Buying clothing for motivation?

Options
Has anyone ever bought a piece of clothing a size smaller for motivation? I'm thinking about doing it but I also wonder will it just set me up for failure (not fitting in it "soon enough" & discouraging myself). Just wondering what other people on this journey think about that idea. :)

Replies

• badgergrrl
    badgergrrl Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Yup. I have a pair of 'goal jeans' and a 'goal dress'. I can just barely get them on, and then I am so happy when I feel like I can actually wear them in public. I also kept a pair of jeans from when I was heaviest, so I know how far I've come.
  • scwilson38
    scwilson38 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    For me that is great motivation. I have a pair of scrubs and some jeans that are the next size down. Before I couldn't get them over my thighs, now i can pull them all the way up. Waiting until they comfortably fit and then I will go to the the next size.
  • alisonlynn1976
    alisonlynn1976 Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    I bought some too-small dresses for cheap at a second-hand sale. It's motivating to see them get closer and closer to fitting.
  • SageGoddess320
    SageGoddess320 Posts: 2,589 Member
    Options
    I do that all the time! Just go one or two sizes smaller and when you can fit into those, repeat until you're at your goal.
  • lorigem
    lorigem Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    I have a pair of jeans I used to wear years ago. They've been hanging like a work of art on the wall of my bedroom, collecting dust. But I refuse to take them down or give them away. I WILL fit into them again. Plus they're from Express - not cheap by any means lol
  • Pearsquared
    Pearsquared Posts: 1,656 Member
    Options
    I actually have motivation underwear. 8D I bought them a long time ago with friends, but couldn't fit into them. I couldn't bear to throw them away, though. I hope to eventually fit into them.
  • katmariew
    katmariew Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I try not to, because I feel awful if it sits in my closet for so long. Though, I kept my clothes from high school that I really loved and would like to still fit into, but I have not bought new clothes. Whatever works for people though!
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    I had some old clothes that I used to gauge where I was at, but I never, and likely wouldn't, purposefully buy clothes that are too small. I don't think it would motivate me, I mean I know I'll eventually be in smaller clothes. I don't need a teeny dress sitting in my closet to tell me that. But, a big part of it for me is that I'm rather picky about clothes and how they fit, and if I couldn't properly try it on, then I'd be concerned. I did buy clothes that fit but were just *thismuch* too tight, knowing I'd fit in them eventually.
  • lauraboo132
    Options
    For me sadly this doesn't work cos I always reach for the chocolate instead of the trainers but why not give it ago you can always ebay it if you cant bear seeing it
  • gillmitch
    gillmitch Posts: 64
    Options
    I have no such luck as 99 % of my wardrobe is too tight for me anyway so I guess all of my clothes are motivation to fit into then fall out of :laugh:
  • kit_katty
    kit_katty Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    I just worry that my body shape wont quite be in the same proportions as it is now, you never know. I'd hate to have a cute dress that doesn't look right becuase of that... but otherwise, sure why not?
  • yelliezx
    yelliezx Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    I have an old pair of shorts that I managed to fit in at my healthiest so I use them as motivation. I can barely get them over my *kitten*/thighs right now! :) Also, a white skirt that I've had since I was 14 (I'm 25 now LOL). I refuse to throw them out because I will fit into them again!
  • xinit0
    xinit0 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    I did consider buying my new size of jeans AND the next size down, mostly because there was a sale on, but I figured I'd just wait until the current pair of jeans started to get loose... but I am starting to buy t-shirts from places like teemagnet.com and such in a goal size ;)
    43932452 Posts: 7,246 Member
    Options
    Yes it works if you want it badly ebnough to motivate u.
    I started out in 26/28 and kept buying lower sizes to keep my
    interest ... I went thru a lot of sizes 'til now .. I think it helped a lot.

I bought all the way down to size 12 super skinny jeans. Tried them on not long ago.
    They fit but tighter than I wanna wear them even though I'm told that's how they
    need to be. lol I haven't bought anything for lower than 12 but am not finished trying.
    Once things look like they are fitting loose again, back to finding lower sizes for me. :)
  • noKTdidnt
    noKTdidnt Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I have a closet of my before-kids clothes I've been trying to fit into. As I've lost weight, they've started fitting again. Only problem? All this working out and having kids has changed my body shape. Those perfect jeans 5 years ago are now too big around the waist when they're too small around the butt.

So, if you're going to buy clothes for motivation, just keep in mind that your body shape will not just be you slightly smaller. Parts may get smaller while others get bigger. Allow for that change.
  • autumnsquirrel
    autumnsquirrel Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Has anyone ever bought a piece of clothing a size smaller for motivation? I'm thinking about doing it but I also wonder will it just set me up for failure (not fitting in it "soon enough" & discouraging myself). Just wondering what other people on this journey think about that idea. :)
    Yes!!! Then I got discouraged and stored it away. This was last year. The other day, I went through all my clothes to see what should be donated and found that smaller article of clothing....Tags were still attached. I put them on and they were too big:) It was bittersweet because I loved the shorts, but hey! I was smaller. I would just wait till you are ready to get new clothes and treat yourself to something extra nice.
  • nvpixie
    nvpixie Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I don't like doing that simply because I might not like how the clothing looks on me even when I fit into it properly. Then I'll be PO'd I spent the $ instead of just waiting and going shopping when I lost the weight.

On the other hand, it's great motivation to work towards fitting into something you really want to wear.

I guess it works for some, but not for me.
  • stud_pride05
    Options
    i agree
  • abbyreciouz
    abbyreciouz Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    omg I did this too! I bought sweaters size M! right now Im a large! I also bought cute jeans that are way smaller than my current jeans lol <3
  • missshyeviolett
    missshyeviolett Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    Well, I just bought this dress for my birthday that's in 38 days, so YES! LOL

d4b381a7c6ea84f8e9b5e8d4e803b55a.jpg