My husband wants to do Medifast

Options

Replies

• rebbylicious
    rebbylicious Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    some people just need to make their own mistakes. If his mind is made up there is nothing you can do to change it.
  • ecdce
    ecdce Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I can appreciate that your finances are tied together, but I also feel like he is an adult that deserves to make his own decisions and succeed or fail. I know its not the same, but if you were really excited about getting a personal trainer, and he kept telling you to just work out at home, how would you feel? Maybe a little discouraged or resentful? Or maybe not at all, I don't know your relationship dynamics :-) You know him better than we do, so you're better equipped to gauge his reaction. If he is really excited about it (and not really excited about counting calories), maybe agree to try it for a set time/set amount of money?
  • ksimmons19
    ksimmons19 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    The food tastes like CRAP. I did it for about 2 months (and lost 15 pounds) but I started falling off the wagon and wanting to do insanity so I started eating clean and working out. When I would try to go back on medifast I couldn't STAND the food. You can only fool yourself into thinking that "it tastes OK..." for so long IMO.
  • Melissa11412
    Melissa11412 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    No. Please don't.

this, if he's looking to lose weight he should reduce his caloric intake, drink more water and you all go walk in the park together, more exercise and more romance :heart: a few times a week, add more as he gets moving, watch Biggest Loser or get on MFP for inspiration to keep it up

bank the $$ he would have spent on medifast and the upkeep/supplements and go on a cruise next year :drinker:
  • USMCnetty90
    USMCnetty90 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    however, I'm all but convinced it's just another, EXPENSIVE, gimmick that can't be sustained in real life once the weight comes off. I don't know though. A chick on a radio show he listens to is doing it and has lost like 130 in a year and he's convinced that if Ruth66 can do it then it's exactly perfect for him too. He really has a problem with self control though. UGHHHHHH. Sorry just wanted to vent a little. Maybe I'm totally off base, too; anyone want to try to enlighten me as to why/how Medifast could actually work? For the record, he's 5'6.5" and somewhere over 300 pounds, I don't know how long it's been since he's been on a scale...

edited to clarify a couple things

OMG Ruth66!!!! she used to do traffic for Dave Shelly and Chainsaw when I lived in SD~~~ what memories...
    sorry this has nothing to do with the post - but it made me smile
  • tedrickp
    tedrickp Posts: 1,229 Member
    Options
    I wasn't sure about Medifast but that stretch of four positive posts, from people with no real posting history and no profile pics...totally sold me!

throwing-money-away.gif
  • janupshaw
    janupshaw Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I did Medifast for a couple months. I lost 12 pounds in 6 weeks, which is no faster than if I was watching what I ate & exercising. I do think it is healthy, since you get all your daily nutrition from the food. It was easy (grab & go). I spent about $265 per month on it. You have to watch it, they send you the next month's shipment (and charge you) after 2-2.5 weeks. I was sick to death of the food after 3 weeks. The bars & shakes were best. I think it's hard to transition from it, because it's not food you can make on your own. I certainly wouldn't do it again. The program is really designed to be on it forever (at a maintanence level, eating less of their food & more real food).
  • Blossom59
    Blossom59 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Me and Oprah Winfrey did Medifast back in the 80's........we both lost good, but once you get off of it....you gain it all back!! I gained back lots more than I lost (nearly double)!!!!
  • QueensGirl83
    QueensGirl83 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I think that this chick from the radio, ruth66 or whatever her name is, is probably paid by the company to talk about how great the product is. There are also doctors out there who suggest the product because they are getting paid to do so as well. I have never tried medifast, but I have tried others and although you can pick up better eating habits from those sort of products, they have never worked in the long run for me. As far as eating habits go, being on this site has educated me far more about eating properly and controlling my portions more that any product out there and it's free! Also, look at all of the success stories that are on here and all by eating real food and incorporating exercise into your daily life. You should suggest for your husband to come on to this site and to see a nutritionist, one that is more concerned about their patients' welfare than selling a product. I work in advertising and I've seen all sorts of ads for products that claim to help you lose weight and its really sad in my opinion. To those companies, we are nothing but fat walking dollar signs.
  • sunshyncatra
    sunshyncatra Posts: 598 Member
    Options
    I know someone who lost weight on Medifast but is having some real problems maintaining. If your husband needs accountability that he pays for (sometimes a very good motivator), I would suggest Weight Watchers or another system that promotes eating real food and a balanced diet. That is a life change that is maintainable.
  • JUDDDing
    JUDDDing Posts: 1,367 Member
    Options
    I would do it. (I looked into the plan for a bit in late December and decided not to. (I'm cheap))

But the key here is that he WANTS to. The hardest part of a diet, IMO, is starting one. He wants to start this one.

