Calories Burned

Options
My pedometer says i've burned 84 calories for walking 5.4km per hour and this site gives me 190 calories burned. Anywhere i can find accurate information please?

Replies

• oxokatieoxo
    Options
    I did a little test on the accuracy of fitness pals calories burnt, i have done both running and walking and matched it with how many calories the machine told me i burnt and it was only a couple of calories out on each one...id follow what fitness pal says :)
  • lizziewhan
    lizziewhan Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    i would get a heart rate monitor. although i dont think this site is very far off!
  • oxokatieoxo
    Options
    as in at the gym on the treadmill :)
  • kitt7769
    kitt7769 Posts: 23
    Options
    Also remember the amount of calories you burn depends upon your weight and the amount of effort you put into the exercise. So if you work out of a machine or treadmill you need to input that information to get a more accurate number.
  • Luckymam
    Luckymam Posts: 300
    Options
    This has come up a few times on here. I never believe what MFP gives me for calories burned during exercise. The one example that sticks in my mind was: I did 30 mins high/low impact aerobics with My Fitness Coach for the Wii. It said I burned 180 calories. Then I noticed someone on here had logged 30 mins Wii bowling as 236 calories!

Needless to say, I find the 'calories burned during exercise' far too generous on here and, as I don't have a heart rate monitor, I go by what my Wii and pedometer say. Also, there are ,many sites on the web that will tell you how many calories you've burned during various exercises.
  • d_sep_64
    d_sep_64 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    The only real way to get a accurate calorie count is to get a heart rate monitor. The machine told me I had burned over 1000, MFP for the same time said just over 900. So I went and bought a Timex Heart Rate Monitor and for the same work out it told me I had burned over 1300. I believe the heart rate monitor because it tracks your heart for the entire workout. Before I got the Timex I thought I was only burning 800 to 1000 everyday I went to the gym when In fact I have been burning close to 1300 to 1600. The Timex was only $80 on Amazon and I would recommend it to anyone who wants accurate calorie counts, among other things, for there work out's. It is simply a great tool.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    The equations for estimating calories burned for walking and running outdoors are well-established. For those activities, the MFP numbers will likely be more accurate than an HRM, unless the HRM is set up correctly (in which case, the two numbers should be very close). If your MFP numbers from these activities are way off from your HRM, then most likely either your HRM is not set up correctly (e.g. true HRmax and VO2 max) or you have a cheapo HRM that is not very accurate.

If you are not holding on to the handrails, the MFP numbers should be pretty good for treadmill walking also. For treadmill running, however, they are off by probably 10%-15% (too high).