Tennage Boys hogging workout area

Options
Hi.. Just wondering how to handle an issue at my gym. I go early afternoons and apparently this is the same time high school lets out. So i have groups of boys (like 2-3 in each group/ 3-4 group) who come to the gym at same time. I like to do my squats (and usually deadlfits if possible) in the rack we have (we have only 1 rack and 1 smith machine) . I am a 50yo woman who finds it a little intimidating to approach the kids and ask if I can "work in' as they are using weights way heavier than i can squat/deadlift. Problem is they hang around a machine/rack for hours and watch each other and take turns. What should I do? just "man up" and approach them and ask can I get in there for a few minutes? Any suggestions on how to tactfully ask or has anyone encountered this and how didyou handle it?

Replies

• LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    Man up and ask them if you can work in.

And if they give you sass, put them in their place. Teenagers are all bravado - as soon as you call them on it, they back off big time. But honestly, most of them are usually polite and pleasant.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    "How many sets do you have left?"
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    Work in, or go at a different time.

Main reason I work out in the morning vs. afternoon. To avoid the packs of HS kids in our tiny gym.
  • eowynmn
    eowynmn Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I say just tell them you need a turn to do your workout - if they are there all afternoon, they probably aren't in a hurry. And since they are boys, they probably appreciate that you don't lift as much as them, because their fragile teenage egos would be squashed by a woman show them who's the boss. I really think you should just say something, remember that they will see you as their mother's age (sorry) and would probably defer some respect to you for that reason.

I know when teenage boys at my YMCA do stupid things, or if I ask someone to move because they are standing right in front of the freeweights taking selfies of themselves, they are usually very polite because teenagers often are not confident at the gym too - which is why they are in packs of 3-4.
  • jenelizmin
    jenelizmin Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I can find gaggles of teenagers a bit intimidating too, but I'm also the parent of one of them. Fortunately for me, our gym only allows kids/teens at certain times and I tend to avoid those times. If that isn't the case, you can do one of 3 things

1. go at a different time

2. scare them, teen boys are like stray cats they hiss and spit until you get too close. In other words say something like "hey guys I need to jump in real quick"

3. feed their petty ego's and know that at some point there mother has told them to respect women. My favorite approach goes kind of like this. "Hey guys you won't be too intimidated if I jump in and show you up a bit, will you? I may only lift half as much but I could give a killer lecture at the same time, just ask my kids. haha" or even tell them you know you can't lift as much as them but maybe if they give you some pointers you could improve. It may be total BS but the kids will feel good and you'll be more comfortable while getting your workout in.

Of course if the kids are little jerks or don't work with you then I'd go to the staff. My experience is they tend to accomodate the adults that pay more than children whos parents do
  • Alphastate
    Alphastate Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    ^^ This. Hopefully it would give them some awareness to people other than themselves.
  • Sublimely_Self_Righteous
    Options
    Tennagers are the worst.
  • Hexahedra
    Hexahedra Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    Just go to them and ask nicely, they'll very likely to let you do what you need to do.

At least these guys actually work out. A couple of times I ran into a group of teens hogging a free weight area mostly to chit chat and sit on their bums. I was this close to saying "pump or leave".
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options

I use this often...
  • murphy612
    murphy612 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    They are more scared of you then you are of them :-) Just ask to work in, they will probably scurry away.
  • davideickelmann
    davideickelmann Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    "How many sets do you have left" appears to be the clear winner.
  • FrnkLft
    FrnkLft Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options

^^ This always works for me. I don't ask to use the machine, I don't explain myself, I just ask how many sets they have left. If they are serious about lifting they will be totally cool about it and either tell you their sets (and you just have to wait) or if they really are just screwing around, they usually give it up or finish quickly.

I know it's intimidating to be in the "man section", but seriously whenever I see a woman in the weight section I think it's awesome and every guy I know thinks the same, regardless of the woman's age or weight or whatever.

And as for working in, I personally hate it lol if I'm using a space or weight I just ask someone to wait for 5-10 minutes while I finish up (and I stick to my word), or if someone suggests I work in, I decline and give them some space to wrap up while I wait nearby (or if possible/I feel like it, I go do another exercise in the meantime).

Now, if the little jerks are standing right in front of the weight racks doing their curls and I'm trying to put my weights back, I just say "excuse me" right next to them and in the steadiest most "get the **** out of my way" tone I can manage. This... this I love doing. :)
  • janicearyan
    janicearyan Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    thanks everyone.. i will def use the "how many reps you got left" a part of my day when the boys are hogging.. Much appreciated your insight!!
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure 95 percent of teens would not mind at all if you asked them to finish up and move on.
  • MrsSenecal
    MrsSenecal Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I work 4pm-12am and I go to the gym at around 12pm. It is DEAD in there. I can tan, workout and use the Sauna all without hardly seeing anyone. You have to find the best times you can work it into your schedule with the fewest people there. Or just work in where they are and make it awkward for them so they stay away LOL
  • moondawg14
    moondawg14 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Tennagers are the worst.

Not quite. Teenagers are *oblivious* But, by being courteous and polite adults, we can help them to become the same. I used to work with teens on a daily basis. They may not be the most observant group of people, but once you've alerted them to some issue/problem/need... for the most part they become genuinely involved.

I would agree with the "work in" with them suggestion. Seriously, who wouldn't want a group of kids standing around cheering them on while they worked out! :^) And I bet that if you do, they all go to school the next day telling their friends about "This awesome old lady that was putting up some serious weight in the squat rack at the gym."
  • Sycoholic
    Sycoholic Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I always open by asking "how many sets do you have left". They know they'll be there for awhile they should let you get in and do your sets. Don't be intimidated. They may surprise you and be a lot easier-going than you think.

I think the universal way to let somebody know you need to use a piece of equipment is the "how many sets do you have left" question. If it's some crazy amount since they all take turns, ask if they wouldn't mind you cutting in to get your sets done. Maybe be polite and ask "Since you guys will be here for so long, would you mind if I cut in and do mine real quick?"

After all, it doesn't matter their age. You're all paying members.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Man up and ask them if you can work in.

And if they give you sass, put them in their place. Teenagers are all bravado - as soon as you call them on it, they back off big time. But honestly, most of them are usually polite and pleasant.

this. you really can't expect them to move just because you're thinking about it. let them know you need the equipment and that you're waiting on them. it's very very rare for people of any age to be impolite to other gym goers so don't be shy about asking
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    Simply ask to work in or ask about how much longer they have. You can leave your towel there and let them know you're next. I do it when my gym is busy and we have plenty of teenagers in ours too. They're there to get fit and learn like everyone else. For the most part, I've found people of all ages to be pretty polite in my gym.
  • Joehenny
    Joehenny Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    I hate that