Alternatives to soda?

Options
I confess I have a pretty bad addiction to diet coke. I drink a LOT of it. Every day. I'm trying to quit or at least dramatically lower my intake of it. But I can't drink just water and nothing else all the time, so what are your favourite alternatives? Currently I have a cup of green tea with lemon, but I'd like a bit of variety too. :)

Replies

• Lissa7215
    Lissa7215 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I love diet soda too. I think it's mostly because of the bubbles. I switched to flavored seltzer and flavored sparkling water. It helps increase my water intake without adding the extras (like sodium) that diets sodas have.
  • SteelySunshine
    SteelySunshine Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Diet Snapple, Crystal Light, Propel, Water. I think that your green tea with lemon is the best though.
  • zillah73
    zillah73 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    I like just plain water or LaCroix (grapefruit and coconut).
  • whitney_simpson
    whitney_simpson Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I like doing sparkling water with a slice of lemon when I am really craving a soda. I quit drinking soda 16 months ago and still get cravings for a coke.
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    Why are you looking to give up zero-calorie soda?
  • getfitcharles
    Options
    Because it's still not the best thing to drink, and is expensive to buy a lot of it.
  • Marcidy
    Marcidy Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Coffee or infused water! I make a big pitcher of water with chopped up fruit inside and let it sit overnight. The water is so fruity and sweet by morning! I love making it with grapefruit or oranges. I plan on trying it with mangos and strawberries later this week
  • karllundy
    karllundy Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    Iced tea, unsweetened. Or iced coffee, with a little sugar.
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    Water - water with lemon, water with lime, water with cucumbers and mint, water, water and more water. You'll for get about soda in about 2-3 months.
  • iarelarry
    iarelarry Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    GIVE UP SODA?!?!

tumblr_mh24gzNyNl1reu7fzo1_400.gif
  • Rebretta
    Rebretta Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to drop the soda as well. I've stopped buying it for home and started buying unsweet tea (which I add Splenda to). I will sometimes get soda when I eat out. I'm thinking about trying fruit infused water. I don't care for water in general. I saw a great idea where you freeze lemon slices with water in muffin pans. I'm thinking I'll start making a pitcher of water with fresh fruit in the evening and have it good and cold by morning for my work day. I also have a cup that has an insert you add fruit to (to keep the bits out of your straw!).
  • cstclair1973
    Options
    try flavored water...like Sparkling Ice....it's carbonated and some of the flavors are really good. I have tried Propel packets and Crystal Light to flavor my water...but they are either too sweet or too bitter...I know I should cut out all soda...but the new Kickstarts by Mtn Dew are only 80 calories...a ton of caffeine and I only drink one a day. I have also added a new addiction of Coke Zero. I have to admit the only diet sodas that I can handle are Diet Dr. Pepper, Dr. Pepper 10, and Coke Zero. Diet soda really isn't too bad for you as long as you aren't drinking several of them a day.

The down side to the Sparkling Ice is that they are $1 each, but worth it when I want something cold.
  • AmykinsCatfood
    AmykinsCatfood Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    I drink water with either Mio or Dasani Zero Calorie water enhancers. Not as good as pop, but at least it doesn't taste like water.
  • kganc001
    kganc001 Posts: 317
    Options
    Vitamin Water just put out a sparkling fruit drink thing...0 cal and fizzy. So delicious.

I also buy the dasani water enhancer pink lemonade flavor since I drink a lot of water at work and it's a small little squeezey that fits in my purse.
  • brichnic
    brichnic Posts: 14
    Options
    I love Lipton Diet Green Tea Citrus!
  • ashleymcn01
    ashleymcn01 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I only drink water with the True Lime Black Cherry Limeade packets. Like others have said, once you get started on something else, you'll forget all about soda! Also, if you need the caffeine, have an unsweetened tea with a Truvia packet and/or lemon.
  • TheBunnyStrange
    TheBunnyStrange Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I drink a lot of club soda. lots of bubbles and no calories
  • SailorKnightWing
    SailorKnightWing Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    I like sparkling water because you get the fizz of soda. It's a little bitter/tart because of the carbonation, but if you drink diet soda then you're used to that. I add lemon slices and lavender or mint from my garden sometimes.

You could make some Italian sodas by mixing sparkling water with flavored syrups. You can use regular or sugar free syrups and control how much you use according to your taste and dietary needs.
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    Because it's still not the best thing to drink, and is expensive to buy a lot of it.
    If the money's the prime factor, water/soda water is pretty much your default option. Just be aware that bottled water or soda water often has added sodium and/or other "stabilizers" and is often not a substantial savings over store-brand diet soda.

Diet sweet tea is fundamentally the same thing as diet soda

What additives, in particular, are you concerned with?
  • lisaanne1369
    lisaanne1369 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    BEER !