I agree with most posters who say you just have to force yourself to move.

But, are you being treated for your depression? I know from personal experience that untreated depression can be a HUGE obstacle to get over on just will power alone.
  • perfect_storm
    perfect_storm Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Yes I am being treated for it it must not be working.
  • gdodson1
    gdodson1 Posts: 1
    Options
    You can't give up!! You have come to far to give in and not stand back up.... We fall at times, but we must remember to never give up....
  • coco3382458
    coco3382458 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Yes I am being treated for it it must not be working.

exercise can really help and treat your depression. It has made a difference for me and it can for you too. Just kick your own *kitten* and make yourself move. Tell yourself you do not want to be a failure and get your *kitten* up and moving. JUST DO IT!!
  • jujunnaichi
    Options
    You are not alone. Some of my recent MFP entries are show below:

9XkRuKZ.png

FWfdPhf.png

I tend to sleep and eat a lot when I'm depressed. I always wallow in self-pity and find that talking to a professional didn't help because I had that same "there is no use attitude." The feeling of hopelessness was quite overwhelming.

Right now, you probably feel like nobody can help you. I've been there. I can relate. And you know what? You are absolutely right. Nobody can help you but yourself.

Put up a cork board on your wall and label it "Under Construction." Create a detailed calendar-like workout and diet plan. Print it out pin it on your board. Set short and long term goals. Pin a before picture and inspiring pictures of what you want to look like in the near future. Suggested things you may want to include on your board are progress pictures or reports of the following:

1. Face pics - so you can see how happy you are getting while taking on this awesome "new" you adventure
    2. Body pics
    3. Weight
    4. Measurements
    5. Exercise progress - either your progress in running, increasing weight in lifting, etc.

During your progress, there still maybe a time that you will feel depressed. Cry if you need to; scream if you want to. But whatever you do, don't ever let depression immobilize you.

Are you psyched? Are you ready? Come and get some!!! Booyahh!
  • michellesplan1
    Options
    If you are still feeling bad and down on yourself then I would call your doctor and discuss this with him/her because you may need something a little different or a little more...

As far as getting back on track just start off slow; do the one thing that you like and make the commitment to do it 3 x a week and build from there. Sometimes it just takes getting back in the groove to remind us how good we felt before we stopped.

Take care of your health and I am sure if you get your meds right everything else will soon follow... :flowerforyou:

Michelle
  • steffers628
    Options
    bump! You are not alone.
  • itsCanCan
    itsCanCan Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I've been where you are before! It's hard, but YOU CAN DO IT! When I don't workout I feel terrible and when i start back working out, i can tell a big difference! I have so much energy and my attitude is even better! Even though I wish I saw results quicker, I know they are coming! Continuing joining chats and keeping with different blogs! Do different routines, some easy or hard, that way you wont get tired of doing the same thing! NEVER quit! Best of luck to you!:smile:
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain!!! I lost 50 lbs, and in the last few months gained 9 back, lost 1 again...It's soooo hard after all we've accomplished not to be disappointed, depressed, hard on ourselves. I know how bad depression sucks, I was in it's grasp for 5 long miserable years...It's hard, but you CAN do it. One step, one day, one moment, one meal at a time! Feel free to add me if you'd like, I'll try to help along the way!!!

I actually got this in my email box today and thought I would share

Overcoming a Setback

It happens — you miss a few workouts and you feel like you've fallen off the weight-loss wagon. It's tempting to mentally slap yourself around, right? (Or head for the fridge.) Before you start, I want to remind you of something: Being hard on yourself is the Old You.

The New You knows how to deal with setbacks and get back on the wagon. And after all, there are no mistakes, just learning experiences. Weight loss is a process — it takes time. You will encounter small failures — everyone does — but every pound you gain can be lost.

And if you miss a workout, it's not the end of the world! Get to the gym the next day and continue to focus on your short-term goals. Just because you made bad choices today doesn't mean you can't start over tomorrow. New day? New beginning. And don't you forget it!
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    Exercise helps with depression because of the hormones that are released. There is no easy answer, you just have to do it. Easier said than done, but your health is worth the fight.
  • runningagainstmyself
    runningagainstmyself Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    I've battled with depression for many years now, and the only thing that I can tell you from my experience is that exercise has been a better form of mood swing management than any medication. The only exercise you regret is the workout you don't do. Try to take it one day at a time. Say to yourself, "I will do ___ today" and make it manageable. If you feel like doing more, bonus! Keep going! If you don't, you at least have given your body something to work with for the day, and sometimes, that makes all the difference.
  • rkirpan
    rkirpan Posts: 2
    Options
    I know that we all have day's where we don't have the drive to get going. But it's baby step's. Once you get back to exercising you'll feel better cause of the endorphins and the anticipation of having a good night's sleep. Once you start back into a routine don't go overboard either otherwise your going to burn yourself out. Like I said, baby step's.

I also get dressed right into my exercise clothes as soon as I get home from work and I go directly to the gym before I lose the will power and this seem's to make it a little easier. Then once I get to the gym I tell myself your here, that's half the challenge. Now I can go exercise for a half hour and if I still am not feeling it I can leave. But most of the time after a half hour I'm in a great mood that I don't feel that urge to leave. This work's for me maybe you should give a try. I hope this was helpful.
  • bert16
    bert16 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    Yep, I've been there... in fact, still am there, to a certain degree. I've struggled with depression for almost a decade now; it definitely leads me to lengthy bouts of sitting on the couch doing nothing but eating and drinking more than I should (thankfully, not a major issue, but certainly wasted calories). I'm currently in an upswing; exercising and eating right, but that's after many, many months of not doing so. And this certainly isn't the first time I've gone through this cycle (nor is it likely the last, unfortunately, but I'm being honest with myself here).

What I do to get myself off the couch and out on the roads (I'm a runner when I'm not a couch surfer) is to just tell myself I'll do one run. Just one. Not commit to doing it every day, which tends to overwhelm me when I'm in a funk; not overcommit and schedule my next marathon, since I end up feeling crummy if I break that promise to myself... I just tell myself I'll get out there for a single short run. And there are plenty of false starts; but one of those times, the time when you just act quickly, throw your workout clothes on and just get out there before you give yourself a chance to change your mind, you do it. You just exercise and you feel better that you did it and you remember how much better you feel when you're treating yourself right. So you try to do it again the next day, and so on.

I'm in the middle of it now; just trying to take it one day / run at a time and am feeling really good about it. If I can keep this up for a bit, I'm going to think about picking a race (most likely a half) and following a training schedule, which takes the thought/debate out of it for me somewhat (i.e., I treat the schedule like it's a stone tablet and do what it says so that I can't cut it short or skip it). Probably the best I've felt over the past decade was when I did that for my first marathon... I was exercising regularly, feeding myself well to fuel the exercise, and just generally feeling better about myself/things than I had in a long time.

Sure - you'll likely have more bad days; but just promise yourself *one* workout and don't break that promise.

Best of luck to you!!!! :flowerforyou:
  • utvolsfan74
    utvolsfan74 Posts: 105
    Options
    I to am in the process of overcoming this problem. Last year I was working out everyday, lost about 15 pounds and then for some reason depression kicked in. I joined the gym this week and so far have gone 3 days straight. Like you I would make up excuses why not to work out, etc. Heck I wouldn't get out of bed if I didn't have to. Maybe the both of us can keep each other motivated and help one another out :smile: