Newbie Burnaby British Columbia

Options
New to Myfitnesspal..... my daughter recently joined and she suggested that perhaps this is what I needed to get my weight under control. I moved to Burnaby BC 4 years ago leaving behind my support network of family and friends. Having moved to the big city from a small town, I have found it extremely hard to make friends as I have moved into a condo and the social contact is nil. I have had two jobs since moving here but they were in small offices and the people that I had the opportunity to work with lived close to a hour away, so not really an ideal situation for finding someone to discuss weight loss or someone to exercise with. I certainly hope that by posting my introduction I might just find someone in the neighbourhood who is also in need of a friend to cheer them on, or to take a walk around the block. :happy:

Looking forward to making new friends and losing a few pounds.

Replies

• Eve23
    Eve23 Posts: 2,352 Member
    Options
    I am not in the neighborhood per say, but I can certainly relate to where you are. I know it can be hard to self motivate or even be the one and only starting out. However I can tell you that this is a wonderful site and that when you begin give it some time. You will find as you have successes people will come to you and express interest in what you are doing. You will do great. Welcome to this neighborhood.
  • Skunkroaster
    Skunkroaster Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    :blushing: Thanks!
  • StuAblett
    StuAblett Posts: 1,141 Member
    Options
    Hows it going eh?

Sorry, I'm losing my Canadian accent, I've lived in Tokyo Japan for 20 years now, but I am originally from Kelowna BC and I lived in Vancouver for about 5 years.

Moving to a whole new country with a different language and a different culture, yeah I can understand your problem of social networks :bigsmile:

I'm not in the neighbourhood either, but you can still consider us here at least as your online friends!

I'll send you a friend request, so we can keep tabs on each other and keep each other motivated.

Welcome to My Fitness Pal!

Cheers!
  • BishopSpence
    BishopSpence Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the neighborhood! God bless you as you journey to weight loss haven.
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP!!:flowerforyou:

I am not really in your neighborhood either, but at least on the same coast, just about 300 miles south is all!!:laugh: :laugh: I read your profile, and you are slightly "underage":wink: , but I would like to invite you to check out a thread I post on regularly from Support and Motivation Forum. It's the 50+ Women's Thread. We have at least 2 members who live on Vancouver Island, and I think there is another recent drop-in from mainland BC.

Here is a link. Feel free to drop in and say hello:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/114320-women-ages-50-for-august?page=4#posts-1570747
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    I forgot to say that I am familiar with your town. I have an aunt who lives there, and have made the drive from the White Rock area to Burnaby a couple of times to visit her. My mom is from Canada and I have other family in Langley, and the vicinity.

I have driven between the Oregon border and BC so many times I could do it in my sleep!!:noway: I am old enough to remember when it was a TWELVE hour drive, before I-5 was completed. Now, if one can get through Seattle without delays, it's about 5 hours if all goes well. Since my mom can't travel very well now due to her age, it has been 3 years since I was up there, so one of these days I have to make a trip to see some of my cousins.
  • Skunkroaster
    Skunkroaster Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the welcome.....much appreciated!