Men's opinion on short hair

Options
MSeel1984
MSeel1984 Posts: 2,297 Member
So...I used to have really short hair (pixie cut-see below, it was very similar)...now it's longer. I got bored with not being able to do a lot with my short hair so I decided to grow it out...I'm not quite to my goal length but it's driving me nuts. It's so much work..the products to keep it looking nice are getting expensive...

I am so tempted to hack it off...I want opinions on if I should keep it long or cut it...There are pros and cons to both, but you can see my profile pic here with long hair...do you think I should keep it long or cut it? Please don't come back with snarky comments like "it's your hair, do what you want." I'm asking for advice because I'm torn and want opinions.

Here's what I had in mind...

ginnifer-goodwin-as-mary-margaret-blanchard-in-once-upon-a-time-f-21860.jpg

My goal length (if I continue to grow it) is this

zooey-deschanel-profile.jpg

Replies

• BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    What do you think? What about your boyfriend or SO? Those are the only opinions that matter.

My wife has had short hair, long hair, and been bald from chemo. She's hot all three ways and she wears her hair to please herself and to allow her to play with her look. I love her and have the hots for her regardless.
  • WeepingAngel81
    WeepingAngel81 Posts: 2,232 Member
    Options
    What do you think? What about your boyfriend or SO? Those are the only opinions that matter.

My wife has had short hair, long hair, and been bald from chemo. She's hot all three ways and she wears her hair to please herself and to allow her to play with her look. I love her and have the hots for her regardless.

Do you have a single brother?
  • MSeel1984
    Options

LoL...this is what I wish I could hear from my hubby.

So I don't hate the long hair...It's just getting frustrating...and I look back at pictures of me with short hair and I do miss it-I think it made my face look thinner and brought out my eyes...

My husband however, LOVES the longer hair. He likes playing with it and thinks it makes me look feminine...but he always wants me to wear it up and it's doing a lot of damage to the hair so it's not growing as fast as I want...Dunno. I did like it short...it can be pretty long, it's just a lot of work.
  • miatine
    miatine Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I know you asked for men's opinions, but I just have to jump in and say I see your conundrum! You have a face that would lend itself well to either (very pretty =)! That being said I have always admired girls who can rock short hairstyles, and I LOVE Ginnifer Goodwin's hair. However, before I do things to my hair I always have to stop and consider my motivation, because I tend to be an emotional cutter/dyer. If you have a goal in mind as far as long hair, if I were you I would fulfill that one first and then see how you feel, or re-evaluate the reasons that you had for wanting to grow it out. If they aren't that important to you anymore, cut it, cut it! =) It looks cute in your profile pic right now, but I think that short hairstyles have a wow factor too!
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options

Make that two, please! :flowerforyou:
  • _Wild_Card_
    _Wild_Card_ Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    as long as it's long enough for me to grab a handful :wink: :smokin:
  • miatine
    miatine Posts: 17 Member
    Options

LoL...this is what I wish I could hear from my hubby.

So I don't hate the long hair...It's just getting frustrating...and I look back at pictures of me with short hair and I do miss it-I think it made my face look thinner and brought out my eyes...

My husband however, LOVES the longer hair. He likes playing with it and thinks it makes me look feminine...but he always wants me to wear it up and it's doing a lot of damage to the hair so it's not growing as fast as I want...Dunno. I did like it short...it can be pretty long, it's just a lot of work.

Right?? You're awesome BeachIron. Mine likes long hair too, but he's coming around to "whatever you like, babe". I'm planning on going shoulder length after our wedding =)
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    As a guy, I almost always prefer long hair. I associate short hair and especially layered short hair with old women. Now you do kinda have that face that could rock a pixie cut, but it's a slippery slope. Just grow it out.
  • Jenn_Lyn1102
    Jenn_Lyn1102 Posts: 219 Member
    Options

Beautiful!

I love both looks for you!

My husband, well when I first met him said he loved short hair. We have been together 8 years, and I have never once had short hair! It makes me want to chop it off to see what he would think, but I am way too nervous to!
    But I have always wondered, what do men prefer, long or short hair!?
  • mmm_drop
    mmm_drop Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options

This.

I had long hair, cut it all off and love it. My bf loves me regardless. You do what makes you happy. :)
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    I just went through this myself. I couldn't stand the growing out process anymore and found a style I really wanted so I hacked it off. And I love it. It takes me 5 minutes to blow dry it, only 2 styling products, a swipe of the flatiron. 10 minutes tops to do my hair. I'm now thinking of going even shorter
  • taycheese
    taycheese Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I like the shorter hair, I have short hair, but not a pixie cut and its so easy to manage
  • HappyElizabeth
    HappyElizabeth Posts: 231 Member
    Options

I'm wondering too!
  • TinaRoberts67
    TinaRoberts67 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I think you would absolutely rock the short hair cut personally. However its very becoming long as well. I always tend to got shorter in the summer and longer during the winter (I get tired of it hot on my neck) I agree with letting it grow to your goal length and see how well you like it before cutting it off.
  • MSeel1984
    Options

Beautiful!

My husband, well when I first met him said he loved short hair. We have been together 8 years, and I have never once had short hair! It makes me want to chop it off to see what he would think, but I am way too nervous to!

That is just my problem. We met when my hair WAS pixie short. I always loved it (low maintenance and it made me stand out from all FOUR of my sisters)...he mentioned once he liked long hair but never came out and asked me to grow it. I asked my stylist to try something different with my hair and she just laughed "honey, if you want me to do anything different, you have to grow it out to give me something to work with."

Now that I've made it this far, I'm TERRIFIED to cut it...because it's taken forever to get it this long and I'm afraid of what I might feel if I hack it off...

On the other hand I've gotten so many comments saying I should go back to my pixie cut because it suited my personality...

I appreciate the input...it actually is a really tough decision-it's a lot of work to grow it out and it's not a decision I want to make hastily.
  • 5ftnFun
    5ftnFun Posts: 948 Member
    Options

Win!
  • Hexahedra
    Hexahedra Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    Certain length of hair does intrigue me more, but frankly it's the least of my concern if I'm in a serious relationship with a woman.

Would I like you less if you have short hair? No
    Would I kick you out of bed if you have short hair? No
    Would I break off if you care more about your hair than being nice to me? Yes
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    I appreciate the input...it actually is a really tough decision-it's a lot of work to grow it out and it's not a decision I want to make hastily.

Could you do it in stages? It wouldn't be so terrifying if you cut a few inches off at a time and you might find an in-between cut you like better.
  • MSeel1984
    Options

I'm wondering too!

LoL! Sorry, ladies, he's married! Only one brother and five girls in our family...he and I look a LOT alike...I've been told I'm the female version of him. :)
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options

Beautiful!

That is just my problem. We met when my hair WAS pixie short. I always loved it (low maintenance and it made me stand out from all FOUR of my sisters)...he mentioned once he liked long hair but never came out and asked me to grow it. I asked my stylist to try something different with my hair and she just laughed "honey, if you want me to do anything different, you have to grow it out to give me something to work with."

Now that I've made it this far, I'm TERRIFIED to cut it...because it's taken forever to get it this long and I'm afraid of what I might feel if I hack it off...

On the other hand I've gotten so many comments saying I should go back to my pixie cut because it suited my personality...

IMHO, you would look absolutely stunning in a pixie cut. I think they're way underrated. Have fun. Seriously. That having fun, I'm going to play attitude is sexy. I get surprised regularly with new looks and Iove it. I'm not saying anything that will mess it up. He will learn.