Stomach and protein shakes questions

Options
122ish
122ish Posts: 339 Member
First off sorry if I am in the wrong thread
Ok so I hit goal like 3 months ago, 4 months ago I hit actual goal of 125 but kept losing during the beginning of maintenance and figured I liked 120. I have been focusing on weight training since then trying to lift 3 times a week but to be honest I had a month of lagging with lifting once a week. I do 10 mins of crunches almost every day with a rest day here and there. I have laid off all the cardio because I kept losing even with increased cals. I do like 1hr cardio a week and shooting for an hour lifting every other day.

My stomach won't budge and after reading countless posts about how crunches are not going to get rid of it I get that part. I think it's a bit of loose skin and still some fat there. It's not huge and in clothes I appear to have a flat stomach but I want to feel great naked and wear that bikini. I read I need to lose more weight to get rid of that belly fat, but if I can't control where I lose the fat how will that work. I knew all along I wanted to be a 36-26-36 and right now I am a 36-261/2-36 so I would hate to go smaller
So what can I do, can I lose more like lets say 5-8 lbs to see if that helps and maybe try to regain some back after while doing anything special to try and prevent my stomach from regaining. Again I know I can't choose where I gain so my question might sound stupid but I had to ask. Oh my problem is more of a lower belly issue which includes a mothers apron, darn kids. Kidding they were a lot of the reason why I lost weight.

Ok next question I recently started having more protein shakes cause I kept reading about that whole 1g per pound. I didn't go that extreme but doubled my intake. So I have noticed I am like a teenager lately getting pimples, and I didn't even get them then. Even on my back ( a few but that's enough) plus on my arms. They are not huge but also not attractive. Does anyone notice that with protein shakes. I am drinking the market pantry one from target that is I believe 25g protein for a 35g serving. I had tried a couple from gnc that were super sweet so I did not like plus another I can't remember the name of. Cost is an issue so the price and flavor work perfect for me.

I don't post much and this is a little out of my comfort zone telling u about my pimples and yucky stomach so be kind!

Replies

• jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    If you have dairy sensitivities (like I do) whey protein (casein and/or lactose) can cause adverse reactions - digestive issues and skin problems for me, personally.

ETA: It's 1 gram per pound of lean mass, not per pound of total body mass. If you know your body fat % you can calculate your lean mass.
  • 122ish
    Options
    I eat cheese, butter, cream cheese and other dairy products , and have always consumed milk, until I started with weight loss But I only gave up milk.

Ok thanks for the protein info I am planning on going tomorrow to check my body fat. Although I am pretty sure I have been consuming about the right amount of protein
  • 122ish
    Options
    Bump
  • koing
    koing Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Weight is irrelevant for you now that you are at a good weight.. What you are concern about is body fat % and building a physique for yourself.

What is your actual cal, carbs, fats and protein break down at the moment? You need to do squats and deadlifts and I guarantee your stomach will be in great shape. These exercises will build your abs. People belong in 2 camps, ones that don't need to work for abs and ones that do. Some people have great developed abs with very little effort and others need to put in work. But the main thing is you can get there if you train properly. You will definitely not get there doing what you are currently doing. You need to develop your abs and lower your body fat % to show them off.

Koing
  • JeanmarieClara
    JeanmarieClara Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I agree with Koing. Now that you are at a good weight, stay there, but gain more muscle mass. This will help show off those strong muscles. It will take a little experimenting. My sister always had a little lower belly pooch that she hated! But once she did insanity (religiously) she lost the pooch and gained muscle mass. Insanity doesn't focus specifically on abs, it is an overall cardio and building muscle program. Not saying you need to do insanity, I'm just giving you an example. A mix of cardio, muscle building and controlled calories and protein is the way to go!
  • michellechawner
    Options
    This is my issue - i'm almost at goal but have a ton of belly fat still. I was tested for food allergies and that's not the issue. I'm now going to work on gaining more muscle mass and hope it evens out.
  • jakesfitness
    jakesfitness Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    that is the last little bit of fat i have on me too! stupid lower stomach and love handles... but i agree with everyone else, and you said you do 10 minutes of crunches a day. Are you working your obliques and lower back also? or are you focusing only on your abs?
  • jakesfitness
    jakesfitness Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    oh yeah, also i havent had any problems with pimples or anything... check your protein and make sure there isnt any weird chemicals or artificial sweeteners in it.
    43932452 Posts: 7,246 Member
    Options
    As you know I'm still in the losing phase. :)
    I would say time with your belly, things change
    even when you're not trying. I've noticed many
    ppl just ignore a spot since you can't spot
    reduce but eventually they got it to improve.
    I think you've done an awesome job too.

I use Body Fortress and never had pimples from it.
    Maybe you are adverse to lactose? Hubby is and
    there are a lot of effects if he has it.
  • CajunTexan33
    CajunTexan33 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Did you check to see if your protein shakkes contain dairy? SInce cutting out dairy my skin and health has completely changed- and I have suffered with skin issues my entire like! I use unsweetened almond milk and Merrikh Medical Paleo protein powder with acai puree and some cacao nibs every day for my breakfast and I LOVE it.
  • 122ish
    Options
    Protein powder is whey maybe I will look into another at least one tub to see if I notice a difference.

I have been thinking about insanity, thinking I need something more extreme.
    I couldnt tell you what I am really working I tend to try ab exercises that involve standing, laying, leg raises, Plank positions not just the usual legs bent feet in floor and crunch.

Thanks for the responses