Let him.

If he gets sick of it, switch him to a different plan at that point, but let him get some weight lost and increased motivation from this. IMO, it's better to start something that might not be ideal than to do nothing at all. Which might be the choice you have.
  • gypsyrose64
    gypsyrose64 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I did it a few years ago and didn't last a month on that crap. I found the shakes and food repulsive in taste. They may have gotten better at the taste, but to me it was like chewing cardboard. There will always be someone out there that says they did well on a program like that, but it's expensive and not something you can keep up long term. You eventually have to start eating normal food again, and that's where many get into trouble.

I know someone at work that lost about 60lbs fast on IDEAL PROTEIN DIET shakes/food. He was in the army reserves and had to ditch weight fast before getting shipped off somewhere and it worked for him. He said it tasted pretty decent, but again, you talking $$$ and it doesn't change your relationship with normal food.

If hubby is hellbent on doing "shakes" type diet, point him that direction and compare the two.
    In the long run, he has to learn the hard way what works for him.
  • laurapreble1
    Options
    I've been on the Take Shape for Life plan since May. I think it is very good, and of course, doesn't fit for everyone. I have tried Weight WAtchers and a bunch of other stuff, and nothing has worked for me until this. Some of the food is great, some is not so great. It depends on your taste, of course. The great thing is that the food has all the nutrients you need for the day (minus your lean and green meal). I think it's very manageable, and the support option is great (and free...yes, really free.)

I am a real person and if you want to message me about it, I'll be happy to share any info with you.
  • garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    I posted this earlier today on a post about Optifast but it applies to this post too - just substitute for Medifast for Optifast:

I have done a medically supervised Optifast type program TWICE in my life. I wish I would have learned my lesson from the first go-round. It was a waste of time and money. It is amazing while you are doing it - the weight drops like crazy and you feel like a million. I had classes and workshops weekly on nutrition, and how to eat when you go back into eating solid foods. The minute you start putting solid food back into your mouth, the weight starts coming back. In the program I was in they even told us to expect it. It does not give you the real world experience you need to lose and keep it off. I really wish I didn't waste the time and money. I am only sharing my own experiences, I do wish everyone who is doing it luck, but I am sticking with MFP and exercising and changing some eating habits because clearly it works.

