Any success stories by dieting ALONE (no exercise)?

Options
I'd like to see how a person would look like after dieting without exercising.

Replies

• mrsriisky
    mrsriisky Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Smaller but not toned- that's where I'm at now. I hated exercise for a long time, but after getting close to my goal weight and realizing that my body has really just become a smaller version of itself and not become the shape I want, I'm starting to exercise and it is paying off. You can lose weight by just dieting, but you will lose lean muscle mass in the process.
  • momzeeee
    momzeeee Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    I lost my weight with no exercise and looked fine after hitting goal. When I transitioned to maintenance I got interested in strength training and also started walking. Fast forward 4 months and now I look awesome :bigsmile:
  • simonc14
    simonc14 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    You can lose plenty of weight by just dieting, for sure. I think what you EAT is about 80%, and what you DO is the remaining 20%. That said, the exercise really builds fitness, which for me is important for long-term health.
  • BenPolonowski
    BenPolonowski Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I began my weight loss by dieting alone, due to a knee injury. I think that it helped empower me, when I had very little mobility. Plus when my knee began to heal, exercise was much easier. I lost about 30lbs. before I began to do any type of exercise.
  • Gogetter1314
    Options
    Im curious too!
  • krystynnaa
    krystynnaa Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    So far I have lost 43 pounds with zero exercise. I think I am looking pretty good! Maybe when I get closer to goal I will feel the need to exercise and tone up. For me it was already a big change to change my eating habits and I didn't want to overwhelm myself with too many expectations. In the past i would say I am going to quit smoking, lose weight and start exercisinig. All of that compliled at once would be so much I would just quit all together.
  • Marcidy
    Marcidy Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Hi! I went from 198lbs to 168lbs (30 lbs) without exercise. I definitely lost fat, but I found it hard to stay motivated. My calorie counting completely absorbed my life. 1200 calories a day. Every day. I lost the weight in about 3 months, but only kept it off for 9. I ended up slipping up and gained all the weight back plus 10 lbs. I learned my lesson. This time around, I'm focusing on an all around healthy lifestyle. I've found that any exercise, even a walk around the block after work, is a good motivator to keep moving forward. I currently run 2 miles every day and weights 4 days a week. Seeing results in my muscle tone and time, rather than the scale, keeps me motivated to take care of myself.
  • teddiebare
    teddiebare Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Here, I have pictures for you.

CBD987B9-5C66-4CB7-A3BA-5C381C4BDAD9-52591-000019873F8C81DA_zps51480065.jpg

This is the last 3 years. I lost 42 pounds between the first two images with no exercise. I've only lost 15 pounds between the second two and have added regular weight lifting. Here is a picture of my back. On the left after losing 42 pounds, on the right after losing 57 and working out. Pretty dramatic difference for only 15 pounds difference.

CEAF2250-24BE-4BE9-8B91-82B5670B459D-52591-0000198685ABC3CB_zps3bb5a73c.jpg
  • fooninie
    fooninie Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    ME!! I lost 40 lbs post pregnancy by diet alone! Have lost 34 by diet and exercise following the 80/20 rule!
  • freddi11e
    freddi11e Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    i stopped working out a long time ago.. i just focus on my diet. i'm thin but not toned. would like to start pole dancing classes soon... classes end before i get off work tho :/
  • mrsriisky
    mrsriisky Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Here, I have pictures for you.

CBD987B9-5C66-4CB7-A3BA-5C381C4BDAD9-52591-000019873F8C81DA_zps51480065.jpg

This is the last 3 years. I lost 42 pounds between the first two images with no exercise. I've only lost 15 pounds between the second two and have added regular weight lifting. Here is a picture of my back. On the left after losing 42 pounds, on the right after losing 57 and working out. Pretty dramatic difference for only 15 pounds difference.

CEAF2250-24BE-4BE9-8B91-82B5670B459D-52591-0000198685ABC3CB_zps3bb5a73c.jpg

Wow, what an inspiration! This is why I'm putting my scale away for a month and focusing on strength training- I wish my back could look that strong and fit!
  • xxmzangel
    xxmzangel Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    You can lose plenty of weight by just dieting, for sure. I think what you EAT is about 80%, and what you DO is the remaining 20%. That said, the exercise really builds fitness, which for me is important for long-term health.

^^ This. If you just want to lose weight, and not get fit, then just changing your diet is fine. However, I'd like to feel like I'm a more fit version of myself when I get to goal, not just a smaller one.
  • papillon71
    papillon71 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I have lost all my weight since January 2013, a steady loss every week, I can't exercise due to a painful severe lower back injury, I try to do maybe 30 minutes walking per week, that's it. I eat really healthy and have been on a 1200 cal diet since I started and have never gone over that. My body is changing shape, I have dropped 3, nearly 4 clothing sizes and so far no loose skin or ugly bits. I am going to try some light water exercise soon, but yes, you can lose weight consistently without exercise with discipline, healthy food and determination.

Happy to friend anyone that wants to share the journey that maybe also can't/doesn't exercise.
  • linalovekitty
    Options
    So far I have lost 43 pounds with zero exercise. I think I am looking pretty good! Maybe when I get closer to goal I will feel the need to exercise and tone up. For me it was already a big change to change my eating habits and I didn't want to overwhelm myself with too many expectations. In the past i would say I am going to quit smoking, lose weight and start exercisinig. All of that compliled at once would be so much I would just quit all together.

I love this! It really resonates with me bc to me, drastic diet change PLUS exercise is so overwhelming.

Also, I find when I have exercised in the past while trying to lose weight, my body required far more energy calories than what was necessary for me to lose.

My husband actually lost 70lbs, he literally has the body of Adonis now lol BUT he didnt even begin to workout until he was within 10lbs of his goal. He can eat a little more food now bc he is maintaining and so he does tons of hot yoga and is getting ripped. but he never wouldve dreamt of working out while dieting, far too hard
  • Brad805
    Brad805 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    It can be done, but why? I get it if you cannot for medical reasons, but beyond that I am perplexed. One does not have to go hog wild when you start, but the sooner you start the better. If the plan you choose is too overwhelming, it is the wrong plan for you. We all learn as we go and make changes. You really do not have a spare 30 - 50min two or three times a week? So much good will come from it.
  • Olieos
    Olieos Posts: 1
    Options
    Back in December (2012) I stopped eating wheat & flour due to a diagnosed gluten allergy. In a little under 5 months I lost 29 pounds. I dropped from 198 to 169. I haven't gained any of the weight back and since I cannot go back to eating gluten, I don't intend to see the weight come back.

In addition, I have stopped drinking alcohol (for additional health reasons). I do have a pretty intense sweet tooth, but I've stuck to Whole Foods chocolate with no soy.

It HAS NOT been easy. I've had to be extremely vigilant checking labels and eating out has become very difficult.

Now that I'm not losing any more weight, I intend to begin exercising or counting calories to pick my weight loss back up.

I have taken pictures, but I can't figure out how to post them! The weight is gone, but I'm not toned! Good luck!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!