7396232.png
  • Raddichio
    Raddichio Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    If he wants more direction and structure, would he consider seeing a dietician instead? I've not had experience with this, but it certainly seems like it would be a better use of money than Medfast----maybe health insurance would pay for some of it, if he is obese and his doctor has health concerns about his weight?
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    If he wants more direction and structure, would he consider seeing a dietician instead? I've not had experience with this, but it certainly seems like it would be a better use of money than Medfast----maybe health insurance would pay for some of it, if he is obese and his doctor has health concerns about his weight?
    This is actually a great idea. We don't currently have health insurance, but if he's willing to throw $300+ down on Medifast maybe I can get him to use the same money for a few meetings with a Registered Dietician (NOT nutritionist). Hmmmmm.
  • janetrblum
    Options
    I am a Registered Dietitian, and a Certified Health Coach with Take Shape For Life. Let me first tell you that I DO get paid by TSFL to coach my clients. A person who goes on the Medifast diet, will get diet results which means they will lose weight and 85% of them will gain the weight back within 2 years, just like any other diet. When someone uses the TAKE SHAPE FOR LIFE PROGRAM, they will use the same eating plan for weight loss (medifast meals five times a day and one Lean and Green meal that they prepare themselves) HOWEVER they will be using program materials (book) and a coach to help learn to recognize their habits of disease and create new habits of health. It is a whole different mindset based on the desire to create health in one's life and make permanent changes vs. "going on a medifast diet"
    Also, w TSFL, the coach walks the client through a transition phase where Medifast meals are decreased and "regular food" is increased. The coach then walks the client through maintenance but by this time the client is armed with knowledge and mind set changes. THERE IS A BIG DIFFERENCE! People who utilize the Habits of Health System and a health coach are more likely to keep their weight off long term because they did not simply go "on a diet" The KEY is that the client must be ready to change their life and must be willing to create health. Not everyone is ready for that. I have had clients refuse to read the book, and kept the diet mentality and I do not feel they will keep the weight off forever; but the clients who choose health, and embrace the entire program do really well long term!
  • janetrblum
    Options
    One thing more, if I may, just to clarify: People are talking about Medifast food being expensive and I want to clarify that the food costs approximately $11 per day. Many people find that they are SAVING money because prior to the plan, they were spending $10 a day on lunch alone, or $5 on their morning bagel and coffee. My point is that one must buy food no matter what plan they are on. Many people find that the structure of this plan and the results, help them to become more motivated to LEARN about food and nutrition, EXPLORE their own eating behaviors and triggers and become more open to trying new foods (veggies/ lean protein at dinner)
    TSFL is not for everyone and certainly it is not designed to do forever. What it is designed to do is to help people to get over their "addiction" for high sugar, high fat, high sodium foods, get healthy and then slowly introduce the "other foods", one at a time back into their lives. Support is extremely important in ANY plan, and if your husband will commit to regular visits with a dietitian then that is great! Many people will not keep up with it. The TSFL health coach can coach by phone and one can have regular contact and support without going to meetings or leaving their homes. For SOME people, this works best.
  • smn76237
    smn76237 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    My dad is doing Medifast. It is just a VLCD high in protein and low carb. He's lost like 33lbs in 5 weeks and his blood pressure is down and can breathe better, so for now the pros outweigh the cons. He needed to lose weight, but I have no idea how he can maintain this. I think he started out between around 275lbs and is 5'10 and 61 years old. He was super gung-ho the first two weeks, but by week three he was feeling fatigued and "never quite full nor quite hungry."

I am a bit suspicious of the information they're giving him. He said they told him to MAINTAIN his starting weight, he must have been consuming 1800 calories. Go to any BMR/TDEE calculator, and that is waaay off. He scoffed when I told him I lose weight eating 1800 calories a day. Since he's seeing fast progress he doesn't want to listen to what anyone else says for now.

He's also very cranky. I would be too trying to eat 1000-1200 calories a day as a grown male. He was instructed not to exercise for a few weeks because he would be eating too little.

The meals he has to eat look pretty pathetic. I just spent a week at their place and so he went slightly off plan because we had a lot of dinners out (but still ate those Medifast bars for breakfast and most lunches) and he gained 2lbs just from the one week alone. So, I suspect as soon as he goes off plan, it will come back just as fast.

Long story short, it might be ok to consider if you are very heavy and have health problems from your weight that outweigh the cons of using a VLCD. But keep in mind it's expensive and restrictive.
  • Rosiemac2
    Rosiemac2 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I lost 55 lbs on medifast....I did not mind the food....I learned to appreciate real food again since you must have a lean protein and green veggies every night for dinner....When you readjust your taste buds you appreciate brocolli again and do not need the butter or cheese sauce...I started drinking lots of water and cut of alcohol.....I also took advantage of th eonline support forum and read teh book Habit's of Health to modify my behavior and establish better sleep habits as well.....I have transitioned off the program and am now using this sit eto keep the weight off...I went from a size 16 to a size 6 and my blood pressure went from 130/90 to 108/68.....waist went from 40 inches to 29inches.....If you approach it as the plan was designed it is effective...designed by a Johns Hopkins doctor.....I now have learned to eat from scratch and have not eaten fast food in over a year.....Please do not judge this plan unless you have tried it...Now I was classified as obese with a BMI over 30.....if you only have a few lbs to lose this is NOT the plan for you...BTW my hubby who is very a very picky eater lost 30lbs:)